Not reporting marriage in home country

I got married in Thailand. And I didn't report it in my home country. I know, that it can be done by translating thai marriage certificate to english and bringing it to my embassy. But my wife will not travel to my home country. And I'm not looking for any benefits in my country from being married.

It's 800 Km to Bangkok, it will take several days to travel there and back, it will cost some money... .

Is it really necessary to report my marriage in my home country?

Reckon it depends on the law in your home country.

For the USA, there is no mechanism for reporting a foreign marriage.  Ah, at least one exception, if you are on Social Security you are supposed to report any changes, such as marriage.  I think this might also apply if you are on a U.S. Government retirement plan.

Mac

You might want to consider the position of any assets, pensions or income you have back home if you pass away before your wife. Probate isn't a pleasant or easy process and it's made worse by adding the complication of her having to prove her marriage to you to sceptical lawyers and embassy staff

i didn't declare my marriage in my home country, so i'm still officially single there. nothing bad about that, i suppose. as OP stated, it will cost money to travel to bangkok. for anyone who lives in bangkok,  the fees at the embassy will annoy you. nobody ever lifts a finger there for free.

34 minutes ago, osandpo said:

You might want to consider the position of any assets, pensions or income you have back home if you pass away before your wife. Probate isn't a pleasant or easy process and it's made worse by adding the complication of her having to prove her marriage to you to sceptical lawyers and embassy staff

In Australia,when you reach the pension,it would be fraud not to tell them,as you get 2500 baht less.

When I received my proof of life form, I added that I was now married. I then received Bereivement forns which allowes my wife to claim an initial payment of £2500 and then a monthly payment of between £100 or £200 per month for 2 years.dependent on her age. I'm worth more alive than dead, before you all start thinking the worst??

• 1 month later...

I confirm that if one is married, anywhere, it will affect ( my pension ), but that is the only necessity to tell home government. If not wanting any benefits from home government, IMO not necessary to tell them.

I didn't "register" my marriage in home country- just wrote it on the pension application form, and got married rate.

When I got divorced, just e mailed copies of divorce certificate. No doubt they got the embassy to check it out, and I got single rate pension on return.