Fallen crane causes traffic jams on Bangkok ring road 

webfact

Fallen crane causes traffic jams on Bangkok ring road 
By The Nation

11cd332a6b28b87422d988c7c085d9f7.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A crane being used to set up foundation pillars at a bridge construction site toppled over and blocked a one-lane section of Kanchanapisek Outer Ring Road in Bangkok's Saphan Sung district, causing traffic jams for about an hour on Wednesday morning. 

No injuries were reported and workers assisted by two backhoes removed the fallen crane within 40 minutes after it fell at 11am. 

Workers told police they had been placing pillars for the bridge to extend the ring road's Thab Chang toll gate area when the crane, parked on the Khlong Jek bank, suddenly tilted and fell sideways due to ground subsidence caused by recent rain.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319351

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-28

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I think it's a pile driver rig, not a crane

Correct.

Some Thai language report describes it more detailed.

It's meant to "hammer" foundation piles.

And this picture from a CCTV shows how lucky they were that no one was injured/killed.

750x422_761876_1498631842.jpg

(from bangkokbiznews.com)

'Workers told police they had been placing pillars for the bridge to extend the ring road's Thab Chang toll gate area when the crane, parked on the Khlong Jek bank, suddenly tilted and fell sideways due to ground subsidence caused by recent rain.'

A pity that didn't occur to them before they parked the crane there. 

Edited by Jonmarleesco

58 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Correct.

Some Thai language report describes it more detailed.

It's meant to "hammer" foundation piles.

And this picture from a CCTV shows how lucky they were that no one was injured/killed.

750x422_761876_1498631842.jpg

(from bangkokbiznews.com)

'And this picture from a CCTV shows how lucky they were that no one was injured/killed.' This time. 

Every day something happens  like this   around the world 

this came crashing down   maybe bad luck maybe missing a link bolt  what ever

.Good nobody hurt  just swearing in the traffic jam but around bkk is a normal day 

think  a few new bolts and a welding maching it will be used again somewhere

seen worse  in  the outback   and used no other choice  

comments like piece of junk or a crane certificate is realy  not the order of the day    people do write crap sometimes

Bet they never had mats under the stabilizer  jacks  and probably no risk assessment or ground reconnaissance carried out . Possibly untested / uncalibrated crane plus uncertified lifting gear plus unlicensed crane driver  . I do not reckon that the highway had been cordoned off prior to the work starting . Extremely lucky to not have casualties .

Not too long ago I watched the construction of a new store and all the workers wore high vision vests and hard hats . That is promising I thought until I looked over the fence and saw that most of them were wearing flipflops and the welder using sunglasses .

13 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I think it's a pile driver rig, not a crane

Yes it does a lot of them run on tracks rather than outriggers , prone to falling over. Had quite a few incidents with them on the Malaysian double track project