Switching visa to a different nationality passport

I've been in Thailand on a marriage visa for over 10 years and have continually renewed in my US passport each year.

However for various reasons I am considering renouncing my US citizenship as I also am a UK citizen.  Obviously to do this I've got to make sure nothing in tied to my US identity.

What would be the simplest way to get my marriage visa switched in my UK passport instead of my US passport?

I'm thinking:

1) Apply online for Type-O 3month marriage visa at the Singapore Thai embassy 

2) Leave Thai on US passport (getting a re-entered permit just in case)

3) Fly to Singapore and pick up my visa in UK passport

4) Re-enter Thailand on UK passport with 3 month visa

5) Go to renew for 1 year visa in UK passport.

Does this sound like it would work?  And I figure if something goes balls up I can just exit and re-enter on my US passport and continue with my current visa.

Edited by dave111223

The OP does not need a "12 month visa". He wants to go on annual extensions of stay with his UK passport after arriving in Thailand with a single-entry non-O visa in that passport.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

The OP does not need a "12 month visa". He wants to go on annual extensions of stay with his UK passport after arriving in Thailand with a single-entry non-O visa in that passport.

You must be clairvoyant  !  

Nowhere in the OP is there any mention of  "annual extensions of stay" .....   He does indicate a wish for a visa ...  "5) Go to renew for 1 year visa in UK passport."     An "extension of stay" is not a visa .

You of course may be correct making assumptions about what the OP wants as opposed to what he says he wants is unhelpful. 

I hope the OP returns and explains why the word "Visa" is used by him if in fact that is not what  he wants

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

But anybody that is regular participant in the this forum understand that many people incorrectly call an extension of stay a visa.

Infact some people call every stamp in their passport a visa which is totally incorrect.

Thanks for the tip!

I can imagine much confusion/error/frustration is caused by those who do not know what they want/have ......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, perthperson said:

You must be clairvoyant  !  

Nowhere in the OP is there any mention of  "annual extensions of stay" .....   He does indicate a wish for a visa ...  "5) Go to renew for 1 year visa in UK passport."     An "extension of stay" is not a visa .

You of course may be correct making assumptions about what the OP wants as opposed to what he says he wants is unhelpful. 

I hope the OP returns and explains why the word "Visa" is used by him if in fact that is not what  he wants

It was good of you to point that out. Normally, I would mention the difference between what a poster wrote and what he meant but perhaps due to the lateness of night when I posted, close to midnight in my time zone, my correct understanding of what the OP meant must have happened subconsciously — a bit like sleepwalking and disconcerting at times.

I talked to immigration in Bangkok and it turns out that I don't need to apply for a Visa in Singapore.

They said I can just leave on my US passport, then return and get visa-on-arrival on the UK passport.

Then I go to immigration and get my tourist visa on arrival changed to a non-immigrant O with 3 months validity...after that I can extend the 3 month visa for 1 year and I'm back to where I am now but on a different passport.

At least this cuts out the part of applying for a visa at Singapore embassy. 

16 minutes ago, dave111223 said:

.after that I can extend the 3 month visa for 1 year

Sorry Dave but you cannot. Visas  never extended. 

Do yo mean you will apply for an extension of your permission to stay ? 

Take a look at my previous post(s) and post  No.6

4 hours ago, perthperson said:

Sorry Dave but you cannot. Visas  never extended. 

Do yo mean you will apply for an extension of your permission to stay ? 

Take a look at my previous post(s) and post  No.6

I dunno if you think you are being helpful but you are not;  I've extended my visa for the last 10 years, so I know for a fact you can extend them.

People are going to read your stuff and think they are not able to get any extension and it's not true.

1 minute ago, dave111223 said:

I dunno if you think you are being helpful but you are not;  I've extended my visa for the last 10 years, so I know for a fact you can extend them.

People are going to read your stuff and think they are not able to get any extension and it's not true.

Your knowledge of fact is deeply flawed however ......

You clearly  did not read Ubonjoes post where he identifies people such as yourself.  (post number 6 ) 

Sensible people will read my stuff and realise they cannot extend a visa but they can apply to extend their permission to stay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dave111223 said:

I've extended my visa for the last 10 years, so I know for a fact you can extend them.

So would I be correct in inferring that you have managed to achieve this through a trip to Savannakhet every 15 months or so for a new real genuine McCoy multi-entry non-O visa for marriage?

Neglecting the word usage for a moment, I would think switching a passport and national Identity is not a trivial thing.  Conditions for the initial marriage visa are different for different countries and I would think the Thais would scrutinize this. How, I don't know.