Social Security not deposited today - anyone else ?

1 hour ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Mine was deposited at my U.S. bank on 1 June, a Friday.

The OP apparently is using a US address so his payments would be made on a Wednesday dependent upon his date of birth.

You like me and others that have an address for here get theirs paid on the 3rd of the month.

5 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

mine have been on the 27th

That is the date the SSA transfers the money so that it will be available on the 28th. Did you get yours this month?

Same for those that are paid on the 3rd that are sent on the 2nd unless the 3rd falls on a holiday or weekend. For this month they will be sent on the 30th since the 3rd falls on a Monday.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the date the SSA transfers the money so that it will be available on the 28th. Did you get yours this month?

Same for those that are paid on the 3rd that are sent on the 2nd unless the 3rd falls on a holiday or weekend. For this month they will be sent on the 30th since the 3rd falls on a Monday.

Mine aways is deposited 4th wednesday of each month.

didn't come this month.

I'm in a world of hurt after motor bike accident.

My dad says that SSA and gov't direct deposits used to be credited a day or two early.  But now if you are supposed to be paid on the 1st of the month, you only get paid on the 1st (shows up that morning).  Only if that 1st falls on a weekend or federal bank holiday, then you get paid the previous business day.

Been like that for over a year now.

52 minutes ago, kanderson said:

Mine aways is deposited 4th wednesday of each month.

didn't come this month.

Perhaps a problem with your bank. If it does not appear today you should check with your bank and then the SSA.

I assume you have not done an address change from the states to here recently. That would change your payment date to the 3rd of the month.

12 minutes ago, connda said:

Slightly off topic but still relevant: What's the difference between receiving SS funds at a Thai bank as opposed to a US bank?  

The only way to have the funds direct deposited is to a Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch.

Those are transferreded to the account on the same day they are in the US.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Slightly off topic but still relevant: What's the difference between receiving SS funds at a Thai bank as opposed to a US bank?  

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only way to have the funds direct deposited is to a Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch.

Those are transferreded to the account on the same day they are in the US.

DD Social Security Benefit to Thai bank (Bangkok Bank):  that acct cannot have atm attached to it; must go to branch and sign for it before they release it to your acct.  You may have a 2nd thai bank acct (at BkB or any thai bank) with a debit card and then afterwards move the funds there.

Using US Bank or SSA debit card:  You must manually take the extra step to get your funds to thailand....e.g:

• schedule set amount every month to be sent via ACH or wire transfer
  • withdraw via debit card. 
  • use a private transfer service like TransferWise
Edited by 4evermaat
3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

My dad says that SSA and gov't direct deposits used to be credited a day or two early.  But now if you are supposed to be paid on the 1st of the month, you only get paid on the 1st (shows up that morning).  Only if that 1st falls on a weekend or federal bank holiday, then you get paid the previous business day.

Been like that for over a year now.

Mine is deposited like clockwork around the 10th of every month, give or take a couple days.

If you guys who are not getting your SS checks deposited until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month want to start getting it on the 3rd of the month, all you have to do is to log onto your SS account and change your mailing address to whatever you use in Thailand.  It does not matter if your check is deposited in America or Thailand, if you have a Thai address or an APO if retired military SS will start depositing your check on the 3rd of the month to the same bank account you are currently using.  For guys not getting their check until the 4th Wednesday, it will almost be like getting and extra months check.

Mine is fourth Wed and it was deposited last night.

But I plan on changing it to Bangkok Bank, New York. Less hassle in one way, but then I will have to deal with the letter each year saying I am alive. Actually an address affirmation. 

Call you bank and ask if they put a hold on it.  If so, they may refer you to their bank agreement.That is the funds availability clause.  If they are short on cash or feel the check will not clear they can hold the funds. That is a Fed law.

I recently had my U.S. Bank put an extended hold for 7 working days on a large Bank of America check.

However, they should post the deposit, release $200 and show an extended hold on your account.

There are worldwide liquidity problems now.

Social Security direct Deposit to a US Bank is sent to the banks approximately 6-8 hours ahead of the schedule of deposit. It is sent in a lump sum for everyone and then each bank breaks it down to account numbers. I know this as I have spoken to my US Bank and they have confirmed the deposit will be available at a certain time which is Midnight on the day it is due.  I get my deposit on the 3rd Wednesday and it is in my account between 1:20 PM to 2 PM- without much derivation. Every now and then it takes a few minutes longer but never past  3 PM -Thailand time

Since another poster has already verified he got his direct deposit on the 4th Wednesday- the problem appears to be with the OPs bank-  He should call the bank -explain the problem and have the bank search incoming direct deposits (inward remittances)- the bank can immediately tell him what the issue is - if they don't have it- next call is to Social Security to ascertain what is going on. Do let us know what happened.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP apparently is using a US address so his payments would be made on a Wednesday dependent upon his date of birth.

You like me and others that have an address for here get theirs paid on the 3rd of the month.

Yep.  3rd of every month for SS.  VA is different. That is posted on the 1st.  If the 1st is a Sat or Sun, they post it on Friday instead.  I get it on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

At a US bank it will always deposited on a Wednesday by month of birth, mine was the third Wednesday, now that I am living in Thailand with a Thai address and a Bangkok Bank account it is the Third day of the month

What's the difference between receiving SS funds at a Thai bank as opposed to a US bank?

Your funds in a Thai bank are effectively frozen, only accessible by you, in person -- so having stroke could be problematic. Deposited in a US bank? Set up an automatic monthly transfer (ACH) to your "unfrozen" Thai bank account, where you can then transfer these funds from your bedside with Ibanking, or use your ATM card (you, your wife, anyone) to withdraw from any ATM machine. Cost to do an automatic ACH from your US account is exactly the same as having the SS Admin send your check to a "frozen" Thai bank account. Thus, the only cost is inconvenience (or real tragedy, if you really need those "frozen" deposits -- but are incapacitated).

A real no brainer -- unless you're without a US financial account, and have no means to set one up.

Be aware. Social Security has put out letters telling us that they are sending out Letter of Confirmation to confirm you are still alive every two years now. My check is always deposited on the 3rd of each month but a few months ago it did not arrive so I checked with the embassy in BKK and was told that my last four digits of my ssi # determined if I would have to fill in a special form to verify I am still alive on odd years or even years. Then once I got that figured out, they sent me the form which I had to send to the SSI Service Center in Thailand which is not located in the Phillipines explaining that I had not received my deposit and had attached the necessary confirmation form.

My check was then deposited within 5 business days. But you must be aware that this is now a ruling and keep track of when you sent it in and if your year is odd or even so you can be ahead of the game next time it is due. This is not new actually. It happened to me two years ago in Chile as well. So it is up to you to say up with these rulings and to make sure you comply with this new requirement.

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Your funds in a Thai bank are effectively frozen, only accessible by you, in person -- so having stroke could be problematic. Deposited in a US bank? Set up an automatic monthly transfer (ACH) to your "unfrozen" Thai bank account, where you can then transfer these funds from your bedside with Ibanking, or use your ATM card (you, your wife, anyone) to withdraw from any ATM machine. Cost to do an automatic ACH from your US account is exactly the same as having the SS Admin send your check to a "frozen" Thai bank account. Thus, the only cost is inconvenience (or real tragedy, if you really need those "frozen" deposits -- but are incapacitated).

A real no brainer -- unless you're without a US financial account, and have no means to set one up.

Basically how I do it now, my Bank refunds me any foreign transfer fees if any are charged.  Have Bangkok Bank acct but have not started receiving auto pay from SS into it,  may change it later.

When your monthly SS pension payment occurs depends on "when you applied for benefits" and "your address."   The SSA refers to it using a "Cycles" reference Here's how it goes

1.  If you applied for benefits prior to Jun 97 (a couple decades ago) then your payment date is  generally on 3rd of the month "whether you live in the U.S. or a foreign address."     People with a U.S. address in this category would be in the 80's....probably at least 82 and above.    People like me far, far below 80 and who resides here in Thailand (i.e., have a foreign address) also receive on the 3rd.

2.  If you applied for benefits after May 97  and have a U.S. address then payment generally occurs on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Wednesday of the month depending on your birthday.

3.  If you reside in a foreign country you are paid on the 3rd like talked about in statement 1 above.

See the SSA language of above at this SSA webpage.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:14 AM, BarnicaleBob said:

If you guys who are not getting your SS checks deposited until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month want to start getting it on the 3rd of the month, all you have to do is to log onto your SS account and change your mailing address to whatever you use in Thailand.  It does not matter if your check is deposited in America or Thailand, if you have a Thai address or an APO if retired military SS will start depositing your check on the 3rd of the month to the same bank account you are currently using.  For guys not getting their check until the 4th Wednesday, it will almost be like getting and extra months check.

If you want it changed to a Thailand address, you will have to deal with social secuity in Manila, you cannot change your address on the website to a foreign address