Bangkok traffic police: Nearly 8,000 motorcyclists caught on footpath or going the wrong way in the last two months

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

You mean, bribes?

Attack the problem, not the consequence. The problem is a too high number of cars on the roads, forcing motorcycles to use the footpaths.

Really, too many cars force the m/c's to use the footpath?  And pray tell what causes the riders to travel on the wrong side of the road, travelling against the traffic, too many cars as well?  I am sorry but an illogical conclusion. :wai:

Motorcyclists in Pattaya often ride  and park on the pavements....... when they can find a pavement wide enough !  Pavements in Pattaya are a rare  thing as many of the bars and shops have used the space set up tables etc. ... check out the corner restaurant on the right as you turn into Soi Diana from 2nd road !!. 

A good start in traffic control, but why does the rest of the country not have the same rules applied?

Because BKK is the capital and the highest population of taxis and the most dangerous for pedestrians.

If they can make it work here then they will roll it out

I think it was a good attempt by the traffic police.   As long as they hand out fines you can pay at the police station I see nothing wrong with this.  

Unfortunately it was just an experiment and it will get back to normal behavior tomorrow. 

On 6/29/2017 at 9:40 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Caught. Then warned. Farcical. This was supposed to be an ongoing clampdown two years ago, and cops - who themselves ride on the pavement, and park on it - were more interested in their mobile FB page than in what was happening in front of their noses.

'Jiraphat also said that local forces in outlying areas such as Regions 2,3 and 9 had been working with 191 special forces to stop illegal road racing by motorcyclists. Those caught had to undergo training so they would not repeat the offence ...'

Special forces. Wow! But there's only so much training a monkey can absorb ... and monkeys are somewhat more intelligent than these morons.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I think it was a good attempt by the traffic police.   As long as they hand out fines you can pay at the police station I see nothing wrong with this.  

Unfortunately it was just an experiment and it will get back to normal behavior tomorrow. 

It was an experiment two years ago. And it lasted a day .. or was it half a day? And there has been nothing since to suggest anything has changed. 

13 hours ago, petedk said:

Go to Thong Lor opposite Cammilian Hospital and at any one time you will see 8 - 10 motorbikes driving on the wrong side of the road and on the footpath.

The police put a rope along the center of the road to stop right turns into Soi Jam Chan. So now motorbikes cross over the road a good 100 metres before the turning.

How long will it be before there is an accident there?

A rope? Barriers. And as with everything else in LoS, it would work if enforced. As for them crossing the road, cars and bikes do that on any number of roads. It's called cutting corners, only here, the corner often extends almost to the next road.

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

I walk the walk ways on Sukhumvit Road every day and have not seen any improvement  at all. For fact it seems worse.

Notice the police said they gave a warning first offence You think they will take notice of that