Court rejects Yingluck’s request for court to examine rice warehouses

webfact

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Are you 100% sure, or you believe the General.

Sky I don't know how it was stored, but an inspection would help prove or disprove this myth.

An inspection at this time would just be a waste of time and effort as most of the rice has already been sold off.

A random daily/weekly inspection by independent consultants at the time the rice was stored 4, 5 or 6 years ago would be completely different.

There was an audit done at that time by Nattawut Saikua which showed no problems at all and the rice inventory was correct. It took a whole week when the PTP were in power.

When the junta took over and did an inventory a year or so later which took over a month they found many discrepencies and missing stock.

I wonder why Nattawut's team never found them?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, halloween said:

Almost right. Banks could not lend to the YL government after it resigned, as caretaker governments have no right to increase borrowing.

But it's a favourite red lie, dragged out as often as possible.

Not sure how correct you are but let's say this was the reason? then that's why farmers suffered not because anything YL did so thanks for conceding that point and, as a result,  hopefully your yellow spin may lessen a bit.

59 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

So why comment on Yingluck deserving punishment then?

You want Yingluck punished but can't say what for if it's not corruption.

Typical of you guys.

What I can't understand is what is it that fuels your unexplained and illogical hatred of Shinawatra's and how come none of it is directed to the likes of Suthep?

You don't care about democracy, fighting corruption, an impartial judicial system, the living standards of Thais.

For some bizarre reason you just want to see Yingluck punished.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Why would I accept a draw when I've towelled you up?

If you don't know the difference between Judges and a Council of Elders then that pretty much resolves the who is smarter than who issue.

Regards,

Smarter. Than. You!

Come on guys she is a good looking Thai hope she becomes Pm again one day

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

An inspection at this time would just be a waste of time and effort as most of the rice has already been sold off.

A random daily/weekly inspection by independent consultants at the time the rice was stored 4, 5 or 6 years ago would be completely different.

There was an audit done at that time by Nattawut Saikua which showed no problems at all and the rice inventory was correct. It took a whole week when the PTP were in power.

When the junta took over and did an inventory a year or so later which took over a month they found many discrepencies and missing stock.

Yeah, Thailand has such a strong history of transparency and independent auditing.

A tradition which continues to this day as seen with the recent government actions regarding submarines, railways and observation towers.

The issue is not the presence of corruption or not, the issue is the unequal application of the law.

How to fix the system, with coups or with democracy.

Edited by Smarter Than You

28 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Not sure how correct you are but let's say this was the reason? then that's why farmers suffered not because anything YL did so thanks for conceding that point and, as a result,  hopefully your yellow spin may lessen a bit.

That is not correct also.

The PTP were unable to pay the farmers going back to the September/October 2013.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698263-farmers-lodging-lawsuit-against-thai-govt-for-failed-payment/

It was supposedly a zero sum revolving budget where the government borrowed money from the BAAC to buy and store the rice, pay the farmers etc and then they paid the loans back when they sold the rice stocks.

If they could have sold the rice at a price higher than they paid for it, which was at a far higher price than the world market prices then there is no doubt that it would have worked.

However those pesky Indians and Vietnamese wouldn't play dirty and sold their stocks of rice in the open market and poor Thailand was left with hundreds of thousands of tons of unsold rice which in many cases was badly stored and starting to rot.

Of course not being able to sell your rice except at a huge loss means that you cannot repay your loans and eventually the BAAC pulled the plug.

After that no other banks wanted to lend the government money so the government couldn,t pay the farmers even back in 2013, so in December 2013, Yingluck, acting on the best advice (from her brother of course) dissolved parliament and went into the caretaker mode.

This of course meant that the government (ANY Thai government in fact) was not allowed to borrow money from anywhere in case they lost the election and the incoming government was stuck with the loans.

And that is why the farmers didn't get paid.

Unless of course you have a different story.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The PTP were unable to pay the farmers going back to the September/October 2013.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698263-farmers-lodging-lawsuit-against-thai-govt-for-failed-payment/

It was supposedly a zero sum revolving budget where the government borrowed money from the BAAC to buy and store the rice, pay the farmers etc and then they paid the loans back when they sold the rice stocks.

If they could have sold the rice at a price higher than they paid for it, which was at a far higher price than the world market prices then there is no doubt that it would have worked.

However those pesky Indians and Vietnamese wouldn't play dirty and sold their stocks of rice in the open market and poor Thailand was left with hundreds of thousands of tons of unsold rice which in many cases was badly stored and starting to rot.

Of course not being able to sell your rice except at a huge loss means that you cannot repay your loans and eventually the BAAC pulled the plug.

After that no other banks wanted to lend the government money so the government couldn,t pay the farmers even back in 2013, so in December 2013, Yingluck, acting on the best advice (from her brother of course) dissolved parliament and went into the caretaker mode.

This of course meant that the government (ANY Thai government in fact) was not allowed to borrow money from anywhere in case they lost the election and the incoming government was stuck with the loans.

Of course a different story, don't worry that it won't be factual, just made up to look good. :wai:

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You are well and truly off with the faeries here sunshine.

Yingluck dissolved parliament to avoid paying rice farmers - absurdist nonsense (as well as being an outright lie).

If no bank wanted to lend money to the caretaker government, why did Suthep feel the need to threaten them all with a visit from his street mob?

Those living in reality have facts, those living in the land of fascistic delusion have stories.

9 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

You are well and truly off with the faeries here sunshine.

Yingluck dissolved parliament to avoid paying rice farmers - absurdist nonsense.

If no bank wanted to lend money to the caretaker government, why did Suthep feel the need to threaten them all with a visit from his street mob?

Those living in reality have facts, those living in the land of fascistic delusion have stories.

BANGKOK, 31 January 2014 (NNT) – No banks were reportedly present at the government’s auction of a bridging loan worth 20 billion baht, which is to be used to pay farmers in the rice pledging scheme, due to fear of risks and lack of clarity.

There was one bank willing to lend out money, but they got cold feet when people starting to withdraw ther money.

Edited by Skywalker69

52 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

BANGKOK, 31 January 2014 (NNT) – No banks were reportedly present at the government’s auction of a bridging loan worth 20 billion baht, which is to be used to pay farmers in the rice pledging scheme, due to fear of risks and lack of clarity.

There was one bank willing to lend out money, but they got cold feet when people starting to withdraw ther money.

Due to fear of ... Suthep and the powerful forces behind the thug.

"People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC)'s secretary-general Suthep Thuangsuban, meanwhile, announced on a stage rally to anti-government protesters that the group is monitoring any irregularities in commercial banks this week and will march there for a shutdown in case any banks plan to lend to the caretaker government. (MCOT online news)"

PDRC leader Suthep warns banks against rice loans to government ...

From your link

"Mr Piti Tantakasem, Chief Wholesale Banking Officer of TMB Bank, revealed that the bank opted not to engage in the auction because the legal terms were still unclear, making the loan an extremely risky one. He said the bank was seeking consultation with its risk assessment panel and the decision whether or not it would take part in the next round of auction was still pending."

Would TMB = Thai Military Bank?

Imagine that, a military entity helping forment a coup.

BTW - How many countries you know of where the military owns banks and TV stations?

And there is this:

"The state-owned Krung Thai Bank and Government Savings Bank already agreed to loan the BAAC a combined $1.3 billion to finance the rice program which has been implemented since the last two years, according to the acting premier."

"However, she added, the anti-government protesters have obviously tried to thwart the rice program and pressed executive Krung Thai and GSB officials to stop providing the money for the BAAC."

"There has been currently a political conspiracy aimed at deposing the elected government and virtually holding the farmers hostage.

Thai govt's rice program to go on - World - Chinadaily.com.cn

And this:

"BANGKOK: -- Long-overdue government subsidy payments to farmers under the rice-pledging scheme will begin next week, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday."

"Deputy Finance Minister Benja Louichareon said the money - the amount was not specified - had been borrowed partly from the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC)."

"Benja said the loan was secured under a Cabinet approval, dated September 23, 2013, and the Finance Ministry had provided financial resources to guarantee it."

Rice farmers to get payments next week, Yingluck assures

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Are so you are now an expert in rice storage and its aging process?

A court searching for the truth, should want to examine all the facts and all the evidence. If Yinglucks team felt it important to physically see the warehouses, they undoubtedly had a reason for that. One has to suspect given the courts refusal that the verdict is a foregone conclusion and one that does not bode well for the former PM.

I wonder why Yingluck asked to inspects these warehouses and not the ones that were found to have scaffolding under 1st few sacks of rice :unsure:

42 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I wonder why Yingluck asked to inspects these warehouses and not the ones that were found to have scaffolding under 1st few sacks of rice :unsure:

Could be that the warehouses that have the scaffolding have been inspected which accounts for their finding of the scaffolds :shock1:

3 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Are so you are now an expert in rice storage and its aging process?

NO, nor have I ever claimed to be.

Are you?

I do have a slight advantage perhaps, of being here in Thailand during the period of the rice scheme, of reading the news online, the newspapers online, living in rural Thailand with Thai friends who actually are rice farmers and do know what they are talking about, especially about delayed payments.

I also watched warehouses being built in about 5 or 6 places that never had them before and from what my non-experts eyes could see there was no sign of temperature or humidity control which I have been told is important for the long term storage of rice.

How about you?

46 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Are you?

I do have a slight advantage perhaps, of being here in Thailand during the period of the rice scheme, of reading the news online, the newspapers online, living in rural Thailand with Thai friends who actually are rice farmers and do know what they are talking about, especially about delayed payments.

I also watched warehouses being built in about 5 or 6 places that never had them before and from what my non-experts eyes could see there was no sign of temperature or humidity control which I have been told is important for the long term storage of rice.

How about you?

Sounds like you've been inside and inspected the exact same number of rice warehouses as me.

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Are you?

How about you?

Read your statement again from where my comment is drawn. You elude to what happened.

I lived in Chiang Rai. My In-laws are rice farmers. My mother-in law 6 sisters are rice farmers. Most of their Children are rice farmers. My wife has a rice farm.

All I have said is an audit can be done. Just to educate you in this principle it would be like a 'Forensic Audit':

"A forensic audit is the process of reviewing a person's or company's financial statements to determine if they are accurate and lawful. Forensic accounting is most commonly associated with the IRS and tax audits, but it may also be commissioned by private companies to establish a complete view of a single entity's finance.

Forensic audits are used wherever an entity's finances present a legal concern. For instance, it is used in cases of suspected embezzlement or fraud, to determine tax liability, to investigate a spouse during divorce proceedings or to investigate allegations of bribery, among other reasons.

Forensic audits are performed by a class of professionals with skillsets in both criminology and accounting who specialize in following a money trail, keeping track of fraudulent and actual balance sheets and checking for inaccuracies in overall and detailed reports of income or expenditures. If they find discrepancies, it may be the auditor's job to investigate and determine the reason for it, or it may be the job of a separate financial investigator.

Law Dictionary: What Is a Forensic Audit? "

34 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Read your statement again from where my comment is drawn. You elude to what happened.

I lived in Chiang Rai. My In-laws are rice farmers. My mother-in law 6 sisters are rice farmers. Most of their Children are rice farmers. My wife has a rice farm.

All I have said is an audit can be done. Just to educate you in this principle it would be like a 'Forensic Audit':

"A forensic audit is the process of reviewing a person's or company's financial statements to determine if they are accurate and lawful. Forensic accounting is most commonly associated with the IRS and tax audits, but it may also be commissioned by private companies to establish a complete view of a single entity's finance.

Forensic audits are used wherever an entity's finances present a legal concern. For instance, it is used in cases of suspected embezzlement or fraud, to determine tax liability, to investigate a spouse during divorce proceedings or to investigate allegations of bribery, among other reasons.

Forensic audits are performed by a class of professionals with skillsets in both criminology and accounting who specialize in following a money trail, keeping track of fraudulent and actual balance sheets and checking for inaccuracies in overall and detailed reports of income or expenditures. If they find discrepancies, it may be the auditor's job to investigate and determine the reason for it, or it may be the job of a separate financial investigator.

Law Dictionary: What Is a Forensic Audit? "

A forensic audit would be a wonderful thing to happen especially as during the period that the PTO were running the rice scheme there were NO audits done at all and TBH I am not sure if there has been a financial audit yet some 6 years after it started.

I assume that a forensic audit is based on the real books being available.

If however no annual audit has ever been done and no real documentation is available how would it work.

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Three pictures? How many storage facilities are in Thailand?

I am not saying the scheme didn't loose money.

Paying 15 000 THB for something that is worth 7.500-8,000 on the world market you will end up in the red. It was also a big scam. Many warehouses that the military investigated was found to have scaffoldings in the middle of the rice piles and vas emty.

7-24-2014-12-05-29-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

On 2017-06-30 at 0:56 PM, Smarter Than You said:

No, he threatened to send his mob out to shut down any bank that dared to lend money to the government to pay the farmers.

Suthep wasn't trying to protect banks, Suthep was trying to increase suffering to justify a coup.

Suthep did not want the farmers paid.

The government did want the farmers paid and were trying to get the funds.

Farmers committing suicide helped his cause so Suthep did all he could to prevent the government obtaining funds to pay them.

Pure evil.

"He then warned the state bank that it would face shutdown if it lends to the government through whatever channel be it is a loan auction."
"Commercial banks are also warned of any channel to extend rice loan to the caretaker government, possibly this week, with threat that they be shut down by protesters."
"Another key PDRC leader also urged all protesters who have money in any bank to withdraw their money if their banks provide loans to the government."

How ironic that in your silly efforts to persecute Yingluck you've embraced one of the most vile, corrupted and criminal people to have ever drawn breathe - Suthep Thaugsuban.

Hahaha.

He said the caretaker government continued with its attempt to secure loans from banks in its bid to pay farmers.

He said earlier attempt to pressure both the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives failed when it was strongly opposed by the nank’s union.

He said that the government then turned to Government Savings Bank.

He said it was again protested by the bank’s employees after they considered the bank’s liquidity could be jeopardized.

“Now it is trying to get the children’s money to support the rice scheme. But this is not successful when bank employee alerted the PDRC and invite us to shut the bank,” he said.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Edited by Skywalker69

23 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

He said the caretaker government continued with its attempt to secure loans from banks in its bid to pay farmers.

He said earlier attempt to pressure both the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives failed when it was strongly opposed by the nank’s union.

He said that the government then turned to Government Savings Bank.

He said it was again protested by the bank’s employees after they considered the bank’s liquidity could be jeopardized.

“Now it is trying to get the children’s money to support the rice scheme. But this is not successful when bank employee alerted the PDRC and invite us to shut the bank,” he said.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make here???

The very first sentence of your link.

"Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters."

followed by

"He then warned the state bank that it would face shutdown if it lends to the government through whatever channel be it is a loan auction."

Clearly Suthep had the wellbeing of the rice farmers as his highest priority.

How ironic that in your silly efforts to persecute Yingluck you've embraced one of the most vile, corrupted and criminal people to have ever drawn breathe - Suthep Thaugsuban.

Hahaha.

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A forensic audit would be a wonderful thing to happen especially as during the period that the PTO were running the rice scheme there were NO audits done at all and TBH I am not sure if there has been a financial audit yet some 6 years after it started.

If however no annual audit has ever been done and no real documentation is available how would it work.

At that particular moment in time, the forensic audit unit was occupied inspecting the books for the military's Rajabhakti Park project and then they had to hurry off to give the Thai Airways - Rolls Royce contracts a quick review.

At the moment they're also fully booked ensuring the High Speed Rail, Submarine, Observation Tower and Military Vehicle "re-sale" unit are all operating above board.

Is it possible you're applying a double standard?

1 hour ago, Smarter Than You said:

At that particular moment in time, the forensic audit unit was occupied inspecting the books for the military's Rajabhakti Park project and then they had to hurry off to give the Thai Airways - Rolls Royce contracts a quick review.

At the moment they're also fully booked ensuring the High Speed Rail, Submarine, Observation Tower and Military Vehicle "re-sale" unit are all operating above board.

Is it possible you're applying a double standard?

Good call STY.

Unfortunately some people believe that the world is still flat.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Bill have a read of what a forensic audit is and what they can do.

There are a lot of things that were done by a multitude of people in this rice scheme episode. My only beef is what is the true loss.

500 Billion baht is a guestement that may be so off the charts. 

There were also 7-8 other politicians that were going to get hit with a 20 billion Baht bill. What has happened to them? Where is their court case? Why not run it together to save costs?

The other thing to an audit for such a job is that it will be a team of specialists in various fields. Records for rice are gathered from around the world.

How do you think the Tax Department gives you a bill say for running a hotel when your return said you lost money. They go and do a linen audit, is one way. That audit may show you had a 68% occupancy rate not the 38% you are trying to use. I know this is not rice, but there are different methods used for checking. Scientific methods would also be used.

What would you do if the Government gave you a bill like this and you had 1.5 Billion baht squirreled under the bed (and you kept saying you were broke); and you wanted to stay in the country? I would fight like hell.

3 hours ago, Skywalker69 said:

Paying 15 000 THB for something that is worth 7.500-8,000 on the world market you will end up in the red. It was also a big scam. Many warehouses that the military investigated was found to have scaffoldings in the middle of the rice piles and vas emty.

7-24-2014-12-05-29-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

4 pictures?

3 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Bill have a read of what a forensic audit is and what they can do.

There are a lot of things that were done by a multitude of people in this rice scheme episode. My only beef is what is the true loss.

500 Billion baht is a guestement that may be so off the charts. 

There were also 7-8 other politicians that were going to get hit with a 20 billion Baht bill. What has happened to them? Where is their court case? Why not run it together to save costs?

The other thing to an audit for such a job is that it will be a team of specialists in various fields. Records for rice are gathered from around the world.

How do you think the Tax Department gives you a bill say for running a hotel when your return said you lost money. They go and do a linen audit, is one way. That audit may show you had a 68% occupancy rate not the 38% you are trying to use. I know this is not rice, but there are different methods used for checking. Scientific methods would also be used.

What would you do if the Government gave you a bill like this and you had 1.5 Billion baht squirreled under the bed (and you kept saying you were broke); and you wanted to stay in the country? I would fight like hell.

As I said before that would work IF there were proper records kept and honest audits carried out.

Sadly that has never happened.

As an example the PTP claimed a G2G deal involving the sale of rice to China and were proud of it.

In reality it was a scam, it never happened and several politicians have been charged with corruption.

How would that show up on a forensic audit?

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

As I said before that would work IF there were proper records kept and honest audits carried out.

Sadly that has never happened.

As an example the PTP claimed a G2G deal involving the sale of rice to China and were proud of it.

In reality it was a scam, it never happened and several politicians have been charged with corruption.

How would that show up on a forensic audit?

So your an expert in 'forensic audits' now.

You have to READ Billyboy.

So what did you decide if someone came looking for you for the bill YL has to pay?

22 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

So your an expert in 'forensic audits' now.

You have to READ Billyboy.

So what did you decide if someone came looking for you for the bill YL has to pay?

Firstly and lastly I am not called Billyboy which I find both condescending and insulting and shows your ignorance.

Secondly there is no point in my replying to your posts as you repeat the same tired old closed mind mantra.

Edited by billd766
changed a word to make it read better