Illegal foreign workers given grace period to comply with new law

webfact

Illegal foreign workers given grace period to comply with new law
By The Nation

bcc747c5a85387e4304be1884d9cc28b.jpeg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Authorities will grant a grace period for illegal foreign workers to comply with new regulations that came into effect last week.

Employment Department director general Waranon Pitiwan said on Thursday that during the first few months of implementation there may be manpower shortages in the construction sector, house maids and SME workers. He said they will not arrest illegal workers during this period but allow employers to send them to get passports, visas and registration.

The Executive Decree on the Management of Foreign Workers Act 2017 that came into effect on June 23 is aimed at controlling the amount of migrant workers in the country, as well as foreigners who work in Thailand illegally. 

Employers cried foul over the new law due to its severe punishment. 

Under the new law, people who employ foreign workers illegally will face tougher punishments, with employers set to face fines of between Bt400,000 and 800,000 for each foreigner they employ illegally.

Foreigners found working without a work permit face fines of between Bt2,000 and 100,000, or imprisonment up to five years.

The Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) yesterday asked the government to review the law and hold a third round to register nearly 3 million illegal foreign workers. 

However, Waranon turned down the proposal to open a new round of registration.

He suggested that employers hire local labour instead. Currently, there are 6,000 to 7,000 registered Thai workers seeking jobs each month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319534

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

5 minutes ago, jabsjabs said:

"Currently, there are 6,000 to 7,000 registered Thai workers seeking jobs each month"

seems awfully low 

If you believe previous statements by the government there is only 1.5% unemployment in Thailand.

I will bet this 'grace period' does not apply to farangs.

I don't understand why the worker is jailed for 5 years, but the employer only gets a fine. 

Imagine having to do wp for 50 people. of those 15 are going to get pregnant and leave in a few months, another 20 are just going to get fed up and leave. Or will the employer withhold passports and wp enslaving the workers more than ever before. 

There's that dreaded word again. 

Think 

I was considering doing some volunteer teaching in the public schools in my Amphur, but that idea is out the window now.  I'm not going to deal with a xenophobic government.  Like the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished", so why even bother going down that road.  
I don't see Thailand emerging from its feudal mindset that all non-Thais are Kon Daang, or literally 'different people' anytime soon.  Obviously 'different people' will always be something to be feared and sanctioned.  
As long as I can ignore the government, it's pleasant enough to live here.  It's best to stay off their radar and limit our exposure to no more than 4 visits every 90 days and one visa extension a year.  Other than that, I no longer want to deal with them.  

I was considering doing some volunteer teaching in the public schools in my Amphur, but that idea is out the window now.  I'm not going to deal with a xenophobic government.  Like the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished", so why even bother going down that road.  
I don't see Thailand emerging from its feudal mindset that all non-Thais are Kon Daang, or literally 'different people' anytime soon.  Obviously 'different people' will always be something to be feared and sanctioned.  
As long as I can ignore the government, it's pleasant enough to live here.  It's best to stay off their radar and limit our exposure to no more than 4 visits every 90 days and one visa extension a year.  Other than that, I no longer want to deal with them.  

You can get a work permit for volunteer work. If you're really keen to help why not do it legally?

53 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You can get a work permit for volunteer work. If you're really keen to help why not do it legally?

Is the school helping to get the WP as volunteer, I doubt it. You'll hear the typical "Mai pen rai".

Thais are not know to be law abiding citizens, but they can't be deported either.

^ It hard enough getting schools and universities sort permits when they hiring let alone if turn up offering voluntary services, they always like path of least resistance which was not care if staff paperwork correct or timely applied for as easier ignore it and if went bad it the farang who gets hassle and thai employers just go get another one and repeat same fiasco .

obviously risk of big fines annoying this thai mindset as how unfair that employer has responsibility !

Main thing that would improve migrant permits is simplified permits and clear rules that get followed and company hiring also needing permit to hire migrants . But simplified regulation and implementation plus thais following these legal rules just isn't possible with the thai mindset and corruption which would take decades to change via social values and education .