Stray dogs moved to new home

webfact

Stray dogs moved to new home

By Thai PBS

Stray-dog2.png

The Thai Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (TSPCA) today moved about 500 stray dogs from Tanod temple in Bang Pahan district of   to a new home.

The evacuation of these dogs followed complaint from the abbot of the temple that he could no longer afford the high cost of taking care of these dogs after more people have left their dogs at the temple for caring.

The abbot said food cost to feed these stray dogs amounted   to over 30,000 baht a monthly, excluding vaccinations,abortion in dogs, and other caring costs.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/stray-dogs-moved-new-home/

7 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

I highly doubt the abbot is paying for abortions in dogs. Many Thai vets are even reluctant to perform sterilization surgery, on "religious" grounds. 

In my area most Vet's will do them, and the Gov. Vet do them also.

And it's not on religious grounds, it's on moral grounds....And just for your info, Buddhism is not a religion.

It's a way of life...

27 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

And it's not on religious grounds, it's on moral grounds....And just for your info, Buddhism is not a religion.

It's a way of life...

Good for you! I was just relaying my experience from working in animal welfare all over Thailand since 2007. Perhaps you live in a special enclave of western vets with a focus on low-resource/shelter medicine.

As for Buddhism, most Thai government forms and questionnaires that ask for "Religion" (there are surprisingly many), would show it as one of the choices. But if ya wanna split hairs, be my guest.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:24 AM, doggie1955 said:

It's a way of life...

Are there any rules to this way of life, or is it left to interpretation by the individual as seems to be the case

There are still very poor people begging in BKK, now i learned the temple pays 30k baht a month for soidogs i wonder why they don't feed the homeless at the streets.

500 !! dogs all abandoned by their owners and dumped at the temple...They better hope the western reporters don't hear about that or thailand will get a bad name.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

There are still very poor people begging in BKK, now i learned the temple pays 30k baht a month for soidogs i wonder why they don't feed the homeless at the streets.

500 !! dogs all abandoned by their owners and dumped at the temple...They better hope the western reporters don't hear about that or thailand will get a bad name.

For anything in particular

On 6/30/2017 at 3:24 PM, doggie1955 said:

Never met a vet in Thailand that would NOT carry out sterilization.  But I've met lots of dog owners who would NOT have it done to their dog.

In both cases the reason is MONEY. plus for the vet, minus for the owner.