Cost of living in BKK... USD 640 a month!

visaTerebi

16 hours ago, seancbk said:

Most condos have a water purifying machine.  In my condo there is even one on my floor so I only have to walk 6 meters to refill my bottles (and it's on 24 hours).    They charge 1 baht per 1.5 litres.   

How do you know it is serviced regularly, and the water is clean?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Why is it this topic seems to arise so often? I can only think there are so many skint farangs trying to eek out a living. While for some their lack of funds may be rationalized to be the fault of someone else; however, I cannot subscribe to that chain of thought.

Good question. Myself, I wonder how they stay under the radar of the immigration authorities.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

You can simply drink the public water; many Thais do and manage to live.

Yes, and that's why they spice their food with insane amounts of chili to knock off the internal parasites.

Recently spent 2000 baht on a kilo of beef for a friend of my GF to turn into a red curry for a party. The liquid could have been used to strip paint.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, chingching said:

Ship out to where?

Good question.

Hope I never need to answer it for real but, off the top of my head, back to England would be the logical step.

I wouldn't want to follow the deadbeats to Cambodia and Laos trying to live on 300 bucks a month while kidding myself I'm actually happy surviving on a diet of Pot Noodles.

Mate of mine did that at 61. He was dead within 18 months

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:
18 hours ago, seancbk said:

Most condos have a water purifying machine.  In my condo there is even one on my floor so I only have to walk 6 meters to refill my bottles (and it's on 24 hours).    They charge 1 baht per 1.5 litres.   

How do you know it is serviced regularly, and the water is clean?

It's just outside the door to my condo unit so I see it being cleaned and serviced regularly.   I've seen inside when they service it and it has proper UV sterilisation equipment.

On 7/1/2017 at 0:36 AM, shadowofacloud said:

Well, if you are really trying to cut to the bone, 17k for an apartment is a lot. I follow a few real estate groups on FB and it seems that as long as you are ready to live south along the BTS (Bang Chak, Punnawithi or even further - they say there is life down there), you could easily cut this item by half. If you speak some Thai and don't need a condo, then you can reduce it even more, see: https://migrationology.com/cost-of-living-in-bangkok-thailand/

You also did not factor in the cost of transportation, utilities and internet. 

Utilities/internet/mobile is included in "having a roof" over your head.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:32 PM, dluek said:

Well since I just added up my spending for last month I'll put it out there:

Rent: 10,000 B (have a 2 bedroom 60 square meter place near Bang Wa BTS - yes it's far but great value, though I did furnish it myself a few years back)

Only 10k for a 2 bedroom, is this new condo built in last 2-3 years?

If one is forced to live on the cheapest possible budget its probably because of necessity .Going home may not be an option for various reasons .Killing one self is a final solution to what may be only a temporary problem .

One has to go into Buddha mode .No Alcohol ,or other vices they all cost money .Keep your internet ,it could turn out to be a source of money ,and will anyway keep you entertained and stop you from being completely bored . Content yourself in the knowledge that there are people with B100,000 to spend a month and they are still unhappy .Possibly because of actions and experiences in the past that are eating away at them .

Take it as an experience and make the most of it .It will teach you life leasons you would not otherwise have discovered .

If one is forced to live on the cheapest possible budget its probably because of necessity .Going home may not be an option for various reasons .Killing one self is a final solution to what may be only a temporary problem .
One has to go into Buddha mode .No Alcohol ,or other vices they all cost money .Keep your internet ,it could turn out to be a source of money ,and will anyway keep you entertained and stop you from being completely bored . Content yourself in the knowledge that there are people with B100,000 to spend a month and they are still unhappy .Possibly because of actions and experiences in the past that are eating away at them .
Take it as an experience and make the most of it .It will teach you life leasons you would not otherwise have discovered .

."Going home may not be an option for various reasons"

Why reasons would they be? Book ticket on budget airline. Go home to nanny state and go on welfare.

Or heaven forbid get a job. There is always always a job at any age if one is motivated.

Beats the hell out of living in a developing country as pauper.

8 hours ago, buick said:

i think the main goal of the OP is to attract people to his/her blog.  really does not care about an accurate cost of living for bangkok.

He says he has money, but is asking the question out of curiosity.

I think you are right, just trying to get some free advertising for another stupid blog and make money on ads.

12 hours ago, RachaRob said:

So many threads about how to live the cheap Charlie lifestyle.

Should have one about how to spend up big every month!

Great idea. How about some crowd funding or a big fat research grant from a Uni. Enough for about 200 million Baht each a month (only 2nd rate footballer wages) with some start up money for a Ferrari and a huge condo or villa each.

Then "Blog" about how we spend it.

Count me in.

:cheesy:

9 hours ago, anto said:

I'm certain there are people with lots of money who are unhappy,

mostly due to mental illness;  however, if I had to live in BKK in

a small room with a fan, no pool no A/C, no money to eat a nice

restaurants, see the sights of the City, attend concerts, theatre,

That would absolutely make me miserable.

22 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I'm certain there are people with lots of money who are unhappy,

mostly due to mental illness;  however, if I had to live in BKK in

a small room with a fan, no pool no A/C, no money to eat a nice

restaurants, see the sights of the City, attend concerts, theatre,

That would absolutely make me miserable.

A/C i do without already .Its healthier with just a fan and easy if you are acclimatised which i am after 10 years here .Getting out and about i mostly do on bicycle up here in Chiang mai ,but my wife and me also share a scooter .Eating out i do at Thai places for B35 but mostly like to prepare meals at home .Pool ? if i really feel the need occasionally go to a local pool for B50.Concerts /Theatre i personally have no interest in . 

9 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

."Going home may not be an option for various reasons"

Why reasons would they be? Book ticket on budget airline. Go home to nanny state and go on welfare.

Or heaven forbid get a job. There is always always a job at any age if one is motivated.

Beats the hell out of living in a developing country as pauper.

There are homeless Farang living on Jomtien beach area .They get some help from a Charity or they beg off other Farang .They don't have family in the West that can help .Their Embassy wont help .There are no budget Airlines back to Europe .They do not have the B20,000 for the overstay fine .If they did manage to get home the Irish or UK Government will not help a single man who has been out of the Country more than 2 years .They will help refugees though .

Contrary to what you think its very very hard to get a job for anyone over 60 ,especially if you do not have a permanent address .They may end up like the many thousands of  single homeless men living rough on the streets of the UK and Ireland . After years in Thailand one British Winter could easily kill them .

""""""Video about the Homeless Farang in Pattaya .It starts at 3.37 minutes ."""""

Another one ,

There are homeless Farang living on Jomtien beach area .They get some help from a Charity or they beg off other Farang .They don't have family in the West that can help .Their Embassy wont help .There are no budget Airlines back to Europe .They do not have the B20,000 for the overstay fine .If they did manage to get home the Irish or UK Government will not help a single man who has been out of the Country more than 2 years .They will help refugees though .
Contrary to what you think its very very hard to get a job for anyone over 60 ,especially if you do not have a permanent address .They may end up like the many thousands of  single homeless men living rough on the streets of the UK and Ireland . After years in Thailand one British Winter could easily kill them .
""""""Video about the Homeless Farang in Pattaya .It starts at 3.37 minutes ."""""

[/url]  
Another one ,

Interesting video. According to them there are 300 across Thailand that are homeless hardly worth mentioning. And really not worth mentioning in the context of this thread.
Those that are living on meagre pension of which there are tens of thousands nothing stopping them heading home where there is at least medical coverage in most countries.
According to to the telegraph UK there is work out there if you are over 60

http://www.diversityjobs.co.uk/cm/jobs-for-over-60s

@anto according to your vid there are 300 homeless farang in Thailand a number hardly worth mentioning especially in the context of this thread.

The tens of thousands of pensioners struggling and poor school teachers could easy go home where most countries offer free medical care

You are wrong about no job for over 60

http://www.diversityjobs.co.uk/cm/jobs-for-over-60s

>>You are wrong about no job for over 60<,<

I did not say no job .I am saying its very difficult .You may get one after several weeks ,months but what do you do in the mean time for somewhere to live and money to eat if you have no friends or family to help or if you have and you do not wish to be a burden to them .

On 7/1/2017 at 6:15 AM, janclaes47 said:

Then how you clean your mouth after dinner?

that is a great one !!!!   i'll have you know i spend a good amount of money on quality paper towels and carry a stack with me every where i go.  that is about a 100thb/month.  and well worth it.

i just laugh when a restroom attendant hands me a roll of toilet paper to dry my hands after washing.  i just shake my head and pull out my own paper towel.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:51 AM, InMyShadow said:

Just curious. Do you just get off the toilet with a soaking wet but and walk off into the night?

fortunately, i have a fairly regular 'schedule' and only require a butt spray a couple times in the morning.  this is before i'm even dressed for the day so it works out perfect.  just towel off and i'm all set.

My wife has a mortgage ... 10.000 baht. We can eat for 3.000 baht/month. Utilities come in at 2.500 baht (including air). Miscellaneous needs another 3.000 baht.

Before I met her, and learned she actually owned her place, I was looking at a nice condo in Don Meuang for 5.500 baht.

I think we do pretty well. The water purifier I installed is an awesome savings. Now we are looking at a car.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My wife has a mortgage ... 10.000 baht. We can eat for 3.000 baht/month. Utilities come in at 2.500 baht (including air). Miscellaneous needs another 3.000 baht.

Before I met her, and learned she actually owned her place, I was looking at a nice condo in Don Meuang for 5.500 baht.

I think we do pretty well. The water purifier I installed is an awesome savings. Now we are looking at a car.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You were going to live near the airport as a single guy? Just curious why would you do that

3 hours ago, anto said:

A/C i do without already .Its healthier with just a fan and easy if you are acclimatised which i am after 10 years here .Getting out and about i mostly do on bicycle up here in Chiang mai ,but my wife and me also share a scooter .Eating out i do at Thai places for B35 but mostly like to prepare meals at home .Pool ? if i really feel the need occasionally go to a local pool for B50.Concerts /Theatre i personally have no interest in . 

Enjoy your existence in BKK...I worked for 40+

years and enjoy living!!

10 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Enjoy your existence in BKK...I worked for 40+

years and enjoy living!!

Chiang mai actually .I hope your good health continues .I have been lucky in that regard so far at least . 

16 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Oh, Boo,Hoo:  most are a bunch of drunks that ran out

on their families in Europe, and the families want 

nothing to do with them

Some have been abandoned by their Thai wives when the money ran out .Some have Alcohol problems ,maybe exacerbated by their present condition .In other cases it was the Alcohol which brought on their present condition .

Archived