Runny Nose Mornings in BKK...Allergens...?

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As a longtime allergy sufferer, let me offer some comments:

--As I've been told by allergists before, think about your allergies as kind of filling a bucket. You can put all different kinds of things into the bucket, but once it  gets too full, it begins overflowing. Same with allergy symptoms.  There can be many contributory causes -- particulate in the air, mold/mildew, dust mites, pollen, nearby construction, etc etc. And your body can handle those up to a point. But once you exceed that point from whatever combination, you start getting the more substantial symptoms. So, in addressing the causes, you need to try to tackle any and all that you can. Every little bit helps get you back below the level your body can handle without overreaction.

--As for dust mites, to kill them and neutralize their allergens, you need really quite hot water washing temperatures (not just warm) for a period of time. And here in Thailand, most washing probably doesn't provide that. General washing will help reduce dust and such... But if dust mites are an issue, you need really hot water or adding an anti-dust mite additive to your laundry. There is such a thing I've bought and used in the U.S., but I have never seen anything like that here. I've used the first product below in the past.

http://demite.com/product/demite-laundry-additive-for-dust-mite-allergies/

http://www.allergycontrol.com/allertech-laundry-mite-control-additive.html

--As for bedding, I also use the anti-dust mite covers on my mattress and pillows. They can be a bit expensive, especially the quality ones that are well manufactured to provide a real seal. Some of the cheap varieties claim to do that, but really don't. Remember, dust mite allergens are tiny, microscopic, so they can get out of even the smallest of openings along a zipper line or anywhere in a mattress/pillow casing.

--As for medication, I've had good luck here with a generic local version of Ceterizine called Zyrazine, that sells in the local pharmacies around me for about 50 baht for a strip of 10 tablets. Been taking that for a while once at bedtime, and had no noticeable side effects at all.

--With the air cons here, there seems to be two different levels of service. For the basic 500 baht or so cleaning, they spray the front part of the unit and take out and rinse the roller bar portion, etc etc.  But my air con tech says that doesn't get to the back portion of the split units, and doing so requires more dismantling and comes with a higher price. My air con tech recommended that more comprehensive kind of service every two years or so.

--For general sinus stuffiness and congestion, there are a couple of good natural methods that can help alleviate symptoms.

--one is inhaling steam with a bit of pure eucalyptus or peppermint oil added, and/or

--doing some kind of sinus rinse with a mild warm water saline solution. There are lots of methods and instruments out there for accomplishing this. Just Google or YouTube sinus rinse, and you'll see various options. Both of these are widely recommended by sinus docs, and relatively easy to do at home once you get the hang of it.

--As for the location difference between Udomsuk and Chidlom, I'm not sure there's much inherent difference. There's a lot of crap in the air all around Bangkok, though I suppose being close to major roadways or close to lots of vegetation could exacerbate things beyond just the general levels of pollution/pollen.

--Some people seem to find that they have fewer sinus symptoms when they sleep at night without the air con on. Here in BKK, I don't think I could sleep like that... So I haven't tried... But I've heard others who have. It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Close up all the windows, and the air con gets you. Open the windows and turn off the air con, and all the pollution and pollen outside come flooding into your home.

Excellent response, TallGuyJohn. Thanks!
The idea of a cumulative effect of multiple allergens makes complete sense. (Similar to how multiple toxins can overwhelm the body'd immune system.)

I'd read that a really hot wash is necessary to kill dust mites.... I have a small LG all-in-one washer-dryer which, as a single person, has been great. Actually, you can set it to wash at 90°C (40°C is the default), which I guess would be hot enough. I did buy a new pillow which I immediately put an anti-allergen cover on (yes, it has a zipper...). But as I had bought 3 new pillows around 8 months ago(?), I looked at the washing advice and found one of them said it was machine washable, but only on medium heat. So, I did that; let it air dry a few days, then put another anti-allergen cover over it. (Actually haven't been using that pillow much since though.) One other pillow I must have cut the wash advice off of--a cheap IKEA one. I suspect it's also machine washable. The last pillow, a nicer Santos 'gel' type says it must be dry cleaned. I put that one and the IKEA one on the veranda until I decide what to do with them. 

While I was googling re: covers, I came across some articles citing research that suggested that covers are only about 20% effective anyway. But others (doctors, allergists, etc.) do recommend them. Well, they certainly can't hurt (though are rather expensive). The idea is they prevent dead skin (mite food), from passing through to the mites (eventually starving them), while *helping* to keep the mite feces dust (allergen), from getting to the primate (me). The one I got for my mattress looks pretty much like an ordinary mattress pad, albeit with thicker, denser weave on top, and a bit longer and more elastic sides. It does not cover the bottom of the mattress, which I found a bit surprising. If I'd shopped around more, I may have found something like that. I did vacuum both sides of my (IKEA single) mattress a couple weeks ago. Yes, I do sweat at night sometimes, so the mattress has probably gotten damp and a good breeding ground for the mites. You referenced a couple laundry additives to deal with mites...I've been wondering if there is some spray or something one can use to try to kill mites in a mattress. But, I suppose even if something like that exists, Would I really want to lie on something that had been treated with a pesticide? The IKEA mattress was relatively cheap. Perhaps, I should just get a new one, and look into a cover that would go around it 100% so it doesn't get infested from here on out.

Good new is, last few days I've had a completely 'normal' nose; i.e., just a few tissues used in the morning. I got over the spins I had 2 days ago, but still feel rather weak, like they could come back if I'm not careful. I've been meaning to head down around Prachuap, perhaps for a couple weeks, but I've been wanting to get a portable recording setup together before I go (I guess you could say I'm a professional guitarist), and I'm not there yet. Sigh.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can you clarify a bit directionally about that... I have a split level unit with the plastic, removable screen filters that fit on the front. Just in front of the removable filters is the front lid of the air con. Just behind the removable filters is the metal compressor fins.  Which side are you saying to place the Filtrete filters on?

Also, on that score, I was wondering about the issue of impeding air flow beyond what already occurs with the unit's own removable filters.. And then Oliver I believe posted an item above talking about only covering about 75% of the filter area with the Filtrete material, though I'm not sure whether that approach would really help or not.

I guess it all comes back to the issue of whether entirely covering the built-in filter with a covering of Filtrete is going to place any problematic strain on the AC unit itself.

This guy, who is a representative of 3M Filtrite India, says it's important to only cover 70% of the screens:

However, as I said earlier, on the (Thai version) box I got at HomePro, the pictorial instructions make it look like covering 100% is all right. I did originally cover 100%. But after a couple days, I sensed it was probably making my AC work too hard. As the guy in the video replied to one of the youtube comments, since the filters put drag on the airflow, the AC emits cooler air than it normally would without the Filtrite installed. Indeed, this is what I noticed. Not a big deal in itself; it just meant maybe a setting of 27°C on the AC now cooled as well as 26°C previously. But I also sensed that maybe the unit was having to work harder, and that maybe it was creating more turbulence inside the unit(?). Anyway, after 2 days I removed about 30% of the Filtrite from the two screens. Yeah, it seems like it's probably not catching as much dust now...but probably much better than not having the Filtrite. (Plus, I'd also bought a Hatari air purifier. Actually have mixed feeling about it though.... I'm now sure of much any more. :-(  )

It sound like your AC is pretty much like mine...which is just like the one in the above video. So, you attach the Filtrite on the outside direction of the screen, so the air flows through it before flowing through the screen.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It doesn't mean anything to compare in the past with now. My hay fever has got progressively worse in the past 20 years, and I never had any symptoms before that. That was while living in several different countries/ rural/ city.

Good point. Getting old sucks. ;-)

I find things that are minor, barely tangible in the UK become an issue in Thailand, eg, someone who gets a bit chesty comes over and develops asthma. 

It is true that someone who develops a nasal allergy seems hyper-allergenic, but what we are really talking about is the irritant component, because the nasal linings become very sensitive.  It's not that they develop further allergies.  So, ordinarily it might not bother you if someone pats a cushion, but if your nose is already playing up it can start a sneezing fit, by irritant effect only.

Still, we all have only one body and one life so nobody need be too definitive I guess.

Edited by mommysboy

33 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Excellent response, TallGuyJohn. Thanks!
The idea of a cumulative effect of multiple allergens makes complete sense. (Similar to how multiple toxins can overwhelm the body'd immune system.)

I'd read that a really hot wash is necessary to kill dust mites.... I have a small LG all-in-one washer-dryer which, as a single person, has been great. Actually, you can set it to wash at 90°C (40°C is the default), which I guess would be hot enough. I did buy a new pillow which I immediately put an anti-allergen cover on (yes, it has a zipper...). But as I had bought 3 new pillows around 8 months ago(?), I looked at the washing advice and found one of them said it was machine washable, but only on medium heat. So, I did that; let it air dry a few days, then put another anti-allergen cover over it. (Actually haven't been using that pillow much since though.) One other pillow I must have cut the wash advice off of--a cheap IKEA one. I suspect it's also machine washable. The last pillow, a nicer Santos 'gel' type says it must be dry cleaned. I put that one and the IKEA one on the veranda until I decide what to do with them. 

While I was googling re: covers, I came across some articles citing research that suggested that covers are only about 20% effective anyway. But others (doctors, allergists, etc.) do recommend them. Well, they certainly can't hurt (though are rather expensive). The idea is they prevent dead skin (mite food), from passing through to the mites (eventually starving them), while *helping* to keep the mite feces dust (allergen), from getting to the primate (me). The one I got for my mattress looks pretty much like an ordinary mattress pad, albeit with thicker, denser weave on top, and a bit longer and more elastic sides. It does not cover the bottom of the mattress, which I found a bit surprising. If I'd shopped around more, I may have found something like that. I did vacuum both sides of my (IKEA single) mattress a couple weeks ago. Yes, I do sweat at night sometimes, so the mattress has probably gotten damp and a good breeding ground for the mites. You referenced a couple laundry additives to deal with mites...I've been wondering if there is some spray or something one can use to try to kill mites in a mattress. But, I suppose even if something like that exists, Would I really want to lie on something that had been treated with a pesticide? The IKEA mattress was relatively cheap. Perhaps, I should just get a new one, and look into a cover that would go around it 100% so it doesn't get infested from here on out.

Good new is, last few days I've had a completely 'normal' nose; i.e., just a few tissues used in the morning. I got over the spins I had 2 days ago, but still feel rather weak, like they could come back if I'm not careful. I've been meaning to head down around Prachuap, perhaps for a couple weeks, but I've been wanting to get a portable recording setup together before I go (I guess you could say I'm a professional guitarist), and I'm not there yet. Sigh.

Good news! But be aware of relapse because it may be that you have a bacterial infection.  Unfortunately these can reappear.  Your symptoms definitely merit a check up.

A couple of weeks by the sea would likely do you the world of good.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It doesn't mean anything to compare in the past with now. My hay fever has got progressively worse in the past 20 years, and I never had any symptoms before that. That was while living in several different countries/ rural/ city.

Surprising!  I thought hay fever got better as we got older, but it is not something I suffer with so I guess you know better.

Is it possible though that you might also be suffering the hyper-allergenic effects we were talking about?  Even in the seaside town I come from air pollution increased over the decades.

Also.  Aren't there any medicines that help with hay fever?  (I know non allergenic rhinitis can't be treated).

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--With the air cons here, there seems to be two different levels of service. For the basic 500 baht or so cleaning, they spray the front part of the unit and take out and rinse the roller bar portion, etc etc.  But my air con tech says that doesn't get to the back portion of the split units, and doing so requires more dismantling and comes with a higher price. My air con tech recommended that more comprehensive kind of service every two years or so.

Anyone know how to put this information about there being two levels of cleaning in Thai? I have a hunch that my AC is still putting out air that's polluted by something. It kind of makes sense that there could be some bad junk still in the back of the unit. 

A year or so ago I had to have them come service it because it was dripping water down the wall. The second time they came to try and fix it they discovered the water drainage pipe that goes to the drain on my veranda was plugged. (They did finally manage to fix that.) I now wonder if that water didn't somehow get into the wall behind the unit and create mold. Or something. 

Thus far the lady in the office of my building has been great every time I've requested the maintenance guys come clean/fix my AC. (And, there's been no charge. In my last building it was ฿500 a pop.) If I'm to ask them yet again for a more thorough job this time, I'd like to be able to print something in Thai that explains the rationale for such a request.

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Surprising!  I thought hay fever got better as we got older, but it is not something I suffer with so I guess you know better.

Is it possible though that you might also be suffering the hyper-allergenic effects we were talking about?  Even in the seaside town I come from air pollution increased over the decades.

Also.  Aren't there any medicines that help with hay fever?  (I know non allergenic rhinitis can't be treated).

Of course there are medicines for it, but they don't last long enough and are supposed to be restricted to one per day.

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

The one I got for my mattress looks pretty much like an ordinary mattress pad, albeit with thicker, denser weave on top, and a bit longer and more elastic sides. It does not cover the bottom of the mattress, which I found a bit surprising. If I'd shopped around more, I may have found something like that. I did vacuum both sides of my (IKEA single) mattress a couple weeks ago. Yes, I do sweat at night sometimes, so the mattress has probably gotten damp and a good breeding ground for the mites.

You referenced a couple laundry additives to deal with mites...I've been wondering if there is some spray or something one can use to try to kill mites in a mattress. But, I suppose even if something like that exists, Would I really want to lie on something that had been treated with a pesticide? The IKEA mattress was relatively cheap. Perhaps, I should just get a new one, and look into a cover that would go around it 100% so it doesn't get infested from here on out.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better. The trick is, to try to figure out what you did, or what allergy source you reduced, that caused the improvement.

As for your mattress cover, sorry to rain on your parade, but the top and sides only kind you're describing is, I suppose, better than nothing. But to really be effective in keeping mites out of your mattress and from any where are spreading their allergens, you would need a cover that entirely encases and  encloses the entire mattress with a special kind of fabric, polypropolene I believe, that is breathable but does not allow mites and their allergens to penetrate. And ideally, you want to do that with a brand new mattress at the outset to keep the mites out in the first place.

As for treating older, existing mattresses, I don't recall ever seeing anything about that for dust mites. There are sprays that will neutralize them in the wash and on surfaces, but the issue would be, I suppose, how to get that into all the interior stuffing areas of the mattress where they live -- without tearing the mattress apart. Basically, IF dust mites were a problem, I believe the solution is to get a good, new mattress and seal it properly from day one.

And, thanks for clarifying and elaborating on the filter placement for aircon units. I may give that approach a try.

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

Yes -  commonly known as 'antihistamines", easily available OTC as generics or by many trade names.

Two of the more common that are easily available in generic forms here in Thailand have been mentioned above:

Fexofenadine --  known in the big world as Allegra -- known here locally as Telfast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fexofenadine

Cetirizine -- known in the big world as Zyrtec -- known here locally as Zyrazine, among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetirizine

Both are called second generation anti-histamines, meaning unlike their predecessors, they're not supposed to generally cause drowsiness as a side effect. There are other differences between the two, though when you try to read about those, the positives and negatives of one vs the other vary a lot depending on the source.

Cetirizine supposedly can cause a greater likelihood of drowsiness, but it also supposedly is longer lasting per dose. Fexofenadine has quite a list of things you should NOT consume at the same time as the medicine, especially grapefruit juice and some other juices because those will markedly reduce its effectiveness. Cetirizine doesn't seem to have those same restrictions.

AFAIK, both can be taken on an ongoing basis without the person suffering from the often called rebound effect that can occur with a lot of the various sinus spray medications.

Anyone know how to put this information about there being two levels of cleaning in Thai? I have a hunch that my AC is still putting out air that's polluted by something. It kind of makes sense that there could be some bad junk still in the back of the unit. 

A year or so ago I had to have them come service it because it was dripping water down the wall. The second time they came to try and fix it they discovered the water drainage pipe that goes to the drain on my veranda was plugged. (They did finally manage to fix that.) I now wonder if that water didn't somehow get into the wall behind the unit and create mold. Or something. 

Thus far the lady in the office of my building has been great every time I've requested the maintenance guys come clean/fix my AC. (And, there's been no charge. In my last building it was ฿500 a pop.) If I'm to ask them yet again for a more thorough job this time, I'd like to be able to print something in Thai that explains the rationale for such a request.

I can't help directly with your question, because my Thai wife does all the talking with our regular air con guy, who basically speaks no English. But one of the things I regularly ask him to do, with the regular cleanings, is to use a spray on the air con surfaces that will kill mold/bacteria, etc. Once my wife got that idea across to the air con guy, he seemed to carry in his repertoire some kind of liquid spray that he thinks will fit that purpose. What is it and does it really help, unfortunately, I have no idea. Such is life here dealing with tradesmen.

In the past few months, with a now 5 or so year old air con unit in our master bedroom, I had a very similar problem. We'd be sleeping at night, and all of a sudden, dribbles of water would suddenly start and then stop after a few seconds falling from the air con unit above our heads down onto our heads and pillows on the bed. It got to be kind of a nightly occurrence after we went to bed and turned on the air con unit above the head of our bed.

At first, I also thought it was a plugged or obstructed drain line. The air con guy wanted to do his so-called full service. But before going that route, I had him do a regular service and specifically flush the drain line, which in fact stopped the nightime leakage. But then in later weeks, the air con began like spraying tiny drops of liquid out onto our bed at night. So at that point, I broke down and called him back for the 2000b full service. And, fortunately, in the wake of that, haven't had any further problems with our master bedroom air con.

I recalled that 6 or 7 years ago I had made a web page about the funky, old aircon--and resulting funky health--I had back then at my old place in Chitlom:

http://bangkokmac.com/aircon.html

Footnote to that is, yes, my landlord at that time agree to go half with me on a much newer/more modern refurbished unit that the maintenance guys provided, which was a huge improvement.

Funny how when things are going OK your mind tends to disregard the schmidt that happened in the past.

One  procedure with aircon I do in Europe, in my car at least, I make it run once a month in winter, all windows open. This kills some of the bacteria that accumulates when not in use in the cold season.

For a tropical place, I would do the same, run the a/c with the windows wide open once a month...would this help to keep it somewhat clean????

8 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

One  procedure with aircon I do in Europe, in my car at least, I make it run once a month in winter, all windows open. This kills some of the bacteria that accumulates when not in use in the cold season.

For a tropical place, I would do the same, run the a/c with the windows wide open once a month...would this help to keep it somewhat clean????

Er, if it did help, I don't understand the logic of it. Uh, having the windows open would allow dust to come in from outside, which could actually make the AC get dirtier faster methinks. Also, since Thailand is almost always hot, the AC would run full blast, never shutting off since its thermostat would never click off.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:22 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can you clarify a bit directionally about that... I have a split level unit with the plastic, removable screen filters that fit on the front. Just in front of the removable filters is the front lid of the air con. Just behind the removable filters is the metal compressor fins.  Which side are you saying to place the Filtrete filters on?

Also, on that score, I was wondering about the issue of impeding air flow beyond what already occurs with the unit's own removable filters.. And then Oliver I believe posted an item above talking about only covering about 75% of the filter area with the Filtrete material, though I'm not sure whether that approach would really help or not.

I guess it all comes back to the issue of whether entirely covering the built-in filter with a covering of Filtrete is going to place any problematic strain on the AC unit itself.

Hi,  placement of the filter cloth should be directly on the removable filters..... on the side that faces outward and away from the metal fins.  So, whiny open the cover and look at the filters you will see the Filtrete cloth on top of the removable filters.  

I always try to cover 100% of the filter area.  Sometimes there is a small strip, perhaps a half inch wide that is not covered because the filters are a tiny bit wider than the filter cloth.    When I remove the filters to change the cloth ( about every two weeks) I wash that part of the removable filter to clear the dust and dirt from that area that was not covered completely.

I've been using this method for several years now and have not experienced any problems.  Hope this helps.  Let me know.

12 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I've been using this method for several years now and have not experienced any problems.  Hope this helps.  Let me know.

Thanks for clarifying that. I also remove and wash out the built-in filters on our bedroom aircon about  every two weeks. At that point, they've got a pretty good coating of dust and whatever on the front surface.

I wonder, how much more effective the Filtrete cloth is going to be when laid on top  vs. the built-in filters alone?  Do you notice any discernable difference in the room?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Today:
Original allergy problem (very runny nose, sneezing), continues to be way, way better, which is good.

Went to my local hospital (Thainakarin in Bangna), with intention of getting started with allergy test today. However, was informed need to have gone 7 days with no medication...I think I took 1 antihistamine about 5 days ago...so will go back maybe on in 3 days or so just to be correct about it.

While there I described my symptoms to an ENT lady who was quite good with English. I knew I had some wax buildup in my ears (had been meaning to use the Dewax drops to clear them), but she thought it was important to deal with that, so she cleaned the wax out of both ears for me. Wow, did that really make a difference! I mean, I don't think it has anything to do really with allergies, but could help re: the vertigo (spins), I had a couple days ago. She also said excess salt in diet can add liquid inside ears and lead to vertigo. Told her I had realized I had too much sodium the day before the vertigo.

But just being in that super clean environment of the hospital was a treat to my sinuses. Air wonderfully free of dust, a pleasure to breath...young nurses in clean uniforms....

But I digress. After had an appointment in Thong Lo. Enjoyed being out and about. As soon as I got back to my room and turned on the AC, *immediately* sneezed twice. So, obviously still some bad stuff either coming out of the AC or whipped up by the wind from it.

A bit later, layed down on my bed, which I still wheel by the window where it used to always be. Especially when I turned toward the wall (with the concrete underhang area), I just knew I was breathing in the dust mite feces/bad enzymes that had come out of the bottom of my cheap IKEA mattress as I rolled over on it. I gave up and wheeled the bed back by my front door where it was much more tolerable.

While lying there, googled about 'completely enclosing' dust mite covers, allergy proof mattresses, how to get dust mites out of a mattress. I.e., more research. Looks like Latex or foam mattresses are almost mite proof. I may try to get one, then cover it with an Allertex dust mite cover, so it stays as pristine as possible. Then I'll jettison my current mite trap into the ether.

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I also remove and wash out the built-in filters on our bedroom aircon about  every two weeks. At that point, they've got a pretty good coating of dust and whatever on the front surface.

I wonder, how much more effective the Filtrete cloth is going to be when laid on top  vs. the built-in filters alone?  Do you notice any discernable difference in the room?

I find that the Filtrete cloth removes more particulate matter than the air-con filters themselves.  I feel more comfortable because my allergies don't act up when I use the filters and there is less dust settling on furniture, shelves, etc.

Edited by Tracyb

13 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Today:
Original allergy problem (very runny nose, sneezing), continues to be way, way better, which is good.

Went to my local hospital (Thainakarin in Bangna), with intention of getting started with allergy test today. However, was informed need to have gone 7 days with no medication...I think I took 1 antihistamine about 5 days ago...so will go back maybe on in 3 days or so just to be correct about it.

While there I described my symptoms to an ENT lady who was quite good with English. I knew I had some wax buildup in my ears (had been meaning to use the Dewax drops to clear them), but she thought it was important to deal with that, so she cleaned the wax out of both ears for me. Wow, did that really make a difference! I mean, I don't think it has anything to do really with allergies, but could help re: the vertigo (spins), I had a couple days ago. She also said excess salt in diet can add liquid inside ears and lead to vertigo. Told her I had realized I had too much sodium the day before the vertigo.

But just being in that super clean environment of the hospital was a treat to my sinuses. Air wonderfully free of dust, a pleasure to breath...young nurses in clean uniforms....

But I digress. After had an appointment in Thong Lo. Enjoyed being out and about. As soon as I got back to my room and turned on the AC, *immediately* sneezed twice. So, obviously still some bad stuff either coming out of the AC or whipped up by the wind from it.

A bit later, layed down on my bed, which I still wheel by the window where it used to always be. Especially when I turned toward the wall (with the concrete underhang area), I just knew I was breathing in the dust mite feces/bad enzymes that had come out of the bottom of my cheap IKEA mattress as I rolled over on it. I gave up and wheeled the bed back by my front door where it was much more tolerable.

While lying there, googled about 'completely enclosing' dust mite covers, allergy proof mattresses, how to get dust mites out of a mattress. I.e., more research. Looks like Latex or foam mattresses are almost mite proof. I may try to get one, then cover it with an Allertex dust mite cover, so it stays as pristine as possible. Then I'll jettison my current mite trap into the ether.

Your nasal membranes will still be very red.  Hence the sensitivity.

Some shopping malls, eg, Central Fortune have a basement eatery and supermarket, as well as the usual donut shops, etc.  The advantage to being underground is that there are no charged ions.  Very good for the nose.  LIke being by seaside.  You will enjoy the view too.

31 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

I find that the Filtrete cloth removes more particulate matter than the air-con filters themselves.  I feel more comfortable because my allergies don't act up when I use the filters and there is less dust settling on furniture, shelves, etc.

Thanks, that's interesting...

In our main bedroom where we have the air con, we never open the windows. And run the air con all thru the night every day. And yet, every week, we still get a pretty good coating of dust on the table/furniture tops, etc etc...  So I'll give the added filters a try.

14 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I don't think it has anything to do really with allergies, but could help re: the vertigo (spins), I had a couple days ago. She also said excess salt in diet can add liquid inside ears and lead to vertigo. Told her I had realized I had too much sodium the day before the vertigo.

I don't see how wax in the ears would make any difference to vertigo. Vertigo is caused in the inner ear, completely separate from the outer ear.

If excess salt caused it most western people wouldn't be able to stand up- far too much salt in western diets. If a body is functioning properly, chemical balance is maintained by many processes, but the body wasn't supposed to live as long as we do now, so is breaking down since fully grown, and no longer functioning properly.

9 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Open the link.

Would you say the Mayo clinic are wrong to list earwax as a cause of dizziness(vertigo) and tinnitus ?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/earwax-blockage/basics/symptoms/con-20018904

I have no idea, but I had my ears professionally dewaxed and I still had tinnitus.

Medicine is an inexact science and sometimes they are just guessing. I was in the health profession for a very long time, so I have some insight to what goes on.

Certainly I was never taught that vertigo was caused by ear wax, and I did have to study the A and P of ears.

More info...

Mite-resistent Mattresses
It appears latex mattresses are the most HDM (house dust mite) resistant. Found a couple suppliers:
1) 
patexfoam.com, [email protected]
One location is very close to where I live in Udom Suk in a brand new 'strip mall'. They just moved there and are not clearly marked. Hopefully in the future they will have a proper sign. Address: 125 Sukhumvit 101/1 (See photo below.)
I tried 3 different models. They seemed OK, but rather expensive. He said takes 2 weeks for delivery as they are made to order.
2) hugsthailand.com, [email protected]
A guy named Andrew in Pattaya said he 'has no shop, thus keeps prices low' (have not confirmed any prices from him at this point). If you're in Pattaya and give him a heads up, he can meet you somewhere where you can try them out.

Allergy Test
Had a 'skin prick test' today at nearby Thainakarin Hospital. The nurse marked 1–5 on one forearm and 6–10 on the other, then put a drop of liquid by the number and gently scored the skin with a needle (absolutely no pain--could barely feel it). Then wait 20 minutes to be evaluated by doctor. Sensitivity scale is from 0 to 4. (See photos below.)
The results, as expected, showed significant sensitivity to both varieties of HDM (4+). There was also high sensitivity to cockroaches (4++). This was interesting--I've almost never seen a cockroach in my room, with the exception of a few tiny 'baby' roaches. But, I have been meaning to refresh the roach traps I have in corners. The doctor also detected some sensitivity to cat hair and dog dander (2+ each), and just a little to mold (1+). 

He did think the kind of mattress covers that enclose the entire mattress were pretty effective. I asked him if he knew where to get allergy products in Thailand and he suggested a place called Perfecta ([email protected], 099-504-5035). I sent them an email today but have not heard back yet.

As for how's it's been going for me, unfortunately not that well. Though I haven't reverted to the watery runny nose and extreme sensitivity to drafts, I have had to use about 20 to 30 tissues per day the last two days. When I lie on my mattress, though the dust mite waste/enzymzes that gush out of the bottom through the slats in my IKEA bed frame are invisible, it hits my nose like someone sliding into home plate at the end of summer. I'm very anxious to get a new mattress and cover, as I think it will really help. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

thanks for the helpful and useful info posted above.

BTW, have you tried taking any of the standard OTC anti-histamines to help block/reduce your allergic symptoms while you work on the underlying causes???

--------------------------------------------------------

It's kind of interesting. When I had my big round of skin allergy tests in the U.S., by comparison, they actually had separate vials of the different allergens in solution, and then took small needles, and injected a tiny bit of each solution just under the skin in rows similar to what you show above. By the end of the session, my arms inside and out looked like I was someone's pin cushion.

But in addition to the standard household allergens they tested you for above, my allergist also at the same time did a full panel of food allergen skin pricks.  If you have sensitivity to various household things, you may also have sensitivity to food elements as well. Allergies to things like wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, nuts, etc can be pretty common, especially among those with susceptability to allergic responses.

To my surprise, I tested with pretty strong allergies to both wheat and soy. And to this day, if I eat too much of the concentrated soy bean pastes common at Korean restaurants or even regular tofu, I usually get rashes on certain areas of my skin within 24 hours or so that usually go away in about another 24 hours. But the food stuff doesn't seem to bother my sinuses... Who knows....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

thanks for the helpful and useful info posted above.

BTW, have you tried taking any of the standard OTC anti-histamines to help block/reduce your allergic symptoms while you work on the underlying causes???

--------------------------------------------------------

It's kind of interesting. When I had my big round of skin allergy tests in the U.S., by comparison, they actually had separate vials of the different allergens in solution, and then took small needles, and injected a tiny bit of each solution just under the skin in rows similar to what you show above. By the end of the session, my arms inside and out looked like I was someone's pin cushion.

But in addition to the standard household allergens they tested you for above, my allergist also at the same time did a full panel of food allergen skin pricks.  If you have sensitivity to various household things, you may also have sensitivity to food elements as well. Allergies to things like wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, nuts, etc can be pretty common, especially among those with susceptability to allergic responses.

To my surprise, I tested with pretty strong allergies to both wheat and soy. And to this day, if I eat too much of the concentrated soy bean pastes common at Korean restaurants or even regular tofu, I usually get rashes on certain areas of my skin within 24 hours or so that usually go away in about another 24 hours. But the food stuff doesn't seem to bother my sinuses... Who knows....

I took an antihistamine just 2 times around 10 days ago when it was running watery, which helped a lot. Not running watery now, but still very sensitive to dust, smoke, exhaust. Wasn't sure if antihistamines would reduce that or not. Guess now that the allergy test is done I could take one and see. Maybe tonight.

The 10-prick test was B1850 total. They also had a blood test that has to be sent out to a lab so takes several days and costs B5000. The Doc said he didn't think I needed that, but I tried to see if he thought it might identify some food allergies that might also be a factor. Well, his English wasn't very good...and he countered that if I suspected I was allergic to some food to just try not eating it for a while. In the end I decided to at least wait to do the blood test. But now you're the second person who's told me they had a much more extensive skin prick test. I was actually imagining many more than 10 samples myself. Well, at least I got the HDM confirmed. But I actually would like to know about things like nuts, wheat, soy.... Like I think you said a few days ago, our bodies are like a bucket...if, say, it's being stressed by food allergies, then adding something like HDM dust can push it over the top....

Why now?  That's the question really.

In middle age both my and my old mum's allergies seemed to go in to overdrive for a while- possibly an explanation.

Why not move back to where you were before?  It maybe suited you better.

Is this anxiety related?  I only say this because I can get in a right state at times.  Are you finding yourself moving very fast?  Are you resting in a chair a few hours each day, and getting a good night's sleep?

An anti-histamine of some sort (you may have to experiment) should be able to help with the allergic reaction to natural allergens, but won't help with the non-allergenic causes, eg, exhaust fumes.

IMO, you should be nowhere near any exhaust fumes at this time.  Why not take that holiday!

I took an antihistamine just 2 times around 10 days ago when it was running watery, which helped a lot. Not running watery now, but still very sensitive to dust, smoke, exhaust. Wasn't sure if antihistamines would reduce that or not. Guess now that the allergy test is done I could take one and see. Maybe tonight.

The typical pill OTC anti-histamines like Zyrazine or Telfast are meant to be taken once or twice a day, depending on your symptoms.

Their effect doesn't last any longer than that. But also, there's no harm or bounce back effect from taking them for as long as needed.

Unlike most of the nasal sprays.

The 10-prick test was B1850 total. They also had a blood test that has to be sent out to a lab so takes several days and costs B5000. The Doc said he didn't think I needed that, but I tried to see if he thought it might identify some food allergies that might also be a factor. Well, his English wasn't very good...and he countered that if I suspected I was allergic to some food to just try not eating it for a while. In the end I decided to at least wait to do the blood test. But now you're the second person who's told me they had a much more extensive skin prick test. I was actually imagining many more than 10 samples myself. Well, at least I got the HDM confirmed. But I actually would like to know about things like nuts, wheat, soy.... Like I think you said a few days ago, our bodies are like a bucket...if, say, it's being stressed by food allergies, then adding something like HDM dust can push it over the top....

Well, they certainly tested for the BIGGIES when it comes to household/environmental allergens --  dust mites, cockroaches, pet dander, pollen, etc. But you might try to ask them if they can do the same skin prick testing for food allergens.

I had the blood allergy test done at Phyathai II a while back for both environmental and food allergens, and the price was similar to the 5000b you mentioned above. I'm not sure of the value of the results however. The Phyathai blood test results said I have a highest allergy to cat dander, a medium allergy to dust mites and not much else.  Whereas the skin tests I had done previously in L.A., showed a much larger range of allergy reactions including to soy and gluten, which clearly manifest here with physical symptoms if I consume too much of either.