opalred

every where Thais are feeling a money problem 

complaining in silence/but why have extra dogs

i ride a bike every morning for many years

i notice a large increase in dogs every where 

on the streets and houses

do they believe the dogs will look after them 

or has there been a slow down in the china trade

In my neighborhood there are 2 stores -- a FamilyMart and a TescoExpress -- that both have dogs as near permanent fixtures lying in front of the entry doors. You have to step over them at times just to get into the stores ... or others do as I yell at the dogs to get the <deleted> out of there.

One lady asked (the following was all Thai conversation) why I am mean to the dogs and I said that I don't want to have to step over a dog to get into the store and I've seen the dogs go after people's food bags when they are getting on their motorbike, etc.

She said well what if I call the police? I said go ahead I haven't touched the dog and, almost on cue, a cop rode by on a motorbike and I flagged him down. I explained the situation: He took one look at me, one look at the lady, one look at the dog, and drove off without saying a word.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

In my neighborhood there are 2 stores -- a FamilyMart and a TescoExpress -- that both have dogs as near permanent fixtures lying in front of the entry doors. You have to step over them at times just to get into the stores ... or others do as I yell at the dogs to get the <deleted> out of there.

One lady asked (the following was all Thai conversation) why I am mean to the dogs and I said that I don't want to have to step over a dog to get into the store and I've seen the dogs go after people's food bags when they are getting on their motorbike, etc.

She said well what if I call the police? I said go ahead I haven't touched the dog and, almost on cue, a cop rode by on a motorbike and I flagged him down. I explained the situation: He took one look at me, one look at the lady, one look at the dog, and drove off without saying a word.

kick  the  woman  would  get a  lesser  response than kicking the  dog..........what a  <deleted> up country eh

16 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Name says it all....Crab

16 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Name says it all....Crab

Thank you -- and when the dogs at times do not take a verbal suggestion to get out of the way, I have a plastic 120 db boat horn that usually gets their attention.

$_58.JPG

Edited by JLCrab

26 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you -- and when the dogs at times do not take a verbal suggestion to get out of the way, I have a plastic 120 db boat horn that usually gets their attention.

$_58.JPG

OK......then speak frankly. You are a Dog hater, so why you bullshitting around.

Fine -- I hate dogs blocking the door that I choose to enter and requiring that my foot pass within a few inches of a soi dogs mouth and possibly risk getting bitten by a dog which happens frequently enough here in Thailand.

Edited by JLCrab

You must understand those people , those dogs are their friends,

they had the same schooling , same attention when young, never worked, 

and the same wealth.......and the same future.

Be understanding?

5 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

Be understanding?

This is about as nasty as it gets. 

every where Thais are feeling a money problem 

complaining in silence/but why have extra dogs

how do you hear this if they are complaining in silence.... I don't hear any complaints either, but I do not assume that anyone I see is having money problems... 

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Rine -- I hate dogs blocking the door that I choose to enter and requiring that my foot pass within a few inches of a soi dogs mouth and possibly risk getting bitten by a dog which happens frequently enough here in Thailand.

But not, apparently, frequently, at the shop you mention.

Really, you carry around a 120dB boat horn with you?  Plus battery I presume. You do this continuously, every day? 

Might be time to face up to the fact that Thailand may not be the place for you.

58 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

Be understanding?

Yeah, especially when their mutts are howling and barking right underneath your bedroom window at 3AM :annoyed:

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

$_58.JPG

I found a piece of plastic water pipe made dogs get lost pretty quickly. They like to try and bite people on m'bikes, but the pipe had them running. I never got to actually hit one though, as just the sight is enough.

The reason, IMO, that there are more dogs around is that selling dogs to Cambodia for food was made illegal.

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

But not, apparently, frequently, at the shop you mention.

Really, you carry around a 120dB boat horn with you?  Plus battery I presume. You do this continuously, every day? 

Might be time to face up to the fact that Thailand may not be the place for you.

Yes the battery does get a little heavy at times but I think it's worth the effort.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I found a piece of plastic water pipe made dogs get lost pretty quickly. They like to try and bite people on m'bikes, but the pipe had them running. I never got to actually hit one though, as just the sight is enough.

The reason, IMO, that there are more dogs around is that selling dogs to Cambodia for food was made illegal.

I believe it was more selling to Laos and on to Vietnam.  :sad:

15 hours ago, how241 said:

I love dogs but don't like to have to step over them to get into 7-11.

If I see a dog blocking entrance to a store I move on to the next one. Plenty of stores to choose from. I choose those that don't support street dogs.

Soi dogs are a menace, especially at night. They crap everywhere, spread garbage around and can be quite aggressive when the pack instinct kicks in after dark.

They should round them up and put them all down,

I carry a stun gun, not ever again will I be surrounded again , myself and my gf, by 6 snarling dogs, just the sound of it and they ran off in 6 directions, my gf has pepper spray just in case also

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yeah, especially when their mutts are howling and barking right underneath your bedroom window at 3AM :annoyed:

I passed on an otherwise good rental because the adjoining townhouse was being used as a kennel for an unknown but plentiful number of barking, howling dogs.
The dog issue is not unique to Thai people, but the problems are more noticeable in a densely populated nation.
My girlfriend was frequently terrorized by a pack of soi dogs who would rush at her, growling and barking, as she walked out to the bus stop from her old flat in the early morning hours.
I do not have a problem with the peaceful ones who lolly gag around store entrances, as I am still able to step over a recumbent dog, and betimes speak to or even pet them,  but the aggressive packs need to be dealt with.
Why don't the traffickers round these up?
Oh, they are not as easy as some neighbour's tail wagging pet.

I often wonder if you were cast away on a dessert island with a plentifull supply of food. And one particular animal on the island which has never been seen before anywhere. And said animal snarled and howled all day and night if you would trap it and kill it to shut it up so you could sleep well at night?.