Is it considered work to have computers mining bitcoins ?

3 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

What else?? If you answer a work call from overseas what do u call that?

If you answer work (sic!) call's in thailand from anywhere for living in thailand it is (!) working in thailand :-)

Edited by CH1961
misspelled

42 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

Would the moderators on here be considered working right now?

We was talking about you .. and your work as (online) trader ..

Legally speaking you are required to carry out your tasks with a corresponding WP and have to pay taxes. 

Regardless of the fact that you are doing your job through your laptop, by phone or by anything else.

This is because you are earning income whilst you are in Thailand.

You can trust me :-)

We was talking about you .. and your work as (online) trader ..  Legally speaking you are required to carry out your tasks with a corresponding WP and have to pay taxes. 

Regardless of the fact that you are doing your job through your laptop, by phone or by anything else.

I pay taxes in my own country, I work max 2 hours a week, but thank you for your advice.

What you're saying is every investor who has a portfolio, even person who has their own business back home or even just invest in a mutual fund overseas needs to pay tax in thailand.

1 minute ago, thaifoodruns said:

I pa y taxes in my own country,I work max 2 hours a week, but thank you for your advice.

Ohhh, just two hours a week ...

Then it is a completely different case .. of course :smile:

Good luck for your future. 

On 7/3/2017 at 2:09 AM, chickenrunCM said:

how somebody in Thailand knows, when you made what money? you don´t have to do any tax statement, so you can bring money you earnz zhe same day to thailand

Being able to "get away with it" is not the same as "legal."  Some of us prefer to remain "squeaky clean" - which is not hard to do, in this case, if you have a year's worth of overhead in savings. 

13 hours ago, CH1961 said:

We was talking about you .. and your work as (online) trader ..

Legally speaking you are required to carry out your tasks with a corresponding WP and have to pay taxes. 

Since you can only get a work-permit to work for a Thai company or affiliate of a foreign company operating in Thailand, yes - you would owe taxes on income earned with a work-permit. 

Someone earning income somewhere else, which is not remitted to Thailand in the year earned - however they earn it (interest, dividends, withdrawal of owner's equity, etc) - do not have Thai tax-liabilities.  They also cannot get a work-permit, but this is not directly related to the tax-situation.

Should Thailand wish to cash-in, tax-wise, they could offer better terms for farang's micro-businesses, requiring little capital to operate, to set up shop here and obtain visas.  With a  minimum tax-contribution - a win-win for everyone.  More and more people fit into the 'online contractor' category, these days, and Thailand could be a choice destination for them to spend their money.

• 6 months later...

Now I guess everyone that said, zero ROI in the start of 2017 is biting their nails and ripping their hair.

Even if you payed more in electric then, we who believed in it has a nice profit today. :thumbsup:

Like about 1M Baht on only one antminer S9, or 2 st. S7.

Edited by Get Real

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now I guess everyone that said, zero ROI in the start of 2017 is biting their nails and ripping their hair.

Even if you payed more in electric then, we who believed in it has a nice profit today. :thumbsup:

Like about 1M Baht on only one antminer S9, or 2 st. S7.

I doubt anyone claimed zero ROI. But it was nice of you to dig up this old thread to brag. Hope it made you feel good :)

You are in thailand, you have an office set up computers ect and you are making money inside of thailands border.

You have an electric bill much higher than anyone else. If you are mining bitcoins in Thailand 

I dont think ot would be hard for a government agency to say your working without a permit.

And qhen they take your compuyers they take your bitcoins with them.

I wouldnt risk it 

• Sad 1

On 7/1/2017 at 10:10 AM, thaifoodruns said:

I trade for a living off my computer everything is based overseas and I'm not employed or have a company here so no it shouldn't be considered working in thailand

That is very much different than doing the processing and mining on the computer in Thailand.  Sending a buy or sell request from your computer to your bank or brokerage is not the same as running all the bitcoin mining and processing on your computer.  My Opine anyway.

On 7/3/2017 at 5:49 PM, thaifoodruns said:

Would the moderators on here be considered working right now?

It is a good question. My guess would be that it would be regarded as work, under a strict interpretation of the alien employment law, if carried out while in Thailand. However, I think it is 99.9999% certain that it would be tolerated, as there is no reasonable way it could be regarded as competing with Thais for paid employment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is a good question. My guess would be that it would be regarded as work, under a strict interpretation of the alien employment law, if carried out while in Thailand. However, I think it is 99.9999% certain that it would be tolerated, as there is no reasonable way it could be regarded as competing with Thais for paid employment.

Agreed, with the added caveats

• Unless you make someone angry, and they use/report this activity as a means of attack/reprisal.
  • Unless an unscrupulous official stumbles upon it, and sees an opportunity to extract "tribute" in exchange for non-prosecution and/or continuing operations.
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, Maestro said:

It was for playing bridge that some foreigners got into trouble with the law in Pattaya, not Mahjong, but this still doesn't make playing bridge legal, not even in Pattaya, unless the police have in the meantime changed their interpretation of the law in that regard.

Didn't I read about a move to make bridge an Olympic sport? Now, that should make it legal for sure, also in Thailand, without playing for money or betting on it, of course.

They did not get in trouble for playing Bridge at all! The crime was that they had too many unregistered playing cards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_Cards_Act