Taxis refusing meter

hobz

Hi guys, 

I just visited bangkok for a day. All taxis except the one from airport (DMK) refused meter!

So, Im swedish, lived in thailand for 5 years but do not speak thai well at all. 

I have however visited bangkok a handfull of times before and never had a problem getting a taxi using the meter. Ok, sometimes one refuses but then you take the next and usually the next one would accept using meter. Not this time...

I arrived in DMK 11:00 on a wednesday.. Was probably queuing for a taxi around 11:15 or so. No problems, didnt even have to ask for the meter. He just turned it on. Also there was signs making it clear that the customer would pay for toll, i like clarity. :)

So, im happy nearing centre point hotel, near mbk, near erawan shrine, where my visitors from sweden were waiting. 

I have the route from DMK to the hotel mapped out on my phone, and google is telling me what it thinks is the fastest route. We are getting really close when the driver makes a wrong turn. Google says 10 minutes slower... I didnt confront him (my gut feeling told me nothing good could come out of it...call me a wuss...). Anyway, he drove around making even one more wrong turn... I guess its possible that he knew something google didnt know.. But i think google probably has pretty good intel on this very busy area of town... But who knows.. In the end i paid 260 on the meter. (Uber has flat rate 300 thb from airport).

I guess i met my visitors around 12:00 and we needed a taxi to go from erawan shrine to wat pho (near kings palace).

We are 4 adults and 1 kid. So we need a big car. We find two big cars, both have meters in them. Both refuse to use meter.

Uber app estimate is showing 150-200. Ofcourse we would need 2 uber cars. 

The big meter taxis we negotiated with wanted 500, 400, and finally we agreed on 300. 

When i say big i mean i think it can take 7 passengers. 

Going back from kings palace to hotel, same story, negotiate with 2 or 3 drivers, all refusing meters. End up paying 300.

Anyway, they are definitely scamming tourists, and i have changed my mind about uber not being needed in bangkok. They deserve uber in bangkok.

When one of the drivers refused to go down from some ridiculous price and i started ignoring him and looking at my phone he asked "you get uber? You get uber?" I bet if i said yes and had an uber coming that he was going to cause problems. He was more interested in picking a fight with uber than to give us a fair price. 

Finally going back to Chiang mai in a hurry in the evening,, the first car refuses meter, i dont have time to stop more, agree to 300 from mbk to dmk. 

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware that all in taxi must use seat belt now - so that kind of limits taxi to 3 pax.  Am sure many will ignore but expect 4 would be max with most, regardless of vehicle size.

Well, we were 5 pax. 

6 minutes ago, nasanews said:

I would not trust google all times especially in a city I have no knowledge of, secondly use Uber instead of taxis if you like clarity.

Yeah, but usually google is right. And it has real time updates on traffic jams etc. And its all automated somehow, so i think it works better the busier it is, as it will get more data from the area. Anyway, i cant be 100% sure.

5 minutes ago, hobz said:

Well, we were 5 pax

Which might explain why it harder to find taxi to use meter than on previous visits.  We frequently use taxi service and still have no issues at all having them use meter - but in center of Bangkok it may require getting a moving taxi and some will refuse because they do not want to travel where you want to go.  Some can be a PIA during rush hour but most of the time not too much of a problem.  

Yeah, but usually google is right. And it has real time updates on traffic jams etc. And its all automated somehow, so i think it works better the busier it is, as it will get more data from the area. Anyway, i cant be 100% sure.

Google is rarely right in Bangkok, I drive here daily, from my kids school to the office it will say 54min, following the same route as Google will always get me to my destination anything from 30min to 1.5 hours later than it predicted at the start of the journey. It is in fact completely useless to rely on in terms of journey times. It will also route you incorrectly as well, as it is also unaware that some junctions and directions of travel are closed during peak times.

Don't trust technology too much, it's not infallible.

i recently flagged down a large taxi for 4 people around sukhumvit and asoke.  going to dmk.  driver did not want to go but i offered 500 as i did not want to look around for another large taxi.  he accepted immediately.  sometimes you pay extra, my group was satisfied.

google is right most of the time as far as heavy, medium, light traffic.  but cannot forecast trip times as traffic conditions change by the minute.  i have checked in my room and 5 minutes later i am in taxi and have to change route as my original route is red, had been orange.  it is an invaluable resource, especially when travelling from dmk with multiple options to get into downtown bkk.  recently, i saw heavy traffic on google and ended up taking airport link to suvarnabhumi.  i have 3 options to access tollways and it is rare for all to be red.  google was a great help that day.

I just would like to state two things:

This happens to Thai people all the time. In fact, many think between farang and Thai the driver will go with the farang.

Next, I wish people would stop complaining about this. Offer extra money or take the trip non peak. It's up to them, they make horrible money. Any misdirection or calculation might cost the nights profits. Cheapest best taxis in the world. Tip up whiners.

This is all about choosing the right spot to hop in a taxi and knowing when its better all round to get a train or other form of transport.

Taxis will often refuse to go if the journey will take them an hour to make 150 Baht.

Can't blame them really.

3 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

This is all about choosing the right spot to hop in a taxi and knowing when its better all round to get a train or other form of transport.

Taxis will often refuse to go if the journey will take them an hour to make 150 Baht.

Can't blame them really.

Another way to look at it is that there's something wrong with the taxi system in bangkok. 

Perhaps they should raise the meter prices?

3 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I just would like to state two things:

This happens to Thai people all the time. In fact, many think between farang and Thai the driver will go with the farang.

Next, I wish people would stop complaining about this. Offer extra money or take the trip non peak. It's up to them, they make horrible money. Any misdirection or calculation might cost the nights profits. Cheapest best taxis in the world. Tip up whiners.

For the record, i gave the first driver a 40 baht tip despite his wrong turns.

42 minutes ago, anto said:

But your not sure he was wrong .

Exactly. Remember it was my first taxi for the trip and i thought maybe google was wrong. Now in hindsight knowing that all the drivers after were scammers i find it more likely that the first guy scammed me too.

18 minutes ago, hobz said:

Exactly. Remember it was my first taxi for the trip and i thought maybe google was wrong. Now in hindsight knowing that all the drivers after were scammers i find it more likely that the first guy scammed me too.

I used to be a taxi driver in the West ,and know how difficult the job can be .The meter fare is so low in Bangkok i don't see him going the wrong way intentionally .He wants to get done with it and get another fare .You are living in Chiang Mai ,so am i .Try getting a metered taxi up here ,its  almost impossible .

1 hour ago, anto said:

I used to be a taxi driver in the West ,and know how difficult the job can be .The meter fare is so low in Bangkok i don't see him going the wrong way intentionally .He wants to get done with it and get another fare .You are living in Chiang Mai ,so am i .Try getting a metered taxi up here ,its  almost impossible .

Yeah, they gotta raise the meter price i guess. 

Yeah never got a meter ever in cm.

Easy solution to keeping cabbies honest - have phone camera ready and if there is any resistance  to dropping the meter snap a picture of their license/photo on the dash. That's exactly what it's there for. Drivers are well aware of the laws and don't want a hassle with police. This works for me 100% of the time.

18 hours ago, moonoi said:

Google is rarely right in Bangkok, I drive here daily, from my kids school to the office it will say 54min, following the same route as Google will always get me to my destination anything from 30min to 1.5 hours later than it predicted at the start of the journey. It is in fact completely useless to rely on in terms of journey times. It will also route you incorrectly as well, as it is also unaware that some junctions and directions of travel are closed during peak times.

I agree mostly - google is not accurate during rush hour times. It quotes me 1 hour but always take up to 1.30 hours. But outside of rush hour, its pretty accurate.

But Bangkok being Bangkok, there are some stretches of road with long light and unexpected traffic which throws google maps off.

15 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I agree mostly - google is not accurate during rush hour times. It quotes me 1 hour but always take up to 1.30 hours. But outside of rush hour, its pretty accurate.

Probably because traffic builds so quickly that duration of the trip can change while you're enroute.  It was accurate at every point in time, though.  But that's small consolation...

I wonder if they'll come up with an algorithm that predicts traffic speeds throughout the day.  And also one that detects a slowdown for an accident and predicts the amount of time it will take to clear that wreck and get traffic moving again.  Or, maybe Mr Google is already there.

I'm also looking forward to the time they detect a nimrod on the road based on his/her previous driving patterns and warn you when you get close.

1 hour ago, Wuvu2 said:

Easy solution to keeping cabbies honest - have phone camera ready and if there is any resistance  to dropping the meter snap a picture of their license/photo on the dash. That's exactly what it's there for. Drivers are well aware of the laws and don't want a hassle with police. This works for me 100% of the time.

Stay safe and keep fit - you may need it when a taxi driver comes after you with a tyre iron.

19 hours ago, nasanews said:

I would not trust google all times especially in a city I have no knowledge of, secondly use Uber instead of taxis if you like clarity.

I drive almost daily in and around Bangkok. I know the town and the suburbs rather well. I always use Google maps, thanks  i avoided numerous traffic  jams. Sometimes they guide me true very small sois to avoid the traffic mess.

I Use the UK version. The Thai version is horrible, even my Thai  wife agree with that

18 hours ago, moonoi said:

Google is MOSTLY right in Bangkok, but occasionally gets confused with vertical stacked roads (like Bangna-Trad and the expressway).  The other times it gets into trouble are with serious gridlock (and Moonoi is saying a 54 minute run can take 90 minutes to 3 hours - that's extreme gridlock on a school run which is an exceptionally bad example).

It is not 100% reliable on routing, but you must use common sense sometimes and at other times just take a wild guess. I've only once been routed in a way that made me pay two extra tolls un-necessarily and the app re-routed after each one, leading me to turn it off until I got out of that area.

Obviously the other issue is the way traffic police sometimes just decide to put in barriers and stop you taking the route... but I'd say it's 98% good for my use.

Reading some of the comments here, are some of you from another planet???
Taxis have the meter to use them, it's their duty so why are you even sympathising with them refusing passengers or drive only with agreed rate?
It's not my problem that they are driving taxi or the rate is so low...
And about the OP's concern about Uber or Grab Taxi. Wth. Just let if come to a confrontation.
You know how the are, big mouth and just blowing hot air.
Do you know how many time I have been threatened taking pictures of licence plate from taxis refusing fare or telling them I'll call the authorities/police right now?
No wonder the taxi mafia is continuing their practice with an attitude of some people here.
Grow some balls...

Happens every day for me, Google will say 54-59 min, actual journey time in normal rush hour traffic is 90-110min. If there is an accident/rain/someone farted in the wrong direction then that can become 3 hours. In every case google will say 54-59min.

I would think that it wouldn't be too hard for Google to use historical data as well as realtime traffic data to predict journey times (my cars onboard navigation system does this and gets it right to within 10min, so it is possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Can't blame them really.

In any job you have to accept the good with the bad, if you cannot, you don't deserve a job at all. It's like me refusing to play at a gig because there is no door entry next to the stage and we have to carry our gear from the entrance, across the dance floor to the stage.

2 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

That's fine, but just watch if the driver puts his hand under his seat.

Travelling with your Thai partner if you have one always helps. Seldom refused, never scammed (as far as I can tell).

My b/f chats them up, tells them his life history, has them falling out of their seat with laughter, good trip & tip at the end ... Lesson: language & charm help.

i probably ruin it for alot of you.  when i get a taxi for a short trip, i immediately tell them i'll pay 100thb.  i could care less about the 30-40 baht change i might get if they use the meter.  the drivers are really happy when they get me as a passenger.

i got in a taxi to dmk on saturday, said going to dmk, the guy said 400thb and he'd pay the tolls.  i didn't bother to ask for the meter as i know the fare plus tolls is usually btwn 300 and 340.

as someone pointed out, these fares are extremely cheap and i'm not going to bother negotiating over tiny amounts of money. 

8 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Travelling with your Thai partner if you have one always helps. Seldom refused, never scammed (as far as I can tell).

My b/f chats them up, tells them his life history, has them falling out of their seat with laughter, good trip & tip at the end ... Lesson: language & charm help.

And you pay ,not your gregarious Thai Boyfriend ?

Archived