Taxis refusing meter

hobz

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Probably because traffic builds so quickly that duration of the trip can change while you're enroute.  It was accurate at every point in time, though.  But that's small consolation...

I wonder if they'll come up with an algorithm that predicts traffic speeds throughout the day.  And also one that detects a slowdown for an accident and predicts the amount of time it will take to clear that wreck and get traffic moving again.  Or, maybe Mr Google is already there.

I'm also looking forward to the time they detect a nimrod on the road based on his/her previous driving patterns and warn you when you get close.

yea its hard to predict traffic, google maps do show +10 / +15 to the best of their knowledge. Don't really have a grudge with google maps actually ,its the incompetent police directing traffic and drivers on the road who doesn't know the basics of not blocking intersections or make an opposite lane their lane.

3 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Easy solution to keeping cabbies honest - have phone camera ready and if there is any resistance  to dropping the meter snap a picture of their license/photo on the dash. That's exactly what it's there for. Drivers are well aware of the laws and don't want a hassle with police. This works for me 100% of the time.

And then what do you do with these photos?

Do you report to DLT? Does it work?

8 minutes ago, samtam said:

And then what do you do with these photos?

Do you report to DLT? Does it work?

Indeed - DLT have an App... Try uploaded on of the photos to the App... It doesn't work. 

You have to open the camera from the App itself, but that also doesn't work. 

There is also a phone complaint line - a couple of times when my Wife has called to complain - no one has answered !... 

Short conclusion: They don't want feedback or complaints but present this App and Phone line to offer the false impression that they (The DLT) care - They don't !!!!... 

User UBER or Grab its the only solution. 

UBER and Grab also have a 'large car' option, which you will pay more for. 

In balance and out of the interests of fairness - the large vehicles (7 seater taxi's) will have the same meter rate as regular taxi's - perhaps this is why they want to charge more when taking 7 passengers. 

On the subject of Google Maps: 

I find it extremely useful in predicting traffic... I don't rely on the times, but it does help me re-route when I see the roads are particularly busy. Sometimes I can take a detour when the roads 'dark red' on the map. 

The Taxi drivers think I am insane and often get irritated at my 'detour' - I have to explain that I've been driving here for more than 15 years and know the roads in detail. They still don't buy it, but the penny drops as we approach the destination, their mood changes and with a 'orr-horr geng maaaaak !' they realise that infant I do know the route better than them !!!!..... 

Yesterday was the first day in BKk that I used a Grab car from my phone app.  A hotel concierge suggested it to me. 

Great clean air conditioned car with nice driver and payment deducted from my credit card. Fare was much less than I have paid before.  I will use Grab cars from now on. No more BKK taxis for me. ?

17 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I just would like to state two things:

This happens to Thai people all the time. In fact, many think between farang and Thai the driver will go with the farang.

Next, I wish people would stop complaining about this. Offer extra money or take the trip non peak. It's up to them, they make horrible money. Any misdirection or calculation might cost the nights profits. Cheapest best taxis in the world. Tip up whiners.

I wish people would stop defending taxi scofflaws.  Offer the extra money and give in to the intimidation, it's up to them.   No one's forcing the drivers to drive taxis for a living; if they're going to do so and skirt the law, then all Hail Uber (and don't tell me it's illegal because so is refusing the meter!)   "Need" is NOT a justification for lawlessness.  If it is, then a good percentage of Thais certainly have a right to mug you on the street!  Get real and stop YOUR whining!

On 7/2/2017 at 3:02 PM, nasanews said:

I would not trust google all times especially in a city I have no knowledge of, secondly use Uber instead of taxis if you like clarity.

I don't fully trust SatNav, and Google's traffic reports seem, all too often, to be little better than guesswork.

12 hours ago, henry15 said:

I drive almost daily in and around Bangkok. I know the town and the suburbs rather well. I always use Google maps, thanks  i avoided numerous traffic  jams. Sometimes they guide me true very small sois to avoid the traffic mess.

I Use the UK version. The Thai version is horrible, even my Thai  wife agree with that

Me too I trust google when I am alone in no where I am aware of...but the OP complained when the taxi driver did not follow google route as his guts told him.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

I don't fully trust SatNav, and Google's traffic reports seem, all too often, to be little better than guesswork.

I am sorry but I should have quoted you previously. cheers

4 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Me too I trust google when I am alone in no where I am aware of...but the OP complained when the taxi driver did not follow google route as his guts told him.

OP here, I did not complain to the driver. I actually gave him a 40 baht tip.

It's hard to tell why he took that route.. I didnt ask him..

Anyway, the rest of the drivers, it's debatable about the rates, it's debatable about who scammed who and who's fault it is or whatever. 

One thing I am sure of, these people are not professionals. 

Funny enough, uber drivers are almost always professional. I had one uber driver that was driving his dads BMW and wanted to be social and friendly, he wasn't doing it for the money, he did it for the social interaction,, it felt a bit unprofessional i guess, but he was super friendly at least, so it was still an enjoyable ride. 

Between the "google route" and the driver route, it's not necessarily that black & white.  Google may "see" the traffic slow-downs and tie-ups, but I'm not sure an experienced driver doesn't actually know the better, quicker route around the worst of it, and not every experienced driver's solution will be the same.  I'll often watch progress on Google, and I've never had much trouble verifying that the driver was on a reasonable course.  Refusal to use the meter is another matter - no excuse.  No need to be interrogated over Uber though - if I were asked I'd just say "checking my email" or the chance of rain or the news or something.  He has no right to know what you're doing on your phone.   Don't give in to any intimidation from an uncompetitive punk.  He either takes you where you need to go and uses the meter, or you search for something else.  Period.   Uber may be illegal or unregulated or have some mythical advantage over registered taxis, but it's simply a matter of their illegality vs Uber's.  If Uber is stealing their business, they've totally brought it on themselves.

The old "take the long cut trick" to scam a few extra baht out of the farang's pocket. Been going on forever. 20 years ago used to drive me mad because it wasn't/isn't the money, but the time. Back then my Thai wasn't all that and was held silent captive. Nowadays it's still the time, not the money, but even when I'm speaking Thai with them, occasionally they try to take the "long cut", especially if distracted by my phone. NO more. Learned my lesson. Nowadays, get in exchange a few pleasantries and if I'm familiar with the route...tell them where to go...where to turn...tollway or no tollway. Another trick is unnecessarily (like @ 4am) taking the tollway when the surface streets are just as fast...and free. Just another way of extracting money out of the farang's pocket for Thailand. 

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The old "take the long cut trick" to scam a few extra baht out of the farang's pocket. Been going on forever. 20 years ago used to drive me mad because it wasn't/isn't the money, but the time. Back then my Thai wasn't all that and was held silent captive. Nowadays it's still the time, not the money, but even when I'm speaking Thai with them, occasionally they try to take the "long cut", especially if distracted by my phone. NO more. Learned my lesson. Nowadays, get in exchange a few pleasantries and if I'm familiar with the route...tell them where to go...where to turn...tollway or no tollway. Another trick is unnecessarily (like @ 4am) taking the tollway when the surface streets are just as fast...and free. Just another way of extracting money out of the farang's pocket for Thailand. 

For more than 20 years you still hold that opinion?  My take is 100% opposite - taxi make money on flag fall so the more short trips the better - even since they pay for slow movement in addition to trip length this seems to hold true.  The one time when it may not is on tollways where they can speed - but on city streets and in traffic there priority I believe is to get you out to your destination asap and a new customer in.

• 1 month later...

Archived