Thai police spokesman says Belgian tourist died from suffocation

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not blaming all the negativity on one media outlet, The Samui Times is simply following  the tabloid trash which is worldwide- sensationalism sells! Truth is the first casualty in the race for ratings.
By the way, I remember where I grew up- it was a dreadful place called Hull. Hull, hell and Halifax they used to say when I woz a nipper. I've never seen a sheep in Thailand but there are plenty in the UK.

So your not blaming the Samui Times and Hull is hell.

Samui Times says Ko Tao is A.K.A "death island".

Bannork says Hull is hell.

The mother mentioned the cult, how Elise had changed over time. Perhaps that was who she was referring to when she said she feared someone else was involved. Her daughter had spent her time on Koh Samui, not Koh Tao. Even her stop off on Koh Tao was sudden.

But the Samui Times and a bunch of farangs jumped on it to infer the so called  'Koh Tao mafia' were involved. 'Death island'. The mother, poor lady, was/is in turmoil, She didn't sensationalize the story ,the Samui Times and the rest of the media did with lurid tales of a body half eaten by monitor lizards. Oh, how she must have enjoyed reading that, but hey anything to get clicks and advertising revenue. 

Pass the sick bag Alice.

I went to Koh Tao once in 2008 and once in 2010. A friend of mine recommended the island to me as did many others. They told me back then to behave myself on the island as it was run by the local mafia. This has been common knowledge for years.

The latest death on the island was Elise whose body was found after local's became suspicious of a monitor lizard travelling in and out of the jungle many times. This is why the headlines said what they did. Because it was 100% correct.

Many foreign tourist death's in the last 3 years on the same island. 'Death Island'

Foreigners face was half eaten by lizard's. True.

The island is run by a local mafia. That's what every one I know who've been there say. Is it true? Officially not confirmed.

Samui Times jumped on it along with the worlds press.

The Sun

The Mirror

The Times

The Daily Telegraph

The Irish Times

The Guardian

The Sydney Morning Herald

Every major Thai media outlet

The major media outlets of S.E Asia

China news

Reuters

CNN

Wall Street Journal

Most European news sites

The middle east major news agencies

So why pick on the Samui Times?

Because the owner helped the two Burmese boys during their trial. This is why.

Oh your from Hull. Yes, they said the community is now in high spirits since you left. But they thought you went to Thailand because your ugly and couldn't get a girlfriend back in Hull.

26 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

<snip>

So why pick on the Samui Times?

<snip2>

Because they are from Samui and so is their readership predominantly from Samui and Thailand and so are their advertisers. Plus -- as mentioned by the SuratThani governor -- they believe that Koh Tao has directly been affected by the editorial policy and articles in SamuiTimes.

http://www.samuitimes.com/samuitimesmediakit.pdf

Because they are from Samui and so is their readership predominantly from Samui and Thailand and so are their advertisers. Plus -- as mentioned by the SuratThani governor -- they believe that Koh Tao has directly been affected by the editorial policy and articles in SamuiTimes.

So your saying the Samui Times articles have effected domestic tourism and not international?

I still don't understand why the Samui Times has been singled out for suing?

Can someone pls enlighten me in plain English why?
I thought it was because the owner of Samui Times helped out the Myanmar boys convicted of murdering David and Hannah. Also isn't she married to a Ko Taoian man? Maybe this is another reason.
Also in the photo of the meeting about the libel case I saw Woraphan Touchien the father of accused Mon and Nomsod who Sean said had killed the backpackers. So its revenge on the Samui Times and has nothing to do with the 'death island' slander.

40 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

So your saying the Samui Times articles have effected domestic tourism and not international?

I didn't say anything. He did.

“False accusations and distorted news coverage has caused a negative image to the tourism sector in the province,” Uaychai was quoted as saying by Matichon. “As the provincial governor, I represent someone directly damaged by this.”

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

And so they should, no avoiding natural justice thankfully

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I didn't say anything. He did.

“False accusations and distorted news coverage has caused a negative image to the tourism sector in the province,” Uaychai was quoted as saying by Matichon. “As the provincial governor, I represent someone directly damaged by this.”

Plus a lot more who are directly involved in it

There are libel laws in Thailand that are Thai libel laws and apply to things in Thailand.

Oh now I get you.
The Surat Thani governor can be guaranteed justice because the Samui Times is based in Thailand. Now I see the light.

The one thing that's on my paranoid mind is if Samui Times is successfully sued whose going to be next. Once the government can shut one voice of opposition it will carry on and start shutting others. A similar thing going on in China now.

So far the Surathani Governor has not filed a case. Maybe other lawyers have advised him that his case would not be very strong barring real instances of economic harm directly attributable to the Samui Times as would be required under Thai libel law.

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

you mistake thai police and investigators for real investigators. Also you keep focusing on fingernail wounds.  Any smart smotherer would simply not be bare faced or have exposed skin.  It really is easy to prevent

I was talking about homicide investigations in general not just Thailand and I am not focusing on "fingernail wounds" as I have never even heard of a "fingernail wounds".  If someone is smothered face to face the arms of the victim could easily reach 50% of the attackers body.  This ain't my first rodeo partner and it would not even be my 50th murder investigation if I was on the case so I'll leave the movie plots to you and Hollywood and you can leave the murder cases to me.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, dlodratsab said:

Another "been there seen it done it"...yesterday it was a suicide you saw, a woman stabbing herself in the heart. Is there no end to the dramatic scenes in your interesting life folder?

When you are the first responder to a woman shoving a kitchen knife under her breast bone into her heart it leaves an impression on you.  After 23 years in the trenches of life saving it is true I have seen many interesting things.  Sorry you warmed a barstool all that time but as they say "There are no hero's if there are no zero's"  I think we both know where you fall.  Bottoms up ey?

12 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I was talking about homicide investigations in general not just Thailand and I am not focusing on "fingernail wounds" as I have never even heard of a "fingernail wounds".  If someone is smothered face to face the arms of the victim could easily reach 50% of the attackers body.  This ain't my first rodeo partner and it would not even be my 50th murder investigation if I was on the case so I'll leave the movie plots to you and Hollywood and you can leave the murder cases to me.

50 murder cases under your belt but you've `never heard of victims scratching their attackers?

Who was the coroner on those cases, khun han?

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

you are a nit.  It is trivial to hold a small woman down and not leave any marks and it is trivial to not leave ones skin exposed and it is trivial to shield or otherwise block oneself from not being scratched.  As for fingernail wounds, fine I mistyped. 

On 06/07/2017 at 8:00 PM, gk10002000 said:

you are a nit.  It is trivial to hold a small woman down and not leave any marks and it is trivial to not leave ones skin exposed and it is trivial to shield or otherwise block oneself from not being scratched.  As for fingernail wounds, fine I mistyped. 

You are trivial to assume that you know best. Go back to scratching your skinny ass  and contemplating the strange arrangements of the universe.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:36 PM, ThaiWai said:

When you are the first responder to a woman shoving a kitchen knife under her breast bone into her heart it leaves an impression on you.  After 23 years in the trenches of life saving it is true I have seen many interesting things.  Sorry you warmed a barstool all that time but as they say "There are no hero's if there are no zero's"  I think we both know where you fall.  Bottoms up ey?

Ahhh I assume you are claiming the "HERO" perch?....... I've always found the hero's are the one's who keep things to themselves,  not shout their wondrous deeds to all and sundry.     

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

You are trivial to assume that you know best. Go back to scratching your skinny ass  and contemplating the strange arrangements of the universe.

I never said I know best. I simply stated some obvious things that can be easily done.  As far as an ass, well, if that is your cup of tea, I think there are some ladyboy places in NANA plaza that will happily accommodate you

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I never said I know best. I simply stated some obvious things that can be easily done.  As far as an ass, well, if that is your cup of tea, I think there are some ladyboy places in NANA plaza that will happily accommodate you

Yawn.