After employment - tourist visa and bank account.

Hi Guys,

I have been working for the past 10 years in LOS and have decided to leave Thailand and live and work for a couple years in Europe again.

Current status: My Work permit and Extension of stay have been cancelled and have already left the country.  This means that, for any of my future short visits, I will be either on a tourist visa or 30 days exempt stamp.

I still have an active bank account with credit card attached to it and was wondering if I will be still able to use the account, when living abroad for couple years? There’s some money left on the account, but not plan to touch it for at least a year or so. Will there be a chance they freeze the account or close it, if there has been no movement in a year or so? FYI – the amount on the account is sufficient enough to cover for any annual banking fees etc?

What if I decide to come back at some point in time as tourist and want to apply for a new debit/credit card or online banking… They will certainly ask for a copy of my passport. Which is okay, except for the Visa (which will show a 30 days stamp or tourist visa).

Once you stop working, you have basically 7 days to leave the country and return on a tourist (or other visa). So what about the ‘grace’ period in between jobs when you are on a tourist visa? What does the bank do in such case? Will they block, freeze or keep an eye closed, keeping in mind you have been a ‘good customer’ over the past 10 years, until you have found a new job? 

Do you think this will be a problem?  I assume the bank must have been dealing with more people like me in this situation?

Has anyone experience with this or with any particular bank?

Cheers,

Ook

If you have online banking on the account, why not just top up your Thai sim card with 50 Baht every few months online, that way you bank account and your sim card will remain active.[emoji2]

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk