City Hall Pledges Sidewalk Fixes In 5 Bangkok Districts

webfact

City Hall Pledges Sidewalk Fixes In 5 Bangkok Districts

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

sidewalks-696x464.jpg  

In this undated photo, a tessakit inspects broken sidewalks in Bangkok. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK —  City Hall on Tuesday pledged to fix broken sidewalks across five districts in southern Bangkok, an issue city planners blamed on street vendors.

Wanchai Thanomsak, director of city planning at Bangkok city hall, announced plans to renovate the capital’s deteriorating sidewalks in the districts of Bang Na, Pathum Wan, Watthana, Khlong Toei and Phra Khanong in an effort to make them walkable again.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2017/07/05/city-hall-pledges-sidewalk-fixes-5-bangkok-districts/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-07-05

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

an issue city planners blamed on street vendors.

Unless said street vendor is selling sledgehammers and heavy equipment, I don't see how a soup vendor cart could manage to break a sidewalk.

Maybe if the sidewalk was poorly built in the first place, then yes. But that would put the blame on the construction instead of the street vendors.

"City Hall on Tuesday pledged to fix broken sidewalks across five districts in southern Bangkok, an issue city planners blamed on street vendors."

Looking at the picture, I think there's more chance that the sidewalk was broken by the furniture store's delivery trucks, especially as there are red and white markings on the kerb.

2 hours ago, ezflip said:

Unless said street vendor is selling sledgehammers and heavy equipment, I don't see how a soup vendor cart could manage to break a sidewalk.

Maybe if the sidewalk was poorly built in the first place, then yes. But that would put the blame on the construction instead of the street vendors.

Agreed. Other cities around the world that have street vendors don't seem to have broken sidewalks/footpaths.  It's all down to corruption. By the time everyone has taken their slice of the cake there isn't enough money leftover to do a proper job with quality materials.  The vendors are a convenient target for scapegoating at the moment.

Edited by stephen tracy

That photo DOES NOT do justice to MOST of the damaged sidewalks in Bangkok (or the rest of the country for that matter). I walk with my head down figuring a collision with a pedestrian/motor cycle (sic) will be less painful than a broken leg OR worse!

Yes Bangkok could sure fix a lot of their sidewalks in all parts of the city,

Just get with it and get the whole place fixed. (No more corruption)  in Bangkok or Thailand.,

should be a very lofty goal for the present and future goverments of the city and

the country as well.

Gezer