Returning To The UK

snoop1130

Just now, Thaimike370 said:

If Thailand had the same arrangement as the Philippines regarding pensions etc a lot of us would have a lot more money to spend here

What are these arrangements and how do they differ from Thailand ? 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, perthperson said:

What are these arrangements and how do they differ from Thailand ? 

In PI the British old age pension is indexed just as it would be in Europe. In Thailand that's not the case - the pension you get when you leave UK is the amount you will get for the rest of your life.

Just now, VBF said:

In PI the British old age pension is indexed just as it would be in Europe. In Thailand that's not the case - the pension you get when you leave UK is the amount you will get for the rest of your life.

Ah Yes I understand --  Thanks .. 

A  grossly unfair system which despite widespread protest shows no sign of being revoked. 

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

If you return to the UK for a month or more you notify and they pay the going rate, until you leave again.   I you fully return too the UK  you will get the going rate.     confirmed.        But it is outrageous to save pension money when the old people have earned it in their working life----ROBBERY......human rights   ha ha ha

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Ah Yes I understand --  Thanks .. 

A  grossly unfair system which despite widespread protest shows no sign of being revoked. 

And probably never will be as succesive UK governments see no need to appeal to Expats despite the fact that those same Expats have possibly paid into the system for many years

Just now, VBF said:

And probably never will be as succesive UK governments see no need to appeal to Expats despite the fact that those same Expats have possibly paid into the system for many years

Maybe there will be additional pressure if the Brexit process places many 1000's of expats in Europe in the no idexation  club ! 

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Maybe there will be additional pressure if the Brexit process places many 1000's of expats in Europe in the no idexation  club ! 

I believe those drawing their pensions will continue to get the indexation

There was a vote in Parliament in the last few months saying we should get the indexation, however saying and getting are very different matters

Those who get the indexation in the UK are taxed in the UK most of us are not paying any taxes in the UK

Cost of petrol and diesel here vs UK so overall not so bad

"Those who get the indexation in the UK are taxed in the UK most of us are not paying any taxes in the UK" 

If your UK income exceeds £11500pa then tax is payable !  If you know a legal  means whereby I can avoid paying tax on my UK derived income please share the secrete ....

Edited by perthperson
typo removed

8 minutes ago, perthperson said:

"Those who get the indexation in the UK are taxed in the UK most of us are not paying any taxes in the UK" 

If your UK income exceeds £11500pa then tax is payable !  If you know a legal  means whereby I can avoid paying tax on my UK derived income please share the secrete ....

Sell your UK assets and invest outside the UK, like UK and USA stocks, use non UK broker like IB, Interactive Brokers, no more UK tax and maybe no inheritance tax to pay as well

57 minutes ago, ginjag said:

If you return to the UK for a month or more you notify and they pay the going rate, until you leave again.   I you fully return too the UK  you will get the going rate.     confirmed.        But it is outrageous to save pension money when the old people have earned it in their working life----ROBBERY......human rights   ha ha ha

I seem to remember a while back some people took this problem of unfair pension to the ECHR, blair (the scrote) in turn, took a delegation to Brussels to block it and won, maybe someone can remember this, and come up with more details!

2 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I seem to remember a while back some people took this problem of unfair pension to the ECHR, blair (the scrote) in turn, took a delegation to Brussels to block it and won, maybe someone can remember this, and come up with more details!

Just to add,  a friend in the Philippines  gets full pension.   so over the last 10 years my friend is 12.000 quid better off than me.   Laugh now at this,  when I asked the reason the pension spokesperson said it is because I not normally reside in the UK,     so the Phil., are residing in the UK  ??--- then the person said  but you are not spending your pension in the UK    ?????     I want to add,   living out of the UK  apart from getting half a pension I am also saving the UK,  winter payments--TV --subsidized travel,  NHS,  doctor prescriptions,  and the rest........they had no further answer for me---------amazing government.

1 minute ago, ginjag said:

Just to add,  a friend in the Philippines  gets full pension.   so over the last 10 years my friend is 12.000 quid better off than me.   Laugh now at this,  when I asked the reason the pension spokesperson said it is because I not normally reside in the UK,     so the Phil., are residing in the UK  ??--- then the person said  but you are not spending your pension in the UK    ?????     I want to add,   living out of the UK  apart from getting half a pension I am also saving the UK,  winter payments--TV --subsidized travel,  NHS,  doctor prescriptions,  and the rest........they had no further answer for me---------amazing government.

And if you get enough pension you would be paying UK tax, as I and many more are doing right now!

Just now, maxcorrigan said:

And if you get enough pension you would be paying UK tax, as I and many more are doing right now!

But what is enough pension,  old persons pension is average 150 quid a week,      I am not talking about civil service  or any other pension.   so tell me on just an ordinary pension how much tax do people pay  ??

11 minutes ago, ginjag said:

But what is enough pension,  old persons pension is average 150 quid a week,      I am not talking about civil service  or any other pension.   so tell me on just an ordinary pension how much tax do people pay  ??

Personal allowance is approx. £11,000, so if you have no other UK income your UK pension can be up to that amount and no tax to pay in UK

1 minute ago, al007 said:

Personal allowance is approx. £11,000, so if you have no other UK income your UK pension can be up to that amount and no tax to pay in UK

Yes my personal allowance is £11,500 for 6th April 207 till 5th April 2018.

5 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

UK people are getting so angry about this sort of carry on, and turning a blind eye to non UK people being housed in hotel and given money-benefit, because of human rights-------crazy

5 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

doubled up  sorry

Edited by ginjag

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

I think EU expats get the increases, but there seems to be no consistency i don't think Aussie expats get the increases, but US expats do, someone put me right if i am wrong!

One of the only good things Corbyn believed in,was that he totally disagreed with this unfairness in pensions , the Tories on the other hand seem to think we ex-pats are traitors, but not it seems all, as others have said Singapore gets the increase!

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am just the opposite to you.

I hate the rain here as it makes the damn grass grow too fast and too high.

I have an ongoing project to cut the grass and scrub down for an hour a day, 5 days a week. When I have finished I start all over again.

I have grass but no work permit so I have no option but to pay the Thai gardeners to cut the grass for me while I sit inside the house with the aircon switched on and a beer in my hand.

UK has been good to me and continues to be so

Thailand - I will arrive to live full time, and relax, when my journey in the UK is done, and, continue an enjoyable Thai experience

My Thai experience will be enhanced by the base the UK has provided

Correct!! Alot of expats forget that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I am not yet drawing my UK pension, so it does not altogether bother me right now. However I totally agree it is an unfair arrangement and where you live should not be a consideration, if you've paid into the NI system for the required qualifying years why are expats treated any different to UK residents.

UK residents pay no tax on a basic government pension and no further NI contributions, yet they avail themselves of all the free social and health services, which expats generally do not. So what is the logic / reasoning behind freezing pensions for expats living in certain countries? I would be grateful to hear an explanation.

As I understand it if the complainants were to launch an online government petition and raise 100,000 supporting signatures there's has to be a hearing in parliament, and presumably a vote.

You can too much of a good thing and then you get fed up with it! I would not like to live in the South East of the UK, but where I live in Cheshire I am very happy. Thai wife is happy too. Love UK summers; not many bugs and it doesnt get too hot. The only real downside is the winter and then we head to Khon Kaen where we have a small house. Thailand v UK: pros and cons for both. Remember you have no citizen rights in Thailand, and it can be a very unequal society, so dont burn your bridges by giving up your home country residency. 20 years in Thailand on and off and even have Thai teenage kids so have some experience to call on. Probably as i get older we will spend more time in Thailand but would always aim to be in the UK for 6 months of every year. Best of both worlds is the way I see it!

4 hours ago, al007 said:

Sell your UK assets and invest outside the UK, like UK and USA stocks, use non UK broker like IB, Interactive Brokers, no more UK tax and maybe no inheritance tax to pay as well

Great idea but how does one sell an index linked Government pension ?  

Even assuming I took your advice I would still be on the tax hook ! 

You can too much of a good thing and then you get fed up with it! I would not like to live in the South East of the UK, but where I live in Cheshire I am very happy. Thai wife is happy too. Love UK summers; not many bugs and it doesnt get too hot. The only real downside is the winter and then we head to Khon Kaen where we have a small house. Thailand v UK: pros and cons for both. Remember you have no citizen rights in Thailand, and it can be a very unequal society, so dont burn your bridges by giving up your home country residency. 20 years in Thailand on and off and even have Thai teenage kids so have some experience to call on. Probably as i get older we will spend more time in Thailand but would always aim to be in the UK for 6 months of every year. Best of both worlds is the way I see it!

Cheshire my Cheshire!!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, perthperson said:

If you sold all your UK assets EXCEPT the pension, then I would think your PA would cover the pension income so you would still pay no UK tax. Not knowing your full situation that may or may not be feasible but might be worth considering.

Actually I wish the op best of luck.Everywhere these day's depends on how you yourself choose to make it.What area you choose to live,the people you choose to surround yourself and associate with.And as for paying taxes etc etc all western countries are grossly over taxed.But,you get better and more bang for your tax dollar.If he puts his mind to it I am sure,he will be just fine.

7 hours ago, perthperson said:

If your government inflation linked pension is above £11500 even if you have no other UK assets you are going to have to pay tax on the excess above 11500

However be grateful that you have a very good/excellent safe pension, and the more tax you are paying the greater that pension 

I would love to be paying a lot of UK tax because it would mean my pension was substantial

God Bless

20 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

'The people are bloody awful' ?? Wow. I hope everything works out for you here mate because you might need to call on those bloody awful people one day..

How's that then? I don't know the vast majority of the UK public, bar having to deal with some of them. My family are all I need, my UK based family and my Thai family of 20 years standing. I find the Thais over the years to be open and friendly and much easier to llive among than the people  I seemed to meet in UK.