Gall Bladder Scan Hospital?

ricklev

My doctor in Bangkok has suggested I do an ultrasound scan for gall bladder problems. I'm coming to Chiang Mai for a month or so on Sunday so I may as well do it there where it's a little cheaper.

Any suggestions for a mid-priced hospital for the scan? My doc in Bangkok said prices for the scan can vary from 1500 baht to 5000 baht in Bangkok.

And any specific suggestions for a surgeon if it comes to that?

If you go down the utility road that runs parallel to the Super Highway about half way in between Teppanya Hospital (Mae Jo Road) and Central Festival (Doi Saket Road), there is a clinic called "X-Ray" (053-852871). It looks funky but it is good; many hospitals send their patients there for radiology work. Ambulances come and go...There is a large yellow or green sign "X-RAY" out front and a large green sign on the front of the building. I've been there a few times for x-rays and abdominal ultrasound. The Radiologist is an older Chinese-ish woman who is very nice and speaks excellent English. She does gall bladder, liver ultrasound of course. She spends time explaining everything afterwards. Can't recall the price but probably less than 1500 as I recall. You are supposed to fast before an abdominal ultrasound.

8 hours ago, ricklev said:

Made a booking there for Monday.  They said the scan was 900 baht.  That's very reasonable compared to Bangkok.

Make sure to fast for about 9 hours or so. Even a little cream in morning coffee can give a false reading on the ultrasound.

Ultrasound is the way to go for gall bladder problems.
I had been suffering from stomach aches coming and going for a while, although at times seemed to be in my middle back, I thought maybe kidney stones.
Had the blood tests, urine, stool samples and X-rays, nothing.
Had the ultrasound and bingo !!, there it was on the screen 20mm in diameter ( like a boiled sweet).
Had the keyhole surgery, very simple op, quick recovery.

None of this done in Thailand as I was not living here then.

I did an ultrasound scan in march 2017. Paid 2500thb, that included the review and talk with a doctor afterwards.

Some extra info: in nov 2016 i went to the hospital with a lot of pain in the stomach. Got a catscan: 2.5cm gall stone. Doctor advice: remove the whole bladder... Me: no!

Educated myself on the subject. Got 2x an attack after this by eating the wrong foods. Both times i got the pain away by drinking "luk-tai-bai" tea (phyllanthus amarus schum & thonn). This herb is also known as the "stone-breaker" in other parts of the world.

In march 2017 ultrasone scan: 3.5cm. But the ultrasone scan is not as conclusive as a catscan, so it could be more loose stones or 1 big one. 

It is now july 2017. Last attack was 30dec 2016. Quit eating anything deep fried. Drink this luk-tai-bai tea every day in morning and evening. Use (real) butter, coconut oil and oluve oil. While i enjoyed fried chicken wings, i now eat bbq chicken and remove skin always. Very seldom an icecream. As my research indicated drinking a lot of applejuice softens the stone, i drink regular the apple-cider from tipco.

The stone might be growing, but ì have no problems. Planning on doing another scan in september. 

Good luck!

I did an ultrasound scan in march 2017. Paid 2500thb, that included the review and talk with a doctor afterwards.

Some extra info: in nov 2016 i went to the hospital with a lot of pain in the stomach. Got a catscan: 2.5cm gall stone. Doctor advice: remove the whole bladder... Me: no!

Educated myself on the subject. Got 2x an attack after this by eating the wrong foods. Both times i got the pain away by drinking "luk-tai-bai" tea (phyllanthus amarus schum & thonn). This herb is also known as the "stone-breaker" in other parts of the world.

In march 2017 ultrasone scan: 3.5cm. But the ultrasone scan is not as conclusive as a catscan, so it could be more loose stones or 1 big one. 

It is now july 2017. Last attack was 30dec 2016. Quit eating anything deep fried. Drink this luk-tai-bai tea every day in morning and evening. Use (real) butter, coconut oil and oluve oil. While i enjoyed fried chicken wings, i now eat bbq chicken and remove skin always. Very seldom an icecream. As my research indicated drinking a lot of applejuice softens the stone, i drink regular the apple-cider from tipco.

The stone might be growing, but ì have no problems. Planning on doing another scan in september. 

Good luck!

I had the gall bladder removed at beginning of 2009.

Gall stones are formed because your gall bladder has ceased to function. Even if you remove just the stone chances are a new stone will form.

I was advised when diagnosed with the 2cm stone to remove the gall bladder which I did with keyhole surgery.

After effects were supposed to be diarrhoea if ate too much fatty foods or excess sugar.

I never had any side effects ( although a friend of mine did suffer from diarrhoea but this disappeared when he altered his diet slightly by eating less fat and sugar products ).

I would recommend to the op to remove the gall bladder if doctors advise.

I had the scan today at the imaging center recommended by elektrified and found it easily by using the photo posted by MrBrad.Thanks to both of you! It was quick, easy and cheap. 

The scan revealed no gallbladder problems. 

6 hours ago, ricklev said:

I had the scan today at the imaging center recommended by elektrified and found it easily by using the photo posted by MrBrad.Thanks to both of you! It was quick, easy and cheap. 

The scan revealed no gallbladder problems. 

Good news!

On 7/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, tracker said:

Good luck!

Gall stones are a lifestyle problem, it ain't the big ones that harm you, but the little ones blocking the tubes. They work their way out but cause an infection from stomach bacteria. The infection is easily cured by broad spectrum antibiotic (and the blockage will have gone on it's own, it's the infection that causes the pain). But the pattern of blockage and infection will happen repeatedly unless you change your lifestyle. Stop eating all manufactured foods, fatty meats, no dairy, no bread, fried foods, sugar and fizzy drinks. Then exercise until you have lost weight and are fit and active. After fitness is achieved you can revert to your old eating habits.

I went the fitness route, only suffered one relapse (while still overweight) and cured it myself with 40bht of antibiotics. Now I weigh 75Kg and cycle at least an hour a day (down from 90Kg and zero exercise). No recurrence for the past 4 years. Eat normally now.

Or you can have the bits cut out and hope for the best.

PS. It's extremely dangerous to not treat the infection when the pain occurs Amoxicillin 500 (28bht from Makro Pharmacy) works for me.

Edited by MaeJoMTB