Second UK Visit Visa Refusal

4 hours ago, Taurus2017 said:

Appreciate your point. However I've heard of numerous examples where a lady has literally had nothing, I mean nothing and they've had a much shorter relationship and sailed through. The whole thing is antiquated and perplexing but yes, it is what it is! 

My point is that the only thing mentioned is the fact they couldn't verify the employment and nothing else was mentioned as previous. That's the annoyance because we will never know the truth behind the phone call carry on. 

so buying a scratty piece of land in her home town will satisfy as reason to return? I think not! 

We are going to leave it for now and look at other avenues however. Shame she isn't a 25 year old radicalised Iraqi man ?

40-50% of visa applications by Iraqis are refused, compared to 5-10% for visitor visas by Thai nationals.

Alternatively you can try to travel over land and sea and enter the UK without visa, try to claim asylum and see hiw that goes for Thai, Iraqies etc. You may wish to look asylum statistics if you go down that road.

4 hours ago, mick01827 said:

They very rarely approve a visa if you apply yourself as opposed to going through an agent, this has come from from agent/embassy. 

I've been through exactly the same situation, gf applied herself everything in order visa refused twice, went through an agent and got the visa 1st time, it's all about who you know and the agents know everyone in the embassy, my gf was asked 1 question at the interview 'what agent did you use', unfortunately you've just got to play the game if you want the visa. 

Nonsense. Most Thai get their visitor visa and you can't tell me that they all use an agent. Only a (seedy, dishonest) agent would tell you otherwise. Many embassies even publicallt state that you don't need an agent worse and warn against shady agents that certainly charge thousands of GBP/euro's.

Below some stats. Sadly it's not just standard visitor visas but a few minor categories aswell. Regardless it gives a good impression as most of the applications shown are standard visitors. Perhaps 7by7 knows how to dig up refusal ratings for general type C short stay UK visas? Id love to compare them to type C Schengen visa stats (refusal % etc, 2-4% of Thai are refused by Schengen members) as published on EU home affairs. 

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-statistics-october-to-december-2016/passenger-arrivals-and-visitors

19023644_1601056383270392_4271251834784424521_o.jpg

18952866_1601018179940879_1256924265940123675_n.jpg

Edited by Donutz

14 minutes ago, Taurus2017 said:

Now I just need to decide whether to get an amended letter stating the opening hours and to contact the owner directly should any additional checks be needed so that they can't be thrown off trail by the poison dwarf dried up bitter manager! To be fair, my girl has lost face now and has said just to leave it....it's her call at the end of the day.

Of course it is but it depends how badly she wants the visa. A job is by far the best way to show a reason to return.

Off-topic but since I me mentioned Schengen refusals of 2-3-4% see details below.

A 1 on 1 comparison to UK type C short stay visas (tourism, visiting friends etc) cannot be made. Or atleast I can't as I have not found those stats narrowed down for UK visas. :(

Source:

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy#stats

FB_IMG_1497169992119.jpg

FB_IMG_1497170013651.jpg

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Two months is a bit of a stretch for a first visit visa imho knowing how much time Thais get for holidays.

A tourist visa to the UK automatically entitles the applicant to stay six months, so it is hard to see how a two month visit would be problematical. The bottom line,I suspect, is that for some reason they believe this young lady has plans to remain in UK when her holiday visia expires. A full time job in Thailand which pays what would be a derisory salary in the UK is routinely regarded as insufficient evidence of an intention to return.

One can understand why so many falangs end up marrying Thai girls just to get them into their home country (often with disastrous results). The system virtually forces one to do this - or kiss the relationship goodbye. Decisions about who to admit or bar are made often by very immigration officers with little exerience of life and relationships -and I gasther that the appeals system against debatable decisions has been abandonedf.

The plight of people like this young couple has not exactly been helped by the Brexit decision, which has put even more pressure on the British government to tighten up its border control policy. Unless this luckless couple can produce additional evidence to convince Immigration that she is sure to return to Thailand after her visit, the outlook is not sunny.

'A tourist visa to the UK automatically entitles the applicant to stay six months ...' No, it doesn't. It's a six-month, multi-entry visa, but it does not automatically bestow the right to remain for the full six months on one visit. Hence the requirement to enter details of the duration of the visit.

Years ago, the consulate staff were hands-on, and things went a lot more smoothly. Now the F.O. outsources more than it in-houses, while being singularly unable to understand the business concept of customer service. A private company, Sitel, now even deals with status updates ... for a fee, surprise, surprise. Though in LoS, a THB85 fee secures SMS updates.

'A tourist visa to the UK automatically entitles the applicant to stay six months ...' No, it doesn't. It's a six-month, multi-entry visa, but it does not automatically bestow the right to remain for the full six months on one visit. Hence the requirement to enter details of the duration of the visit.

Years ago, the consulate staff were hands-on, and things went a lot more smoothly. Now the F.O. outsources more than it in-houses, while being singularly unable to understand the business concept of customer service. A private company, Sitel, now even deals with status updates ... for a fee, surprise, surprise. Though in LoS, a THB85 fee secures SMS updates.

Settlement visas are dealt with by a UK office, but Visitor visas are still issued/refused by Bangkok based ECOs.

Many Thanks bobrussell. 

We may re-apply for a shorter visit and highlight the issue with contacting the employer, or we might leave it a few months to give it more credibility. Not sure which way to play it - it's upto her anyway, she already wouldnt say boo to a goose so I think the whole thing has knocked her for six bless her!

15 hours ago, Taurus2017 said:

It's a tricky one because the manager of the shop (who is a nasty piece of work seemingly) is swearing blind to the owner that nobody called at all....I don't trust her however. I am just hoping the ECO had the foresight to call during business hours (11am to 11pm) and not before 9am as when they called my girlfriend! It isn't clear on the refusal whether anyone was reached or it just rang so we will never know the outcome. The owner requested on the headed letter to call her mobile if couldn't get through to the shop.

And the 2 month thing I even gave reasons why that would be ok at this time of year taking into account how quiet that business is as based around tourism solely. This is why her overall boss suggested she go now and better get back for high season. 

Secondly, as stated above, we provided evidence of her being a lease holder of her own business where she employs her mum and sister. Again I can see why this is taken with a pinch of salt. 

It just bugs me that we will never know if they did get in touch with the shop or they tried at a time when it wasn't open as I can only imagine they initially called right after talking with my girlfriend at 9am (it was the same date). The problem now is the whole thing has caused big upset in her work to the point she doesn't want to be there anymore as she believes this rat of a manager has said nobody can verify anything upon the ECO calling, however I have a suspicion they haven't even got through at all...we will never know. 

I can see how a strong sponsorship and weak reason to return could suggest an issue returning however this isn't mentioned on the letter - it appears to boil down to the phone calls. 

It is fairly disgraceful in this day and age that there is no appeal in a case like this or a way of seeing notes regarding whether they spoke to anyone or actually tried during business hours! 

I could really do with being pointed in the direction of someone that could have some sway with this so please PM me if you know of any avenues to go down.

and lastly thank you very much everyone, glad I finally joined, it's great to hear everyone's views on this! 

I agree your rejection letter didn't mention your strong sponsorship and ties to your own country, and her weak reasons to return to Thailand. But that is like not seeing the forest through all those trees. 

The primary concern of the embassy rejecting your girl friend is they don't feel strongly enough that she would return to Thailand after the visa expired. Have no doubt about that! The whole reason behind them trying to call her employer, was to establlish some roots in Thailand. But the point people are making here is that even if they had gotten through to her employer, she still most likely would have been rejected anyway.

My wife was almost rejected one time only because they felt that if she came with me she would not come back. They had no problem with her living there with me, but wanted her to apply for citizenship at the embassy, and not while in country. I was ionly able to turn this around when I proved at her interview my job was outside of my country, and I knew the head of the embassy personally. 

I have used agents in the past to get my Visa, but never one at a trusted embassy like the UK, or Canada. How it worked was the Agent was trusted by the embassy staff, and he paid them money under the table to get the Visa. They were too afraid to accept a bribe from just a stranger, but with this agent there was no proof. I didn't know this at the time, but found out later. Whether this helps you now or not, I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

My wife was almost rejected one time only because they felt that if she came with me she would not come back. They had no problem with her living there with me, but wanted her to apply for citizenship at the embassy, and not while in country. I was ionly able to turn this around when I proved at her interview my job was outside of my country, and I knew the head of the embassy personally. 

I have used agents in the past to get my Visa, but never one at a trusted embassy like the UK, or Canada. How it worked was the Agent was trusted by the embassy staff, and he paid them money under the table to get the Visa. They were too afraid to accept a bribe from just a stranger, but with this agent there was no proof. I didn't know this at the time, but found out later. Whether this helps you now or not, I have no idea. 

As far as I'm aware all interviews, as such, nowadays are done over the phone. I have seen refusal notices where an applicant has been called and has been unable to verify information given in the sponsor letter, others where an employer has said the wrong thing but I don't recall a phone call where a sponsor has been called at all.

It sounds as if your story was from a long time ago and I'm not sure how you think it could help the OP. UKVI is isolated and independent of VFS. VFS have no idea whether a visa has been granted or not.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 5:03 PM, Mattd said:

The thing that needs addressing by the looks of it is proving to the ECO that your girlfriend intends on returning back to Thailand at the end of the proposed visit, this is obviously what is causing the refusal, take a look at her situation and try to provide a meaningful reason why she would return.

A job to return to is certainly one reason and should definitely be included, provide the mobile number of her employer for sure, did her employer state that this LOA was granted in the letter?

Are the other reasons you can find, does she own any property, land etc.? The more the better.

Most everything else you have clearly shown the ECO, i.e. proven relationship, enough funds available for the sponsorship for her holiday and so on, however, until she can show that she will return to the satisfaction of the ECO, then the refusals will keep on coming I'm afraid.

i think you just about covered everything.:thumbsup:

its all very important that your g/f tells the truth about her past or covers it up 100% if her past is a bit iffy. dose she have money in her own thai bank account like 2 or 300,000 baht what about the address where she will be staying in the uk?

4 hours ago, rasg said:

As far as I'm aware all interviews, as such, nowadays are done over the phone. I have seen refusal notices where an applicant has been called and has been unable to verify information given in the sponsor letter, others where an employer has said the wrong thing but I don't recall a phone call where a sponsor has been called at all.

It sounds as if your story was from a long time ago and I'm not sure how you think it could help the OP. UKVI is isolated and independent of VFS. VFS have no idea whether a visa has been granted or not.

I wasn't called. I was sitting at the embassy while my wife was in for her interview. When she came out in tears to tell me they were going to refuse her visa I demanded to speak to them. I talked to the interviewer and had things changed around after that. 

It was quite a long time ago but I am not sure if all embassies do all interviews over a telephone now, and like you say. But it makes no difference as the point I was raising was she was going to be refused a visa because they felt she would not come back, and not how the interview happened and how I changed things. 

20 hours ago, Taurus2017 said:

as well as the fact I have visited 9 times in the 18 months we've been together.

"We have been 'together' since December 2015, I have visited her 7 times since and we have documented every visit in my supporting file."

Maybe there were other discrepancies, such as how many times you have visited ?

3 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

"We have been 'together' since December 2015, I have visited her 7 times since and we have documented every visit in my supporting file."

Maybe there were other discrepancies, such as how many times you have visited ?

If there were any discrepancies when the ECO spoke to his girlfrend it would have been mentioned in the refusal letter.

4 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I wasn't called. I was sitting at the embassy while my wife was in for her interview. When she came out in tears to tell me they were going to refuse her visa I demanded to speak to them. I talked to the interviewer and had things changed around after that. 

It was quite a long time ago but I am not sure if all embassies do all interviews over a telephone now, and like you say. But it makes no difference as the point I was raising was she was going to be refused a visa because they felt she would not come back, and not how the interview happened and how I changed things. 

There would be no opportunity to do that now.

I have read quite a few instances on here where a girlfriend was called and she was described as nervous and confused by the boyfriend and simply wasn't able to confirm simple details. A partner's birthday, when they met etc. One recently put their foot right in it by stating that they would stay the full six months of the visa despite requesting a few weeks in the sponsor letter and having a job to return to as their reason to return.

Recently a poster on here simply said that he didn’t know his girlfriend might be called at all and she didn’t know much about the contents of the visa.

My wife had a checklist that I created from the info in the sponsor letter plus  the names of my sisters and brother in law, mum and dads' names, our address, our plans. Most of it, basic stuff that she already knew but might trip up on under a bit pressure.

The main trick is to coach your partner in what has been said in the sponsor letter and the rest of the application just in case she gets that phone call.

It's worthwhile creating that list even if the visa is granted as they can go through the same kind of stuff at immigration in the UK. You can add the "not allowed to work" to the list for immigration too.

On my wife's first trip here she was questioned for 25 minutes and they slipped the working question in with quite a few others. My two middle names question was in there too.

Fortunately she was never called but we were prepared for it.

Edited by rasg

On 7/7/2017 at 1:07 PM, misterphil said:

She has no reason to return to Thailand, you have a hell of a lot more than she has so immigration think she wont come back hence the rejection.  

Don't reapply, she will get a 10 year ban if you are persistent. 

Reasons to return:

Land
House
Cars 

Motorbikes

Children

You, if you lived in Thailand she would have you to return to.  

When we applied for a UK tourist visa last year, they made it clear that we could NOT give details of any property owned by my wife, specifically our [her] house, cars and motorcycles.

4 hours ago, rasg said:

If there were any discrepancies when the ECO spoke to his girlfrend it would have been mentioned in the refusal letter.

There would be no opportunity to do that now.

I have read quite a few instances on here where a girlfriend was called and she was described as nervous and confused by the boyfriend and simply wasn't able to confirm simple details. A partner's birthday, when they met etc. One recently put their foot right in it by stating that they would stay the full six months of the visa despite requesting a few weeks in the sponsor letter and having a job to return to as their reason to return.

Recently a poster on here simply said that he didn’t know his girlfriend might be called at all and she didn’t know much about the contents of the visa.

My wife had a checklist that I created from the info in the sponsor letter plus  the names of my sisters and brother in law, mum and dads' names, our address, our plans. Most of it, basic stuff that she already knew but might trip up on under a bit pressure.

The main trick is to coach your partner in what has been said in the sponsor letter and the rest of the application just in case she gets that phone call.

It's worthwhile creating that list even if the visa is granted as they can go through the same kind of stuff at immigration in the UK. You can add the "not allowed to work" to the list for immigration too.

On my wife's first trip here she was questioned for 25 minutes and they slipped the working question in with quite a few others. My two middle names question was in there too.

Fortunately she was never called but we were prepared for it.

I agree that they don't conduct interviews as couples. Just with the applicant. In my case I didn't plan to go to any interviews. I just went to the embassy with her and waited for her outside in the waiting area while she had it.

It was only after she came outside in tears, and said she was going to be refused, that I asked to speak to the interviewer, and was granted permission. Which I guess I was lucky for us that they did. We didn't own our own house in her country, and she didn't hold down a job. But she was finished her 3rd year at university, with one more to go, and on her summer break. 

But for some unknown reason the interviewer was so sure that if they let her go, she won't come back. She was totally convince that we were going to settle down there. That we were only applying for a Touritst Visa for her as it was quicker and cheaper then applying for a Residence Visa. Both of which I thought she should have been able to get. But even then no information I provided her should make her think this way.

Things turned around a little, when I proved to her I worked Overseas, and not in my own country, thus myself not really have strong ties there. So if I had no strong reasons to move there and become a resident again, then why would my wife? But it still wasn't enough to totally convince her and I felt she was still going to reject my wife. 

I had personally known the Embassador as he grew up in my home town and we played hockey against each other. I can't claim we were great friends, but at the least we knew each other from our chldhood. It was only then, when I asked the interviewer if I could speak to him, and calling him by his full name, to have him explain to me why I was being refused, she back tracked. She said she hadn't refused my wife but was merely asking questions, and then stamped my wife's passport with a visa. 

As you mentioned, it is good to have these questions prepared as even when you get to that country with a perfectly good Visa, they can pull you over and ask questions. This is exactly what happend to us. We had a few hours until our next in-country flight, but we just made it with them closing the door behind us, as this interview took so long. 

What I never could understand from this whole experience, is how is it when you want to bring your wife to meet your family the first time, that they make that so difficult on the both of you. Yet on the other hand, they welcome people with open arms who have no family ties there and no history in that country at all. Go Figure? 

I agree that they don't conduct interviews as couples. Just with the applicant. In my case I didn't plan to go to any interviews. I just went to the embassy with her and waited for her outside in the waiting area while she had it.

It was only after she came outside in tears, and said she was going to be refused, that I asked to speak to the interviewer, and was granted permission. Which I guess I was lucky for us that they did. We didn't own our own house in her country, and she didn't hold down a job. But she was finished her 3rd year at university, with one more to go, and on her summer break. 

But for some unknown reason the interviewer was so sure that if they let her go, she won't come back. She was totally convince that we were going to settle down there. That we were only applying for a Touritst Visa for her as it was quicker and cheaper then applying for a Residence Visa. Both of which I thought she should have been able to get. But even then no information I provided her should make her think this way.

Things turned around a little, when I proved to her I worked Overseas, and not in my own country, thus myself not really have strong ties there. So if I had no strong reasons to move there and become a resident again, then why would my wife? But it still wasn't enough to totally convince her and I felt she was still going to reject my wife. 

I had personally known the Embassador as he grew up in my home town and we played hockey against each other. I can't claim we were great friends, but at the least we knew each other from our chldhood. It was only then, when I asked the interviewer if I could speak to him, and calling him by his full name, to have him explain to me why I was being refused, she back tracked. She said she hadn't refused my wife but was merely asking questions, and then stamped my wife's passport with a visa. 

As you mentioned, it is good to have these questions prepared as even when you get to that country with a perfectly good Visa, they can pull you over and ask questions. This is exactly what happend to us. We had a few hours until our next in-country flight, but we just made it with them closing the door behind us, as this interview took so long. 

What I never could understand from this whole experience, is how is it when you want to bring your wife to meet your family the first time, that they make that so difficult on the both of you. Yet on the other hand, they welcome people with open arms who have no family ties there and no history in that country at all. Go Figure? 

But this is very dated information and bears almost no resemblance to the current system and visa issuing procedure. So not really relevant to the OP.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Off topic post flaming other member removed, whilst comments about how things may have been done many years ago may be interesting, they're not relevant now.

As has been pointed out by other posters this thread has deteriorated due to the posting of incorrect information, whilst responses are of course always welcome, please only post if you can offer accurate and meaningful advice, guesses and "blasts from the past" are not at all helpful.

Thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

guesses and "blasts from the past" are not at all helpful

If I may add, especially when those blasts from the past appear to be about a country other than the UK!

The rules and requirements are not the same everywhere!

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Donutz said:

Perhaps 7by7 knows how to dig up refusal ratings for general type C short stay UK visas?

It used to be simple; UKVI, or UKBA as it was then, published simple to find and read annual statistics in a simple list form.

That stopped a few years ago, and they now publish detailed quarterly Excel tables, which you have to download and then navigate your way through to find what you want; which is beyond me, I'm afraid!

If anyone wants a go, start here.

The success rate for standard UK visit visa applications in Thailand used to be around 95%; I doubt it will have changed that much.

• Like 1

Thanks 7by7, that's the page I downloaded some tables from and used for the screen captures. They give some indication (90-95% success rate for visas from Thailand but failing to specify this further into categories such as Standard Visitor etc). Unlike the Schengen visas, the approval and denial ratings seem pretty stable throughout the years so it could very well still be around 95% for standard visitors. 

A bit of a tendency for the thread to wander again into the realms of history or fantasy!

The only point I would add is that property and long term commitments do have a bearing on reasons to return. Paint a picture of a settled life in Thailand and it can only be beneficial but only as part of the overall application.

Car finance may be for a vehicle a family member drives, it is not that out of the ordinary for Thai people to move and work away from children. Even house ownership does not guarantee a return.

The aim is to demonstrate that on the balance of probabilities an applicant will return within the terms of the visa. Clearly having a job to return to, within a believable time limit, is an important measure an ECO uses.

None of this is fool proof and numbers of people from throughout the world overstay.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:00 AM, Taurus2017 said:

It just bugs me that we will never know if they did get in touch with the shop or they tried at a time when it wasn't open as I can only imagine they initially called right after talking with my girlfriend at 9am (it was the same date). The problem now is the whole thing has caused big upset in her work to the point she doesn't want to be there anymore as she believes this rat of a manager has said nobody can verify anything upon the ECO calling, however I have a suspicion they haven't even got through at all...we will never know. 

The office manager sabotaging an application is pure supposition and only gains more credence the more one wonders why and what if?

So your girlfriend quits. Even if she gets a new job, she will have another boss or manager who may or may not be as willing to grant 2 months vacation or even support an application.

An emplyment history that lacks continuity may also not look as good.

Big picture. Suck it up and do it again but ensure that there's a mobile phone number for critical contacts.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:07 AM, misterphil said:

She has no reason to return to Thailand, you have a hell of a lot more than she has so immigration think she wont come back hence the rejection.  

Don't reapply, she will get a 10 year ban if you are persistent. 

Reasons to return:

Land
House
Cars 

Motorbikes

Children

You, if you lived in Thailand she would have you to return to.  

That is total rubbish she wont get a 10 year ban for repeatedly applying for a visa you get that for lieing, they may well keep refusing it but that is about all. Your reason to return are also not really true, having children land, houses cars, motorbikes are all no reason to return. I have got my mother in law numerous visas to the UK and she has nothing. In fact she is here in the UK at the moment for 5 months and the visa was granted without any problem and with out having anything on your list

We got my girlfriend's (now wife) first visit visa in early 2015. Asked for 3 months. If I had believed half the stuff posted on this forum we would never have applied. My girlfriend had nothing - no job, no money, no ties etc. I just followed the guidance notes.  The visa was granted in a week. No phone calls. What we did have going for us was a reasonably lengthy relationship (with tickets etc to show travel around Asia together) and my job involved working with the UK and Thai governments (so maybe they thought I wouldn't want to screw that up with an overstay). Anyway, she stayed 5 months in the end with a short break back in Thailand in the middle. The following year got married and got a family (spouse) visa - also processed very quickly.

I think there is a very high degree of subjectivity in some of these decisions.

My advice is resubmit according to guidance notes and have someone on duty by the phone over the critical period......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

We got my girlfriend's (now wife) first visit visa in early 2015. Asked for 3 months. If I had believed half the stuff posted on this forum we would never have applied. My girlfriend had nothing - no job, no money, no ties etc. I just followed the guidance notes.  The visa was granted in a week. No phone calls. What we did have going for us was a reasonably lengthy relationship (with tickets etc to show travel around Asia together) and my job involved working with the UK and Thai governments (so maybe they thought I wouldn't want to screw that up with an overstay). Anyway, she stayed 5 months in the end with a short break back in Thailand in the middle. The following year got married and got a family (spouse) visa - also processed very quickly.

I think there is a very high degree of subjectivity in some of these decisions.

My advice is resubmit according to guidance notes and have someone on duty by the phone over the critical period......

My girlfriend, now wife, was in the same situation as yours and she applied back in May/June 2015 but we had only met, very late in January that year. Three trips to Thailand between January and May, no doubt helped along with hotel and flight bookings within Thailand during that period.

I think UKVI have tightened up since then and I have seen many applications refused recently that probably would have gone through a couple of years ago without a problem.

My girlfriend, now wife, was in the same situation as yours and she applied back in May/June 2015 but we had only met, very late in January that year. Three trips to Thailand between January and May, no doubt helped along with hotel and flight bookings within Thailand during that period.

I think UKVI have tightened up since then and I have seen many applications refused recently that probably would have gone through a couple of years ago without a problem.

Is there any hard evidence of this? Or is it because there are more applications?

9 hours ago, rasg said:

Are you involved in the travel/visa business to have seen many applications?

I just ask because I had two Thai friends come visit me in the UK in March. Self-funded holiday travel. They left getting visas until the last minute and to my astonishment were granted without a problem in a couple of days!  I think with something like 95% of applicants receiving a visitor visa there is no systematic problem in obtaining a visa. Its more likely that ECO's look a bit askance at a penniless Thai girl with a 2-month-old long-distance 'relationship' wanting to come to the UK..

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there any hard evidence of this? Or is it because there are more applications?

I think it's probably because those who have had applications refused are more inclined to post the details of their refusals than those who have been successful, hopefully looking for some meaningful advice on this forum. It could indeed be that applications are now scrutinised more robustly, or it may just look that way.

• Like 1