Cat Food In Bangkok?

MartinBKK

Hi

As fellow cat owners might appreciate for some reason only fish flavoured cat food appears to be stocked by the supermarkets in BKK. My kitten is tired of it and id like to buy her some meat flavours. I know i can feed her actual meats (eg. not cat food) but this doesnt give her a balanced diet.

Does anyone have any idea where i could buy some non-fish cat food in BKK?

Thanks.

There is a more serious side to the limited range of cat foods in Thailand than mere feline fussiness, especially due to most of the available food being dry.

Particuliarly for male cats there is a high rate of Feline Urinary Syndrome in which the cat develops a bladder problem preventing it from being able to urinate. The problem is due to an accumulation of crystals in the bladder which can lead to blockage of the urethra. The early stages could be tiredness and vomiting and if not treated by a capable vet (not always easy to find in Thailand) then death can occurr in 24-48 hours. In advanced forms the cat may have a tennis ball sized bladder that will be apparent if you gently inspect your cat in that part of its body and this will indicate a severe problem having developed.

Dry cat food is particuliarly to blame according to researchers. But in addition, a fish flavour only diet also increases the chance of this disease. Having recently lost our neutered male to this disease, which is why I looked into it, we have now tried to povide a more balanced diet for our female. We have also had difficulty in finding non-fish canned foods or non-fish dried foods but will now try a pet shop and even try some dog food.

I hope this message will help prevent other people's cats from suffering as ours did.