Attention focused on police reform committee’s meeting with PM Prayut

webfact

Attention focused on police reform committee’s meeting with PM
By Suriya Patathayo
The Nation

9ded81c013451ac8b38da7e8cd79eb17.jpeg

National Legislative Assembly member General Boonsrang Niumpradit, who has just been named as chairman of the police reform committee, met with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngarm |yesterday but refuses to give an interview.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s meeting today with the 36-member committee on police reform will be watched closely by concerned observers.

The chairman of the meeting is National Legislative Assembly (NLA) member General Boonsrang Niumpradit, who is a former Supreme Commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces. 

Meechai Ruchuphan, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission, expected the committee to allow police to advance their career based on their performance, not lobbying. 

“That’s the intention of the new charter,” Meechai said.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, said he had no objection to Boonsrang, a military man, being chairman of the committee on police reform. 

“There is no rule to require that the chair must be a former policeman,” the veteran politician said. 

Abhisit said that he was actually concerned about the fact that there were so many policemen on the police-reform committee. 

“With the strong presence of policemen on the committee, many figures are now worried that the committee may try to maintain the current structure or even try to boost police power. If this happens, it is not going to be the reform people want,” Abhisit said. 

He also commented that relevant authorities should make clear what the police reform should be about. 

“Let’s announce the clear directions,” he said. 

Boonsrang yesterday refused to comment on what he planned to do. But he promised to give an interview on his mission next week. 

“Please give me one more week,” he said after emerging from a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Kreangam. 

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said the committee should be able to deliver tangible work within nine months. 

“There may be no drastic changes. But the reform will definitely improve things,” he said. 

Prawit himself expected the police reform to improve investigation, interrogation, forensic science, legal enforcement and work related to judicial process.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30320096

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-07

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prawit himself expected the police reform to improve investigation, interrogation, forensic science, legal enforcement and work related to judicial process.

These are all worthy goals.

However, the exclusion of corruption from the stated list of goal is rather worrisome. Wouldn't most people have put that at number one?

I thought Prayuth fixed the police in 2014??? Anyway, how much do committee members get paid in this country? It seems that for every single government department there are at least 3 committees. It seems like a sweet gig to me - where do I sign up?

Rather than so many questionable Thai police officers on the committee, maybe they should invite officers from countries where reform has already been successfully carried out, such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, the U.K. And the US. 

Then there may may be some effective recommendations that result, rather than another fudge job.

But I expect face will prevent asking for help from foreign countries.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“There may be no drastic changes. But the reform will definitely improve things,” he said. 

Looks like the reform won't touch work ethics, or plain criminal behavior - that would be too drastic, I guess

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

These are all worthy goals.

However, the exclusion of corruption from the stated list of goal is rather worrisome. Wouldn't most people have put that at number one?

I may be wrong but in this land of not calling a spade a spade, I think the following reference may be related to addressing corruption?

Meechai Ruchuphan, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission, expected the committee to allow police to advance their career based on their performance, not lobbying

It has been a long time coming when one considered that police reform was front and center of the PM's wish list within a few months of either the coup or becoming the PM. Then it all went quiet and one may have thought that things were going on in the background regarding this odious 'lobbying'. Maybe it was just some initial laying-low but the RTP but gradually showed that the old ways still prevail with more and more very public foot-in-mouth or hand-in-the-cookie-jar moments.

“With the strong presence of policemen on the committee, many figures are now worried that the committee may try to maintain the current structure or even try to boost police power. If this happens, it is not going to be the reform people want,” Abhisit said. 

It would indicate the classic 'fox watching the chickens' but in a lot of less developed countries, especially ones that have endured any form of direct military or military-backed rule, a strong police force is the very necessary counterbalance to the military once societal and political reforms are allowed and democracy grows.

General Boonsrang Niumpradit, who has just been named as chairman of the police reform committee.....but refuses to give an interview.

Why is it I have this predictable feeling that General Boonsrang is nothing more that Prayut's puppet on the committee. He cannot give an interview or comment until the content is approved by the PM.

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Why is it I have this predictable feeling that General Boonsrang is nothing more that Prayut's puppet on the committee. He cannot give an interview or comment until the content is approved by the PM.

Because you refuse to be one of the much maligned 'Thai apologists' who are liberal with the 'benefit of the doubt' clause?

Or, you could be just being predictable.

Meechai Ruchuphan, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission, expected the committee to allow police to advance their career based on their performance,

not lobbying.

I think this means that performance will be based on the size of the brown envelope submitted with the application for advancement.

Bigger envelope == better performance.

"...expected the police reform to improve investigation, interrogation, forensic science, legal enforcement and work related to judicial process."

And corruption will continue unabated :post-4641-1156693976: All face saving and no substance.Totally immersed in their own bulls hit. Unfortunately, where there is no will there is no way.  

I am reminded of a circus run by clowns.

My italics.