New immigration boss vows deep investigation of expats

webfact

Just now, KittenKong said:

1. Because many farangs here are crooks.

2. Because many farangs here are crooks.

3. Because many farangs here are crooks.

I would like to see them leave. Closely followed by the Thai crooks.

Then Thailand would be really nice.

Agree with you on all counts but how is ramping up checks on long-stay visa holders going to make any difference?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

Agree with you on all counts but how is ramping up checks on long-stay visa holders going to make any difference?

I doubt that it would, though it might serve to scare off some of the worst crooks. Checks on their financial activities and tax payments (if any) might be more to the point.

I know several farangs who are operating illegal businesses here without any sort of permit, and who dont declare the income.

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I doubt that it would, though it might serve to scare off some of the worst crooks. Checks on their financial activities and tax payments (if any) might be more to the point.

I know several farangs who are operating illegal businesses here without any sort of permit, and who dont declare the income.

That would neccessitate involvement and cooperation from other government departments. Is that likely?

'Said LONG ago, when all the visa scrutiny started over border runs and back-to-back tourist visas, and then ED visas, and the expats began pontificating on what a "tourist" actually is, for expats with their long-term visas not to be so smug.  I said their turn would come and that they'd get THEIR chance to start jumping through hoops and performing various other circus stunts, too.  Quite a few snickered like little girls and the dimmest bulbs still do.

The worm's actually been gradually turning for quite awhile, but THIS should finally serve warning on the slowest learners.   You know, the frog in the pot slowly coming to a boil?

Enjoy!  'Hope you've got a Plan B!

6 hours ago, champers said:

That would neccessitate involvement and cooperation from other government departments. Is that likely?

I'm sure it will happen one day, sooner or later. When the Thai government realises just how much they are losing to these people.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

'Said LONG ago, when all the visa scrutiny started over border runs and back-to-back tourist visas, and then ED visas, and the expats began pontificating on what a "tourist" actually is, for expats with their long-term visas not to be so smug.  I said their turn would come and that they'd get THEIR chance to start jumping through hoops and performing various other circus stunts, too.  Quite a few snickered like little girls and the dimmest bulbs still do.

I have a retirement extension. Immigration is welcome to vet me as much as it wants: they will find nothing to complain about, anywhere.

The worm's actually been gradually turning for quite awhile, but THIS should finally serve warning on the slowest learners.

I've noticed no change in the way my extension is made, except that the procedure has become quicker over the years. Last year it took me well under one hour in total, over two visits on two successive days.

'Hope you've got a Plan B!

Always. I am thoroughly aware that Thailand only wants my money and would be delighted to see the back of me if it could afford to. Anyone who doesnt see that is an idiot.

If only such a policy could get rid of the real  white scum who live here ... They are a minority, of course, but they sure do a good job of giving us all a bad name.

Unfortunately, as is always the case with such heavily advertised campaigns, the ones who will be negatively affected are the perfectly normal, discreet, law abiding people, mostly retirees, who just want to live here in peace, and who are bringing a fair amount of cash into the local economy.

Why will the 'bad guys' be unaffected ? because they already know how to go around the law. That's what bad guys do.

In the end, a tremendous amount of energy, time and money will have been spent moving a mountain in order to dislodge a couple of moles. In the process, normal  expats which - I repeat - form a large majority, will grow a little bit more p*ssed off, because once again, an accusing finger is pointed at all  white foreigners, nasty sweeping statements are made, and useless hassle is put in place, which make our life here a little bit more difficult and unpleasant year after year.

And no, this is not about the junta, because openly xenophobic declarations and policies started with Thaksin. Like any other demagogue on the planet he understood very well how consensual and thus politically effective it was to accuse foreigners of everything that went wrong here. His successors agree with him on that, and why wouldn't they, if it makes Thais happy ? Hitler would support that stance too, wholeheartedly.

16 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

If only such a policy could get rid of the real  white scum who live here ... They are a minority, of course, but they sure do a good job of giving us all a bad name.

The reason is that the "white scum" is so well connected with the "Thai scum" because they have plenty of money to throw around earned by their dubious practices.

Some where even known as legal advisor to the Pattaya mayor, however they had no legal background of any kind, before they had to flee Thailand to avoid arrests.

40 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Unfortunately, as is always the case with such heavily advertised campaigns, the ones who will be negatively affected are the perfectly normal, discreet, law abiding people, mostly retirees, who just want to live here in peace, and who are bringing a fair amount of cash into the local economy.

Why will the 'bad guys' be unaffected ? because they already know how to go around the law. That's what bad guys do.

In the end, a tremendous amount of energy, time and money will have been spent moving a mountain in order to dislodge a couple of moles. In the process, normal  expats which - I repeat - form a large majority, will grow a little bit more p*ssed off, because once again, an accusing finger is pointed at all  white foreigners, nasty sweeping statements are made, and useless hassle is put in place, which make our life here a little bit more difficult and unpleasant year after year.

And no, this is not about the junta, because openly xenophobic declarations and policies started with Thaksin. Like any other demagogue on the planet he understood very well how consensual and thus politically effective it was to accuse foreigners of everything that went wrong here. His successors agree with him on that, and why wouldn't they, if it makes Thais happy ? Hitler would support that stance too, wholeheartedly.

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

In the end, a tremendous amount of energy, time and money will have been spent moving a mountain in order to dislodge a couple of moles.

I think the moles may be more numerous than that.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think the moles may be more numerous than that.

You are certainly right, but I was talking about the moles who are likely to get caught  in this campaign.

Nothing wrong in making a statement when you're new at the office.   I think it's  fine if it will get tougher for people that live in Pattaya thanks to corrupted officers., people on overstays etc.

For the rest of us we can only hope the queues at immigration will not increase because of all this. I have been very happy with Chonburi immigration,  my 90 day report is normally done in less than 10 minutes.  So I expect that to continue. They are using computers now to check us up. Still lots of paperwork for some . 

19 hours ago, sambum said:

"Songprode told his new staff he intends to dedicate his work and commitments toward the security of visitors to Pattaya and the surrounding areas."

So who to look at and investigate in terms of those posing a risk to the visitors to Pattaya?

Old age pensioners, and those people who have been here for years without causing trouble of any kind!!!

Got to get your (easiest) priorities right, I suppose. So we can now look forward to more red tape at Immigration for annual extensions in addition to:-  Google maps of one's house (Not clear enough? - 100 baht for them to do a copy)  accompanied by a hand drawn map of the same, photocopies of one's passport (right way up or 100 baht for a new copy) medical certificate including blood tests and X Rays, plus all the OFFICIAL documentation required.

I suppose the next thing will be a letter from one's primary school teacher attesting to one's good character!!!

..geez..i wet my pants in grade II...Im buggered!

As any details may emerge of any actual new requirements (or "hoops" to jump through if you like) please share them so we can be prepared for the fun and games. 

Hopefully, this will be yet another nothingburger, but we never really know, do we? 

To those expats cheerleading such crackdowns, I find that very curious. Surely they realize that it's not only criminals that get caught in such campaigns. You know ... the baby with the bathwater.

I've said it before but I think it's a variation of the  STOCKHOLM SYNDROME when expats cheer on crackdowns against their own kind. 

First they came for the singlet wearers, but I didn't care.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Next might be YOU! 

What?

You say you're a "good" expat!

Ha ha! 

After living here for 18 months and getting out a lot I am surprised somewhat by a few things:

How many criminals/ex-cons there are here.

How many overstayers there are here.

How many of them actually admit it with a follow-up of" I need to stay off the radar".

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Here we have another member of the "if you don't like it go home" brigade spouting the usual rubbish.

Talk about missing the point which was that Thailand isn't going to miss chancers who can't meet easy-to-satisfy financial requirements for long term visa.

This was in response to his assertion that the Thais are "f***ing themselves over" by conducting deep investigations in to applications for long term visa extensions.

He was basically saying that the country would suffer because a few farangs might be told to sod off.

I disagreed

19 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

The cost of the visa is supposed to be 1,999 baht for single entry, 5,000 baht for multiple.
What various services charge is up to them, but still waiting to hear how any IO officer can charge more than the price quoted in the Royal Thai Embassy and Consulate websites.
I just this morning returned from Savannakhet Laos with a one year multiple entry "non "O"" visa in my passport, issued by The Royal Thai Consulate there, for 5,000 baht. No more, no less.

this is a retirement visa, without leaving the country and without money in the bank........don't be confused with a simple non-o 

Archived