Seven Bombs Go Off In Bangkok - New Year Countdown Cancelled

george

right now they show Live report on TV - ICU cars, police sirens..

2 boms gone off at the same time with fireworks after Countdown - nea to Pratunam pier (boat staion on canal) and on other side of road, next to WTC itself.

Thai TV say that somehow foreigners were not informed and many were still walking around ... that's a shame !

at least 6 foreigners are in coma...

there is new report that next to Gesorn Plaza 3rd was bomb

right now nearby here (Ratchadaphisek Rd) few cares with sirens passed by ...

they say on KSR, Buddy restaurant also had some bomb which was found by police in time....

Edited by aaaaaa

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amidst all this speculation - chaos in BKK, accusations, denials - it helps me to ask the central question: Cui bono?

Who benefits from this?

- The current regime - definitely not, it hurts them more than anyone. They need things to stay quiet and business to go on as usual.

- Toxins old crew - doesn't really help them because it gives the military govt an excuse to crack down on them... hard. So if they did it, they were very stupid.

- Crazed insurgents in the south - definitely. Helps the cause - keep in mind that the islamist fighters' goal is not more rights or a better life for their fellow muslims in the south but a grand muslim nation extending into Thailand.

It does help the military regime to blame this on the old powers but only in the very short term. They could really learn a lesson or two from how London managed this - not much talk but a lot of background work until all facts were there. I do hope that the military govt does not continue the tradition of toxin's men - blame it on the most convenient party. That just always backfires in the end...

Three more bombs explode at Central World, Pratunam, Khao Sarn Road

Three more bombs exploded in the heart of Bangkok once the new year started, severely injuring many foreign tourists.

The two bombs exploded nearly at the same time seconds after the new year started and another bomb exploded about half an hour after midnight.

The first bomb exploded at a public telephone booth at the pedestrian flyover linking Central World and Kesorn Plaza. Several foreigners were injured and rushed to hospitals.

The second bomb exploded at the Best Sea Foods restaurant on the Saen Saeb Canal near the Pratunam Pier.

Two foreigners and a Thai were injured. One of the foreigner had one leg amputated by the blast.

The third bomb exploded at the Buddy Bar on Khao Sarn Road.

Source: The Nation - 1 January 2007

Cash to be delivered to bomb blast victims

The Ministry of Interior has assigned the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department to assist victims of the multiple bombing in Bangkok.

Bandit Theweewarak (บัณฑิตย์ เทวีทิวารักษ์), director of the Interior Ministry's disaster mitigation works, said that the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has been assigned by the ministry to arrange for 15,000 baht of funeral money for each of the deceased victims.

If the victim was a head of a family then the funeral money would be 40,000 baht. Injured persons will be given 2,000 baht each whereas those who were severely injured will receive 3,000 baht each.

Should victims become disabled following the blast, will be eligible for life-sustaining salaries.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 January 2007

just now saw iTV report : farang with bleeding shoulder attended by medics, his TGF covering her face from camera.... guy appeared to be dizzy, they gave him ammiak to smell and then put him and his g/f into mini-van....

sh1t! NOT everybody stays in front if PCs or TVs , especialy farangs - many people are out there still not suspecting anything !

I think some measures must have been taken to warn foreigners. at least 1 guy in each place speaking on mike through loud-speakers or something. I mean - first bombs went off at what, 7pm? that is 5 hours prior to midnight - more than enough time to take measures and approprpiate arrangements to warn those who DON'T understand Thai language, even if they might happen to watch Thai TV....

Edited by aaaaaa

Cash to be delivered to bomb blast victims

The Ministry of Interior has assigned the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department to assist victims of the multiple bombing in Bangkok.

Bandit Theweewarak (บัณฑิตย์ เทวีทิวารักษ์), director of the Interior Ministry's disaster mitigation works, said that the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has been assigned by the ministry to arrange for 15,000 baht of funeral money for each of the deceased victims.

If the victim was a head of a family then the funeral money would be 40,000 baht. Injured persons will be given 2,000 baht each whereas those who were severely injured will receive 3,000 baht each.

Should victims become disabled following the blast, will be eligible for life-sustaining salaries.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 January 2007

w t f is 15k gonna do for a falangs family ? pleaes!

22 blasts were predicted - so only half way so far....

go home now, if your out in bkk,

that's the whole point: those who are out, they can't possibly read this your messages addressed to them and neither this thread.

on TV they show reports saying that many foreigners are still arriving to the WTC area as nothing has happened or as if they didn't know. that means they realy DON'T know anything !

some SMS messages must have been sent to those who have local cell phones, or as I siad - may be place some guy with mike on each and every crowded area who'd constantly give anouncements in several languages...

So the thing we had hoped would never happend just did...bombs reached KSR with multiple seriously wounded tourists.

And the time-difference of 5+ hours between the bomb-waves means thay are guaranteed to have two complete sets of news-articles reporting the events, to maximise the negative tourist impression.

"They say on KSR, Buddy restaurant also had some bomb which was found by police in time...."

I just spoke to one of the Buddy executives - there was certainly no explosion on KSR and he didn't know anything about the police finding a bomb. However, more might come to light. All the events on KSR were have been canceled until January.

John@KSR

I Don't live in Bangkok I',m 360 km's away,!!! - however all I can do is repeat this so people who are in BKK can get the message out to others.

I have sent SMS's and called friends --- Do the same.

Since I posted my original messasge there has been another bomb --- just act ...

22 blasts were predicted - so only half way so far....

go home now, if your out in bkk,

that's the whole point: those who are out, they can't possibly read this your messages addressed to them and neither this thread.

on TV they show reports saying that many foreigners are still arriving to the WTC area as nothing has happened or as if they didn't know. that means they realy DON'T know anything !

some SMS messages must have been sent to those who have local cell phones, or as I siad - may be place some guy with mike on each and every crowded area who'd constantly give anouncements in several languages...

A dark dark dark day for Thailand, the government should have delt with this all 2 years ago, but they just left it to brew.

:D

Not so, if you only knew the facts.

Foriegn intelligence has been feeding intel updates to Thailand for at least 2 years or more. But what do you do, tell the Thais to cancel all tourisim in Thailand? It's just not possible.

The other thing you'll never know is the intel warnings that stopped terrorist attacks before they happened.

Don't assume that what you don't hear about was ignored or wasn't happening.

I won't repeat any rumors because that is counter-productive.

Just remember that to many fundalmentalist Muslims, the Bars, Alchohol, and such are abominations.

They truely believe that to destroy that sort of thing is a cleansing of sin, and a religious duty.

You and I may not agree, but they have their own opinions.

And this is the Eid-al-Fathar feast, one of the holiest periods in the Muslim religious calender.

:o

I have just been reading some of the world press opinion on what's been happening with the bombs.

So let me say I have seen opinions that Muslim fundamentalists are NOT INVOLVED in these events.

We shall see what we shall see.

But just to be clear let me say I have NO INFORMATION that can support that any muslim fundamentalists are actually involved.

Sometimes fools rush in where angels fear to tread, and I may have been acting like a fool.

And for any Muslims on this forum, I amd NOT anti-muslim. I spent several years in the middle east and have a great respect for the majority of Muslims who follow what is a compassionate and uplifting religion.

Secondly, I was wrong on the feast name. This is Eid al-Adha, the feast after the Haj period. It is a period of celebration for muslims who have completed the Haj.

Anyhow, I wanted to set it straight.

Amidst all this speculation - chaos in BKK, accusations, denials - it helps me to ask the central question: Cui bono?

Who benefits from this?

- The current regime - definitely not, it hurts them more than anyone. They need things to stay quiet and business to go on as usual.

- Toxins old crew - doesn't really help them because it gives the military govt an excuse to crack down on them... hard. So if they did it, they were very stupid.

- Crazed insurgents in the south - definitely. Helps the cause - keep in mind that the islamist fighters' goal is not more rights or a better life for their fellow muslims in the south but a grand muslim nation extending into Thailand.

It does help the military regime to blame this on the old powers but only in the very short term. They could really learn a lesson or two from how London managed this - not much talk but a lot of background work until all facts were there. I do hope that the military govt does not continue the tradition of toxin's men - blame it on the most convenient party. That just always backfires in the end...

On the mark.

It may be blamed on their favorite political enemy but will we find out who really is behind it if the insurgency is the source? We can only hope they do an honest and thourough job of investigating the crimes. With at least nine crime scenes now you would think they could find forensic evidence if they really wanted.

Suggesting it is the old guard so early in the case would lead one ot believe the politicians are already getting their story ready?

~WISteve

I Don't live in Bangkok I',m 360 km's away,!!! - however all I can do is repeat this so people who are in BKK can get the message out to others.

I have sent SMS's and called friends --- Do the same.

Since I posted my original messasge there has been another bomb --- just act ...

nope, mate - I wasn't blaming you or anyone posting here. those measures must have been taken by authorities.......

now they Update about Suan Lum.... people are urged to disperse and leave it...

some big Police guy gives interview saying that they've got a tip that some bomb was planted somewhere in or around Nana Square (Plaza?)

2 farangs from England, 2 from Serbia, 1 American are mentioned among those injured at WTC

Khun Chuvit was shown among policemen as if participating in whatever their work - shouting something to people, even giveing some interview. Chuvit is everywhere !

Edited by aaaaaa

Old power clique suspected of being behind Bangkok bomb attacks: source

A security source at the Government House said the old power clique was behind the simultaneous bomb attacks in Bangkok.

The source from an intelligence agency said the intelligence agencies had learnt about the plan of the old clique to create disturbance toward the year end.

The source said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont was on the standby in Bangkok because he expected the attacks.

The Nation

post-27080-1167588334_thumb.jpg

1. Old power ( Thaksin supporters ) :o

or

2. Southern separatists :D

At the Klong Toei area near the Na Ranong intersection

post-27080-1167586877_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587757_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167586960_thumb.jpg

At the Victory Monument

post-27080-1167587128_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587230_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587454_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587996_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587502_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587554_thumb.jpg

the Khae Rai intersection in Nonthaburi province

post-27080-1167587945_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167590201_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1167587870_thumb.jpg

Edited by asd

very sad and shocking news tonight.

i find it surprising that after months of bombings in the south and the threat and expectation of bombs in bangkok , there has been no public awareness campaign in bangkok to inform the public to be on guard and to look out for people leaving packages around etc., and unbelievable and negligent that even after the first wave of bombings mass gatherings and celebrations were still allowed to go ahead .

they can put 1,000,000 police on the streets , but it will be the awareness and vigilance of the public (and there are enough of them around on the streets of bangkok) that will prevent and discover the placement of these devices.

just watching tv ....... bomb scare at nana plaza.

thailand is in for a very bumpy ride in 2007.

The policeman clearly said Nana Square, which is the new complex on the corner of Nana and Sukhumvit where Starbucks is (across from the PTT gas station).

Strange though, because that complex should normally be closed. If it was indeed Nana Plaza and the policeman had a slip of the tongue, I would be really worried because undoubtedly Nana Plaza is packed.

There was no immediate word on the bombers' identities or possible motive, but Government Spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp told a news conference that the incidents were apparently the work of ill-intentioned people who wished to create disturbances in the country

A regular Sherlock Holmes...