Most people not aware what Prayut govt has done: poll

rooster59

12 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Could it be that so many (so-called) human beings don't have enough brains to fill a thimble ?

Talk with expats all over the world, Ivor, from whatever country they're from, and you'll find out that 90% of them are constantly criticizing the country they live in, without the least interest for objectivity. It's a stereotyped behavior.

Just on South Asia, read Burmese Days by Orwell, read A long Day Wanes by Anthony Burgess, read Somerset Maugham's short stories ... all of them nailed and described this behavior in detail. It's sometimes comical, sometimes tragic, but mostly ... it's pathetic.

Interesting. I know why I think what I think, but I was interested in your take on it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Er... ahem... have they done anything?

Quite obvious you belong to the group not mentioned in the poll results.

The group not interested in anything the government does and did, because it has come into power through a coup.

The thing is, more has been done after the coup, as in the years before when Thailand had a "democratically elected" parliament and the formed government.

I am not really a fan of military induced coups, but I do raise the question what the alternative would have been.

10 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Quite obvious you belong to the group not mentioned in the poll results.

The group not interested in anything the government does and did, because it has come into power through a coup.

The thing is, more has been done after the coup, as in the years before when Thailand had a "democratically elected" parliament and the formed government.

I am not really a fan of military induced coups, but I do raise the question what the alternative would have been.

"The thing is, more has been done after the coup"

Really? What?

27 minutes ago, MorristheRunt said:

Go and tell that to the poor Thai people.......The poor have been utterly and totally hammered over the last 3 years.

Agreed, I have seen nothing but more hardship for the poor where I live. I don't know what these poor workers will do if and when they enforce the no riders in pickup truck law here.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

They still preside over a very corrupt police force who prey mostly on working class drivers and motorbike riders to fill there corrupt pockets, and

refuse to enforce the laws therefore leading to dreadful road fatalities. That about sums up the "good" job they are doing.

I think that the "corrupt" police may earn more funds from larger prey than the motoring public, a lot more! 

Also our new government may be directing the Judicial operation, where I think before the judges etc answered to no one. (just saying maybe!)

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I find it incredible how ignorant and out of touch some expats are that they cannot grasp these simple concepts. 

It is as if they have absolutely no grasp of the culture, politics and behaviour of the people in the country they live in. 

Quite incredible.

Bless them Father, for they have sinned...

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The people are completely disenfranchised with the government. They have no say, so why should they care.

Exactly! They don't have a choice, so events (accomplishments, as they like to call them) are merely news.

8 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

All that talk and nobody listened!

They achieved a lot ! closed bars , karaoke , no more pelvic thrusts from young country singer allowed " pm unelected is a poet encouraging we are all one nation " putting a stop to selling bbq thai food street vendors bkk is famous for , no stalls on foot path at night soi 4 side sukhumvit side selling clothes " only motor bikes can use the footpath , beep u to clear out of the way if walking, cross over to soi 3 side do what u like no thais own any of the night stalls , mbk no thais own the stalls . Great job putting thais out of work " people r losing their heads in pattaya  , stopped multi entry visas,

death island Going great to encourage tourism , jaunta r not going anywhere wowww how lucky thais are to have them take power , look what they have achieved 0000000

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I find it incredible how ignorant and out of touch some expats are that they cannot grasp these simple concepts. 

It is as if they have absolutely no grasp of the culture, politics and behaviour of the people in the country they live in. 

Quite incredible.

What I find amusing is the number who think they do know what's going on in the back rooms.  

The one thing I learned about Asian politics in 10 years in China and 6 in Thailand is that whenever I think I know what happened and who the good guys are, it just means that one of their spin doctors has done their job.   My perception may be right, or the coin may end up on tails.  The odds are about the same.

Their politics (like their business) is played on a level that those of us from the "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" part of the world cannot even follow.  And they're groomed into it from birth.

Tzun Tzu's Art of War is a great read if anyone wants to know how complicated it gets.  Lies, deceit, back stabbing, "fluid" allegiances, and on and on.  I still didn't understand it.  But at least I realized that I don't understand it.  Never will, because I wasn't brought up in it.

Edit:  And education by wife doesn't cut it...

Edited by impulse

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

It is a blessing that the Junta are in charge and Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in the top job. He has worked hard, however some farang just want to throw mud at any news article whether it's a new project being planned or anything to do with his work.

Who kept the media and thai's continuously informed with running TV broadcasts every friday night then daily in some cases.

Who represented Thailand at the UN General assembly and spoke in front of the US president and officials. Do you really think his predecessors were even near professional enough to do what he did ... ?

Who managed to get the China-Thai high speed rail project up and running with 80% going to Thai contractors.

Who cleaned up areas of Sukhumvit which were once plagued by street carts and almost impassable to pedestrians.

Who is looking to implement road safety rules with the banning of persons riding in the back of pickups.

Who is chasing previously convicted criminals to recover millions or billions of baht taken from the thai economy and taxes not paid.

Who is keeping the country running so it is not plagued with lawlessness, protests that block the streets and affect everyday thai's just wanting to go about their business. Who is chasing those suspected of fraudulent rice schemes that cost Thailand billions of baht which can never be recovered because of prices promised and never delivered.

I could go on with more .....   there are dozens upon dozens of activities that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has achieved or is pushing to achieve.

But some farang are never happy with the way things are no matter how hard the government works they will always whinge. This shows one's lack of understanding Thai politics and the reason someone such as the Junta and Khun Prayuth has to be in charge to control the troublemakers.

Those whingers and whiners wouldn't even hold a candle to the General. They wouldn't know the first thing about his job.

I think the current government is doing a good job. It is certainly much better than his predecessors. As such one can only hope that the Junta stay in control for as long as possible and hopefully at least 10yrs or longer.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha :wai:

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ pics of Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

Funny that you begin by praising the junta's propaganda program and end by white-washing repression. 

5 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know where you live, but in Asoke where I live and work, the place was a powderkeg before the coup.  Sukhumvit shut down and people camping on the road, Lumpini Park was pretty much an armed camp, hundreds of self appointed bands of thugs providing "security" for their camps, ping pong (and bigger) bombs going off pretty much daily.

My employer had rented a couple of floors of a hotel in Hua Hin for a bug-out location, with a lot of the local Thai's choosing to office there instead of Asoke- for their safety.

A few days after the coup, it was all back to normal.  Though I wish they had kept Sukhumvit as a walking mall.

So I'm with Steven.  Thailand's problems are decades, even centuries in the making, and aren't going to be solved with one peaceful coup.  (A Lenin style coup where their goal is to get rid of about 10% of the population would work, but who's in favor of that?)  Anyone who thinks he can solve the big problems in a few years is underestimating the complexity of Thai politics and the power of money.  Any leader here is surrounded by nefarious actors being paid to report everything that goes on, along with others who will gladly take him out on the orders of the rich and powerful.

All in all, things are a lot better than they were under the illusion of democracy where the people could only vote for the public faces of the Elite, who call all the shots anyway under their silver or lead incentive program.  That's kleptocracy, not democracy.

Did you really post "one peaceful coup"?  You don't know Thailand very well, do you?

Outside of Bangkok the protests didn't start until after the coup, however the military crushed them quickly and censorship ensured they were largely unreported.

Like the majority of Bangkok residents, you don't care that the majority of Thais want democracy, and that only privileged malcontents in Bangkok object to it.  You happily side with them; if military rule keeps Bangkok safe and keeps all of Thailand's wealth and power safely in Bangkok, then you'll support military rule and say insist Bangkok Thailand isn't ready for democracy.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

You do understand there's a a difference between praising someone and conceding that they have done some good, right?

And that Einstein's definition of insanity can be applied to entire societies when they have election after election, yet the trough is still packed with leeches- just with different faces. And just like the nasty leeches found in fetid water, too many of them sucking blood out of the host can kill the host.  That's about as good an analogy as any for what's happened to Thailand.  

Thailand needs someone to control access to the trough so there's enough left over after the leeching to actually grow the economy.  Decades of elections seem unable to instill any control.

I assume you would also agree that coup after coup is also insane.

There is a variation on that election thing that works very well in other societies, but has been barely tested in Thailand--let the elected people and parties finish their term in office.  To date only one elected PM in Thailand has been allowed to finish his term in office.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the referendum was an amazing accomplishment. even my girl (from esan of course) voted for it. i wonder how many thais know what they voted for when they passed it.

Well, you have to understand these people have swallowed the propaganda hook line and sinker for decades. Why would they get a sudden attack of the smarts? The culture was carefully designed and built precisely in order for them to be and stay compliant.

In general, smart isn't what Thais do. 

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

well if you don't like it here so much why not move and stop whinging....  lol

I was with you until you posted this. I'm hoping the "lol" at the end makes it tongue-in-cheek ... ?!

(Still a strong advocate for an instant TV ban for anyone that writes "if you don't like it leave" or words to that effect).

Just now, eeyang wah said:

I was with you until you posted this. I'm hoping the "lol" at the end makes it tongue-in-cheek ... ?!

(Still a strong advocate for an instant TV ban for anyone that writes "if you don't like it leave" or words to that effect).

TV has other things on it's mind right now. Staff and management both.

43 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the referendum was an amazing accomplishment. even my girl (from esan of course) voted for it. i wonder how many thais know what they voted for when they passed it.

The sham referendum on over 100 pages of Thai legalese in which the only information available was government propaganda?  I don't know, how many Thai's do you think knew what was in it?

It doesn't matter, as soon as the referendum was "approved" the junta set about making more changes.  So long as the Thai military remains above the law, all constitutions are written in pencil.

Edited by heybruce

But some farang are never happy with the way things are no matter how hard the government works they will always whinge. This shows one's lack of understanding Thai politics and the reason someone such as the Junta and Khun Prayuth has to be in charge to control the troublemakers.

Those whingers and whiners wouldn't even hold a candle to the General. They wouldn't know the first thing about his job.

I think the current government is doing a good job. It is certainly much better than his predecessors. As such one can only hope that the Junta stay in control for as long as possible and hopefully at least 10yrs or longer.

Saccharine and rose-coloured glases together.   ... Nauseous,  ...makes me want to ,..  bleaaagh!  Whree's the bucket? Is Steven fixated on Shirley Temple?

1 minute ago, sandemara said:

Saccharine and rose-coloured glases together.   ... Nauseous,  ...makes me want to ,..  bleaaagh!  Whree's the bucket? Is Steven fixated on Shirley Temple?

It's in the nature of propaganda that no matter how outrageous, there's always someone who'll believe it. Someone whose emotional states are so parlous they will want to believe it. That's what the propagandisers depend on.

Who kept the media and thai's continuously informed with running TV broadcasts every friday night then daily in some cases.

Who represented Thailand at the UN General assembly and spoke in front of the US president and officials. Do you really think his predecessors were even near professional enough to do what he did ... ?

Who managed to get the China-Thai high speed rail project up and running with 80% going to Thai contractors.

Who cleaned up areas of Sukhumvit which were once plagued by street carts and almost impassable to pedestrians.

Who is looking to implement road safety rules with the banning of persons riding in the back of pickups.

Who is chasing previously convicted criminals to recover millions or billions of baht taken from the thai economy and taxes not paid.

Who is keeping the country running so it is not plagued with lawlessness, protests that block the streets and affect everyday thai's just wanting to go about their business. Who is chasing those suspected of fraudulent rice schemes that cost Thailand billions of baht which can never be recovered because of prices promised and never delivered.

Terrible poem. Doesn't even rhyme... 

11 hours ago, Thechook said:

Don't know, last time I saw him he was being dragged off by the military for a chat, nobody has seen him since.

He's ok, seen him with 12 Uni students,  on the Nan River bank...............................:cheesy:

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

It is a blessing that the Junta are in charge and Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in the top job. He has worked hard, however some farang just want to throw mud at any news article whether it's a new project being planned or anything to do with his work.

I could go on with more .....   there are dozens upon dozens of activities that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has achieved or is pushing to achieve.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha :wai:

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ pics of Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

Some people, whether farang or Thai, think that Prayuth is the 'troublemaker'.  He suppresses freedom of speech, detains and imprisons those that challenge his illegal authority, etc.  Some may argue he is doing the country some good, however his approach to solving problems was wrong.  Nobody should be praised for illegally taking over the government that was elected by the people.  Prayuth should have hung up his gun, and run for PM at the next general election just like anyone else... and let the people decide.  Instead, he resorted to military coup to put himself into office as a dictator.  How you can praise such a person is beyond my comprehension?  Perhaps you do so because he is scratching your back (or bottom side)?

12 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Done a great job on roads, up my way,

havent fixed mine in over 2  years, done it myself TWICE now, last effort took 2  of  us 5  days to fix  it

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The people are completely disenfranchised with the government. They have no say, so why should they care.

Not supporting or decrying  the current government, but I would say that the majority have never had any say, so why should they care now as before. 

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

I assume you would also agree that coup after coup is also insane.

There is a variation on that election thing that works very well in other societies, but has been barely tested in Thailand--let the elected people and parties finish their term in office.  To date only one elected PM in Thailand has been allowed to finish his term in office.

Have you ever considered why the majority have have been booted early, and don't fly the old chestnut that the military wanted the power - the military have all the power they ever need irrespective of who's supposedly running the show, therefore there must be another reason - like the encumbent government are screwing up. 

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

Some people, whether farang or Thai, think that Prayuth is the 'troublemaker'.  He suppresses freedom of speech, detains and imprisons those that challenge his illegal authority, etc.  Some may argue he is doing the country some good, however his approach to solving problems was wrong.  Nobody should be praised for illegally taking over the government that was elected by the people.  Prayuth should have hung up his gun, and run for PM at the next general election just like anyone else... and let the people decide.  Instead, he resorted to military coup to put himself into office as a dictator.  How you can praise such a person is beyond my comprehension?  Perhaps you do so because he is scratching your back (or bottom side)?

"Prayuth should have hung up his gun, and run for PM at the next general election just like anyone else... and let the people decide."

Exactly. And why did he not? Because he would never have won and he/they knew that. It should all have stopped right there. Simple as that.  Everything the Prayuth supporters say is nullified by that one fact. End of argument really, there is nothing else to say..

Edited by Ivor Edwards