Shocking BP yesterday- better today. Where am I?

mommysboy

At hospital yesterday, before I had an achilles checked out, I experienced an awful BP reading -190/95.  I think it's partly explained by white coat syndrome.  But my readings have been creeping up over the last few years.

The doctor just advised me to come back in a few days for a retest.  A second reading fell to 170, and then with a trial of a home BP monitor down to 155.

Today I have taken 2 readings .  Morning 128/88

Afternoon 134/88

Heart rate generally- 45 sleeping, 55 sitting relaxed watching tv, 63 busy doing nothing.

For a 56 year old man I thought this is ok.  But I know others will say it is high.  But I thought BP naturally rose with age!

Should I be aiming for 120/80 or even less.

There are a number of factors I could change as basically I vape (nicotine), and eat high salt food. I drink at least 10 cups of tea a day and sometimes a couple of cups of coffee  My diet is truly crap at the moment.  And so is my sleep pattern.

As an ex-smoker for many decades I must have hardened arteries to some extent.  I am slim, athletic and love jogging/walking.

Edited by mommysboy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear to be mostly white coat to me as you seem to have delayed that doctor visit for a long time so suspect you were very nervous about it.  The fact it quickly came down and appears almost normal at home would be a good sign.  Obviously the drug and tea are probably not helping so that might be something to work on lowering and keep up the monitoring so you can report a true BP pattern on your next visit.

As above, I think we can disregard the readings in the hospital.

Your at home readings are consistent with "pre-hypertension". Reducing the caffeine and salt, and cutting out the nicotine, would all likely help.

The best advice you could listen to is to support Brexit and not be a remainer. That will bring down your blood pressure.

Joking aside. As you know, we have a few med issues in common.

Listen to Sheryl and cut back on the caffeine, salt and sugar. 

After a life time of heavy exercise being replaced by high living and "good" food, I put on a lot of weight and my BP went up to 150/95 as an average. I am about to have a hip replacement and the doctor suggested I loose weight to help. Simply by cutting back on sugar, salt, chocolate and processed foods and a calorie controlled diet (1800 calorie intake), I have lost 15 Kg in 2 months (target another 10 Kgs in the next 3 months) and my BP is a steady 125/80.

It makes you sit up and think when just eating sensibly can reduce both weight and BP. Yes I miss my chocolate and my take away's but I feel better for it.

Start thinking sensible eating while you still can.

Edited by Flustered

10 hours ago, Flustered said:

The best advice you could listen to is to support Brexit and not be a remainer. That will bring down your blood pressure.

Joking aside. As you know, we have a few med issues in common.

After a life time of heavy exercise being replaced by high living and "good" food, I put on a lot of weight and my BP went up to 150/95 as an average. I am about to have a hip replacement and the doctor suggested I loose weight to help. Simply by cutting back on sugar, salt, chocolate and processed foods and a calorie controlled diet (1800 calorie intake), I have lost 15 Kg in 2 months (target another 10 Kgs in the next 3 months) and my BP is a steady 125/80.

It makes you sit up and think when just eating sensibly can reduce both weight and BP. Yes I miss my chocolate and my take away's but I feel better for it.

Thankfully I checked out at 124/78 this morning.

The difference has possibly been giving up vaping, which introduces a large amount of nicotine in to the body all day.

I thought I'd concentrate on one issue at a time, so I can possibly get an angle at what does and doesn't effect me.

That's a great achievement- 15kg is a lot to lose.  Good stuff.

the past 3times i have had my BP taken at the outpatients in the hospital [arm in the cuff] its gone off the map.

3times in the hospital [8days stay in total its been perfect.

i have since bought an OMRON HEM-7130 AND DO MY TESTING AT HOME.

i do have history,double by-pass surgery and a heart valve replacement.

i to had to loose a lot of weight,the usual stuff,but most of all was to stop eating meals after 5pm.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

most of all was to stop eating meals after 5pm.

Interesting and this helped with weight loss, I know I eat too much in the evening, and also maybe too muck Sangsom and water

Many of us have blood pressure readings that out of our normal range

Thats why i like my one at home, and is good for watching the trend

On one hospital in khonkaen the testing machine is at the top of the mandatory stairs, and of course blood pressure will be up, maybe they are short of business

Generally sit down relax Breath deeply, keep breathing deeply and in 5/10 mins back down

All I can say, I got high readings in hospitals. Then i went several time during a week to different small clinics. BP was always fine. Sometime they charge 20 baht, some are free.

16 hours ago, Flustered said:

Wish it was that easy. I have more or less given up sugar and added salt, don't eat much, but unable to lose weight.

Unfortunately, losing weight is probably the most important thing to do, but sometimes the cure is worse than dying a couple of years before we would have if giving everything enjoyable up.

Re the OP's BP, I had shocking white coat syndrome for years, till I really did get ^ BP. What does work is breathing deeply for a while before taking BP.

As I understand it the diastolic is more important than the Systolic ( I'm usually over 150, but I'd be worried at a 95 diastolic ) and we used to go by the rule for systolic- 100 plus age. Might not be the in thing anymore, but what is in now will be out soon and then back in later.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wish it was that easy. I have more or less given up sugar and added salt, don't eat much, but unable to lose weight.

Unfortunately, losing weight is probably the most important thing to do, but sometimes the cure is worse than dying a couple of years before we would have if giving everything enjoyable up.

Re the OP's BP, I had shocking white coat syndrome for years, till I really did get ^ BP. What does work is breathing deeply for a while before taking BP.

As I understand it the diastolic is more important than the Systolic ( I'm usually over 150, but I'd be worried at a 95 diastolic ) and we used to go by the rule for systolic- 100 plus age. Might not be the in thing anymore, but what is in now will be out soon and then back in later.

Losing weight actually is easy. You have to look a it logically and your BP will come down with it.

It's all about calories in vs calories out. I used to think I did not each much until I found out how many calories were in what I ate. My "reasonable" amount of food was in fact over 2,500 calories a day. You would not believe how many calories are in a simple single biscuit. A chocolate hob nob is 100 calories, a small bar of chocolate over 600 calories. The calories add up at an incredible rate.

I did not want to stop eating nice healthy food (nothing processed) so I look at 400 calories for breakfast (2 slices granary bread, 2 rashers bacon, 1 egg and a mug of tea 1 sugar), 300 calories for lunch (apple or other fruit, 1 slice granary bread with pilchard or baked beans and glass of juice) and finally 800 calories for dinner (meat, veg etc plus juice or cup of tea)....Total 1,500 calories. I am experimenting  replacing sugar with honey. Also walk 2 miles each day (hurts like hell with my gammy hip).

Result is guaranteed weight loss while still enjoying food. 15 Kg in 2 months and should make another 10 in the next 3 months. Yes I feel tired but very happy with the loss. Once I reach 80 kilos I can up my calorie intake to 2,200 and see if my weight steadies and my tiredness goes away..a new hip will help with the walking.

Added benefit is 4 inches of waist and my old clothes now fit me so no having to buy new ones.

Honestly, once you loose the first 5 Kg or so you really get some self control and stop eating junk food.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you will have to mini fast.  For instance you may want to skip a meal before you go to sleep, or miss breakfast when you get up.  In this way, you get a good burn going.

Yes it used to be taught that normal blood pressure is 100 plus age.  But it was argued that normal did not mean healthy.  However to then set it at 120/80 is arguably wrong, because BP rises steadily with age, and not as a disease process.  I think 140/90 would  be ok at 60- just plucking figures though.

I heard that systolic pressure correlates with risk of heart attack and stroke.

48 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Losing weight actually is easy. You have to look a it logically and your BP will come down with it.

It's all about calories in vs calories out. I used to think I did not each much until I found out how many calories were in what I ate. My "reasonable" amount of food was in fact over 2,500 calories a day. You would not believe how many calories are in a simple single biscuit. A chocolate hob nob is 100 calories, a small bar of chocolate over 600 calories. The calories add up at an incredible rate.

I did not want to stop eating nice healthy food (nothing processed) so I look at 400 calories for breakfast (2 slices granary bread, 2 rashers bacon, 1 egg and a mug of tea 1 sugar), 300 calories for lunch (apple or other fruit, 1 slice granary bread with pilchard or baked beans and glass of juice) and finally 800 calories for dinner (meat, veg etc plus juice or cup of tea)....Total 1,500 calories. I am experimenting  replacing sugar with honey. Also walk 2 miles each day (hurts like hell with my gammy hip).

Result is guaranteed weight loss while still enjoying food. 15 Kg in 2 months and should make another 10 in the next 3 months. Yes I feel tired but very happy with the loss. Once I reach 80 kilos I can up my calorie intake to 2,200 and see if my weight steadies and my tiredness goes away..a new hip will help with the walking.

Added benefit is 4 inches of waist and my old clothes now fit me so no having to buy new ones.

Honestly, once you loose the first 5 Kg or so you really get some self control and stop eating junk food.

Walking is great. Funnily enough, my hip is starting to play up.

Bacon and eggs- now were talking.  Sugar in tea though: sacrilege.

I have been ill with some kind of fever or tonsilitis.  Even then BP readings were optimal.

But I got up this morning feeling out of sorts- angsty.  That's important, because it's the feeling I get when I'm at hospital.  My reading came in at 140/82.

Once I'd settled down I took another reading at 128/88.

And then after a cup of tea and crossword- 120/74.

Mood seems to be a big factor for me.

Edited by mommysboy

I am very convinced peace tranquility, and happiness all seriously influence our health, coupled with a general state of being content

This does not mean I always practice this, I can be upset very easily and do not suffer fools gladly, especially when driving, but today the wife drives me quite a lot and i enjoy that apart from the odd prayer, and odd BE CAREFUL

I also try to stay positive

All this I believe is to a substantial extent reflected in our well being and blood pressure

In my humble opinion 140/82 is not extremely high , and if you over worry it may go the wrong way, and look it soon returned to normal

my blood pressure has been better and I am not doing it every day at the moment, a few months ago I was doing it three times a day

Keep smiling stay happy and mix with the positive people

Good luck Sir

An observation, and a couple of thoughts

Sometimes I miss the obvious

Stop doing your blood pressure when you get up

Do it later in the morning when you have got over the stress of waking, for me I do not function well in the first 30 mins plus, sometimes even talking is too much

We all know our BP is amiss some of the time, you just want to see most of the time it is Ok

On 13/07/2017 at 5:30 PM, al007 said:

An observation, and a couple of thoughts

Sometimes I miss the obvious

Stop doing your blood pressure when you get up

Do it later in the morning when you have got over the stress of waking, for me I do not function well in the first 30 mins plus, sometimes even talking is too much

We all know our BP is amiss some of the time, you just want to see most of the time it is Ok

Thanks.  I agree. I am slow out the blocks too.

And I generally agree with your philosophy.

I reckon its a useful little machine if used sensibly.

I'm interested to know what sort of body states produce what results.  And it is as the text books states for me: salt, caffeine, stress takes me away from optimal.  But I want to enjoy life.

Good to put it away for a few days too:smile:

Edited by mommysboy

On 10/07/2017 at 8:58 PM, Sheryl said:

As above, I think we can disregard the readings in the hospital.

Your at home readings are consistent with "pre-hypertension". Reducing the caffeine and salt, and cutting out the nicotine, would all likely help.

How would cutting out the nicotine help ? supposed to be harmless especially if vaped .

My bp levels today were   150/67 and pulse rate 64 . Why do you think the big number is high and the other 2 are low ?

25 minutes ago, superal said:

How would cutting out the nicotine help ? supposed to be harmless especially if vaped .

Nicotine is a powerful drug which directly affects the parasympathetic nervous system. It is not "harmless" regardless of how it is consumed. 

It is known to cause vasoconstriction which affects blood pressure. 

2 hours ago, superal said:

My bp levels today were   150/67 and pulse rate 64 . Why do you think the big number is high and the other 2 are low ?

Vaping is much safer in key aspects.

Nicotine has a susbstantial temporary effect on BP.  The trouble is that vaping isn't quite like a cigarette, because some of us end up doing it all day all the time, whereas with  cigarettes too many make you feel poisoned.  So BP ends up constantly high during waking hours with vapers. 

Interestingly smokers may well have lower BP than non-smokers for a long time, but this is because non smokers carry more weight.  Long term though the damage done by smoking has a terrible effect as we know.

I don't know why there is a big difference between your upper and lower readings- one suggests high blood pressure, the other low.

Your heart rate is normal.  There isn't necessarily a connection between that and the BP readings.

11 hours ago, perthperson said:

A very good idea. Worrying about the state of your BP can in fact contribute to it being raised. 

You've hit upon the nub of the matter for me. Yet I feel better also for addressing the issue.

2 hours ago, superal said:

"Why do you think the big number is high and the other 2 are low ?"

This seemed to be a credible explanation, but I can't say if it is right, so read with caution:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/pulse-pressure/faq-20058189

Edited by mommysboy

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

"Why do you think the big number is high and the other 2 are low ?"

This seemed to be a credible explanation, but I can't say if it is right, so read with caution:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/pulse-pressure/faq-20058189

Last bp I took was 138/70/61 . My Thai doctor is happy with my bp at around 140 and says it is normal but internet info says it is the first stage of hypertension . Reading the Mayo link you kindly gave seems to contradict other web clinic info on pulse rate or heart beats . Indeed 60bpm appears to be good for a man of my age i.e. 70 years old . However I will see my doctor tomorrow 

Know Your Numbers

This table shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.

In the age category closest to yours, read across to find your target heart rate. Heart rate during moderately intense activities is about 50-69% of your maximum heart rate, whereas heart rate during hard physical activity is about 70% to less than 90% of the maximum heart rate.

The figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
20 years 100-170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
30 years 95-162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
35 years 93-157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
40 years 90-153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
45 years 88-149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
50 years 85-145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
55 years 83-140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
60 years 80-136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
65 years 78-132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
70 years 75-128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Last bp I took was 138/70/61 . My Thai doctor is happy with my bp at around 140 and says it is normal but internet info says it is the first stage of hypertension . Reading the Mayo link you kindly gave seems to contradict other web clinic info on pulse rate or heart beats . Indeed 60bpm appears to be good for a man of my age i.e. 70 years old . However I will see my doctor tomorrow 

Know Your Numbers

This table shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.

In the age category closest to yours, read across to find your target heart rate. Heart rate during moderately intense activities is about 50-69% of your maximum heart rate, whereas heart rate during hard physical activity is about 70% to less than 90% of the maximum heart rate.

The figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
20 years 100-170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
30 years 95-162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
35 years 93-157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
40 years 90-153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
45 years 88-149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
50 years 85-145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
55 years 83-140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
60 years 80-136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
65 years 78-132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
70 years 75-128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

I'd say your doctor is right. That's a good set of figures.

Basically, it used to be 100 plus age.

In 2003 the guidelines changed to say 120-80 for all adults.  Anyone over that is classed as having pre-hypertension. 

Who am I to contradict I guess, but it does sound sort of unrealistic  for the average male over 50.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, al007 said:

I am very convinced peace tranquility, and happiness all seriously influence our health, coupled with a general state of being content

This does not mean I always practice this, I can be upset very easily and do not suffer fools gladly, especially when driving, but today the wife drives me quite a lot and i enjoy that apart from the odd prayer, and odd BE CAREFUL

I also try to stay positive

All this I believe is to a substantial extent reflected in our well being and blood pressure

I am convinced that my BP is ^ because of a lifetime of stress, rather than a disease process ( perhaps disease caused by stress ), but given the life I have had it would have been impossible to not be stressed, and I would not have wanted to change it for a few more years in a rest home ( a fate worse than death ).

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, Flustered said:

Starvation would also reduce weight quickly, but I wouldn't want to do that.

Good on you for sticking with it, but a world without the occasional treat would be IMO not worth living.

The best I can do is just not eat too much, but not worry about the calories or what i'm eating. I only eat twice a day, mainly drink 100% fruit juice ( yes I know it's got sugar in it ) as water is too boring, and try not to snack too much. I'm trying to not eat after 8pm, as I did most of my snacking after that time.

It's interesting though, that despite eating loads of sugar and cakes etc in the past, I wasn't any heavier than I am now having cut out most sugar and cakes etc. Sometimes we just can't win.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am convinced that my BP is ^ because of a lifetime of stress, rather than a disease process ( perhaps disease caused by stress ), but given the life I have had it would have been impossible to not be stressed, and I would not have wanted to change it for a few more years in a rest home ( a fate worse than death ).

Well said.  Theres a balance to be struck and a life to be lived. One can't really argue with the stats- anything above 120/80 is tending to the high side.  Optimal is around 110/70.  To get anywhere near that I'd probably have to give up everything that's nice, and double the exercise I already do.  And I'd probably need to take a sedative or something to curb stress, which seems a prime mover for me.

I have it in mind to see the doctor, as maybe some light medical intervention now will stave off high bp in my later years.

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well said.  Theres a balance to be struck and a life to be lived. One can't really argue with the stats- anything above 120/80 is tending to the high side.  Optimal is around 110/70.  To get anywhere near that I'd probably have to give up everything that's nice, and double the exercise I already do.  And I'd probably need to take a sedative or something to curb stress, which seems a prime mover for me.

I have it in mind to see the doctor, as maybe some light medical intervention now will stave off high bp in my later years.

Some observations, from a 72 plus year old in remission on colorectal cancer and prostate cancer, suffering  high blood pressure

I was accused today of making rude posts and having no respect for others, and off topic posting, elsewhere so please take my comments with health warning  !

I do my best to be compassionate and kind, and offer genuine good advice, and only share from my own experiences

I too have had a stressful life through my own fault to some extent, and not tolerating fools gladly, my blood pressure is also too high, and if I over worry about it even higher

I have lost about 15 kilos but seem to have reached a plateau, I have no intention or wish to stop eating, I leave that for the nutcases, I know it will work but am not ready to die

I try and do most things in moderation, I listen to the doctors and do my best to follow their advice but living is terminal and I am not just for today giving up alcohol, I am also not stopping eating

With great luck and Gods Blessing, I have so far avoided the surgeons knife, and if things change I may still say no

I have been very lucky and do not regret my lifestyle, today I am very happy

For me I accept living is terminal, and I hope I do not die in pain, in the last couple of hours my wfes mother died at 91, she did not want a doctor would not go to hospital and thank you God died without pain, over 24 hrs everything just closed down

Stay happy gentlemen, try and stay calm, listen to others but at the end of the day follow your own judgement, it has got you to today, and generally stood me in good stead

God Bless from whom I get unconditional love, ( and I have people complain that I say this ), only my personal view

I only eat twice a day, mainly drink 100% fruit juice ( yes I know it's got sugar in it ) as water is too boring, and try not to snack too much. ..

A good comprise is to drink water with a little fruit juice added to it. Jusy a splash, enough for flavor. You quickly get used to it and don't miss the pure juice...

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A good comprise is to drink water with a little fruit juice added to it. Jusy a splash, enough for flavor. You quickly get used to it and don't miss the pure juice...

Yes I buy at Macro lemon juice in the big bottles and use this to flavor up the water ( also Sangsom to flavor the water but not in the morning)

My doctors tell me not to drink, I listen and then I decide !

Probably full of E nos, and other nasty things, but it definitely scours the mouth out, also very economical, if I am very thirsty I add it to soda water and is more thirst quenching

Many years ago when working for a major pharmaceutical company, I had responsibility for Europe Middle East and Africa and travelled a lot I had to stay up to date on many vaccinations, the nurse and doctors used to say do not drink for a few days, I chose to ignore this good advice and survived !I said the alcohol killed the bugs especially in places like Nigeria

My grandfather drank a bottle of whisky  plus each day, probably never had his blood pressure taken, some, generally the negative ones, say the whisky killed him, I look at it differently and suggest maybe the Whisky kept him alive, he was 92 when he died !

When discussing my weight with my chemo man he said I was eating too much mango, I listened and reduced my mango consumption, but did not cut it out, I do chew on raw carrots, but still see no better in the dark !

Yes I have changed and modified my diet in the last year and do my best to eat healthily, and my blood pressure has improved, and I am down 15 kilos

Every little bit we do; can help, today I drink only about one bottle of beer a month, yes I still drink Sangsom and water, I used to drink 2/3 beers per day

Just for today still here alive and happy, maybe check my blood pressure today ! !! and minimise my stress levels

I like the Dalai Lama quote "Sleep is the best medication" and I believe this for blood pressure and many other things