Alien fish species pose a serious threat to native fish species

snoop1130

Alien fish species pose a serious threat to native fish species

fish1.jpg

People living along the klongs in Samut Songkhram as well as fish and shrimp farm operators have uged authorities concerned to come to their rescue against the proliferation of an invasive fish species thought to be brought into Thailand from an African country.

A team of Thai PBS reporters who have been following up this alien fish species for the past three weeks were told by klong-side residents all the klongs in Ampawa district such as Klong Don Chan, Klong Chek, Klong Somboon, Klong Tamon and Klong Phi Lok are choked with the alien fish species Cichlids, locally known as pla morsee khangdum, that the other native fish species appear to have disappeared.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/alien-fish-species-pose-serious-threat-native-fish-species/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-7-11

"..........choked with the alien fish species Cichlids, locally known as pla morsee khangdum, ............"

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Cichlids&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCqNvFi4HVAhVJuo8KHf_UDdgQ_AUICigB&biw=1352&bih=570

I'm surprised cichlids could survive in that filthy water.

fish2.jpg.92535606d92c29baec82b5b35b1d34ed.jpg

This fish, according to my wife, is sold at local markets and deep fried crisp..

Edited by ratcatcher
add pic.

All the rivers are full of tilapia already which is also an African cichlid. But some cichlids are very aggressive and I can see how the could be a problem. Too bad the reporter  didn't get the actual name of the fish. There are thousands of different cichlids.

As an Australian, I understand the problem. We have carp (on topic), pigs, rabbits, hares, foxes, goats, camels, prickly pear (really hard to understand), and now bloody muslims.

Edited by halloween

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

As an Australian, I understand the problem. We have carp (on topic), rabbits, hares, foxes, goats, camels, prickly pear (really hard to understand), and now bloody muslims.

As I understand it, carp, rabbits, hares, foxes, goats, camels and prickly pear were all introduced by foreigners years ago.

You can eat carp and prickly pear, I assume all others listed are regarded as pests down-under?

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

As I understand it, carp, rabbits, hares, foxes, goats, camels and prickly pear were all introduced by foreigners years ago.

You can eat carp and prickly pear, I assume all others listed are regarded as pests down-under?

You have very strange dietary habits!! Otherwise, yes.

Tilapia are actually also alien species but they have become accepted.
So I don't understand the fuzz.
You can eat this species as well.
If the population gets too much it should regulate by themselves.
Use net or electro fishing and​make fish meal from it.
How can they get into shrimp and fish farms?
It's a closed system, cleaned and emptied after each harvest.

48 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Can eat all except the fox and they taste pretty dam good too

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

All the rivers are full of tilapia already which is also an African cichlid. But some cichlids are very aggressive and I can see how the could be a problem. Too bad the reporter  didn't get the actual name of the fish. There are thousands of different cichlids.

Not a good photo to even identify it properly, maybe only a juvenile or a Xed species

And here was me thinking that the biggest threat to native fish populations were the natives..... having seen the "no catch and release" policy towards all swimming things, that seems the norm in Thailand

one inch wriggler.... no ploblems

thats what she said.... :sorry:

19 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

They look quite tasty ! Why doesn,t the population learn to eat them, followed by a nice portion of pigeon pie ? All problems solved, next please !

If it was Vietnam they would quickly eat these pesky things and the problem would be gone. Not so in Thailand where every problem is a full blown drama and everyone runs around in circles scratching their useless heads.

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

100% the comment I was about to make would have made you laugh. 100% the comment I didn't make was controversial. 100% the comment would have been deleted. 100% you just wasted your time reading this. I apologize for that

Never mind. Pour yourself another drink. Most of us understand what is happening within.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Can piranha's also survive in Thailand? I hope not.

Alas piranha's can live in any fresh water rivers and ponds. They attain good size but will eat almost anything in their vicinity. I have heard rumours that there are a few present in the old tin ponds on Phuket.

Same problem in the US.and Canada. Asian carp making their way up the US waterways and trying to get into the Great Lakes. Understand they are putting in some type of barrier to keep them out as they will endanger the the native fish. 

16 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Same problem in the US.and Canada. Asian carp making their way up the US waterways and trying to get into the Great Lakes. Understand they are putting in some type of barrier to keep them out as they will endanger the the native fish. 

They already caught one 50 miles from the barrier,s I would say they either put it in place too late or its letting them through,

they are very hard to control 

regards  Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

21 hours ago, fruitman said:

Can piranha's also survive in Thailand? I hope not.

They can survive in your bathtub for days, I used to keep a dozen in my in Panama to clean them out before putting on the BBQ  -  lots of bones but you can eat them as well...........

They can survive in your bathtub for days, I used to keep a dozen in my in Panama to clean them out before putting on the BBQ  -  lots of bones but you can eat them as well...........

Maybe a new business idea.
Raise them in tanks and sell as exotic fish BBQ

King Rama IX was instrumental in introducing the Nile Tilapia to Thailand decades ago - and now the fish is bred all over Thailand and is a major food source.http://m.thailandtoday.in.th/monarchy/elibrary/article/1000

The fish in the klongs may be Nile Tilapia but could also be another cichlid species as previously suggested.  Cichlid species are voracious feeders and they feed on fish fry, shrimp and larvae so they could easily affect stocks of native species.