Thailand forever wearing the dunce’s cap

webfact

7 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Good thing the author is unidentified.  Else, people wearing dunce's caps may come looking for him armed with a libel lawsuit.

You may well be right, but sometimes the truth hurts.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I remember a few years back watching a TV interview with the late Lee Kwan Yu (spelling?) where he was asked if he feared for Singapore's future in relation to its much bigger neighbours.

He smiled and said "what are their education systems like?"

That really said it all.

This is a simple equation; if you have a good education system, you will have a good future. If you don't, you won't.

What do you think Thailand's future is?

As LOS was raised on GREED and False Pride,it will continue do be of that kind of nation.The military and powers that be ,do understand that the education of its people is their biggest threat and therefore will not intervene in the corruptness in the lower schools as that also helps to keep them in power.

3 hours ago, loong said:

He said 

"where their GDP growth is now twice that of Thailand".

I have no idea whether that is accurate or not but  I wouldn't be surprised.

Just to clarify.

Thailand's GDP growth now is around 3.2% +/-. 

Vietnam's GDP growth is around 6% +/-.

From a report by the World Bank. 

Vietnam has enjoyed strong economic growth. Since 1990, Vietnam’s GDP per capita growth has been among the fastest in the world, averaging 6.4 percent a year in the 2000s. Despite uncertainties in the global environment, Vietnam’s economy remains resilient. The country’s medium-term outlook remains favourable, with GDP expanding by 6 percent in 2016, while the country’s fundamental drivers of growth – resilient domestic demand and export oriented manufacturing – remain in force

This is the sort of report Thailand should be aiming for but I suspect under a bumbling military government any improvement will more likely come from good luck rather than good judgement. The Thai military is more obsessed about making laws and rules to control it's people. In any case corruption has far too greater grip on the country. That's not to say Vietnam doesn't have any.

This article worth a read just see what effort will do for a country and for the sake of comparison.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/vietnam/overview

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I remember a few years back watching a TV interview with the late Lee Kwan Yu (spelling?) where he was asked if he feared for Singapore's future in relation to its much bigger neighbours.

He smiled and said "what are their education systems like?"

That really said it all.

This is a simple equation; if you have a good education system, you will have a good future. If you don't, you won't.

What do you think Thailand's future is?

The late Mr Lee was a crafty, scheming old fox. He had lots of knowledge of his neighbours. Knowledge is power. He put to work all his knowledge how could he fail?

Taking advantage of his neighbours' weak point was one of his best move, but he did them within the laws so you cannot shout foul play.

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Make 'em the right color, and they might make great emergency marker buoys...

and slap a fake DOT sticker on them and they are now safety approved motorcycle helmets. No more tickets.

5 hours ago, loong said:

He said 

"where their GDP growth is now twice that of Thailand".

I have no idea whether that is accurate or not but  I wouldn't be surprised.

The IMF website (economic outlook) provides historical data and forecast that confirms it.

Perhaps the ed. system is in its sorry current state because over the decades, it has become primarily concerned with propping up a rotting deep state rather than serving the public. Look at Egypt, for example. This seems to be the elephant in the room everyone is always dancing around whenever the topic comes up.

8 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I think it is you that must be high. Nice putdown try newbie but no cigar. My comment referred to GDP PERCENTAGE GROWTH. Not the GDP itself.

For your homework tonight try and be a good boy and find out what each of those means. In the meantime go to the back of the class and put on the dunces hat. 

I look forward to your future offerings with a high anticipation of amusement.

You got me there Cadbury. Sorry for saying you high as a kite. Accept apology from a humbled man. 

Just now, Machiavelli said:

You got me there Cadbury. Sorry for saying you high as a kite. Accept apology from a humbled man. 

Thank you. Please question rather than rushing in to drop insults on fellow contributors. I learned the hard way.

Deleted my comment after seeing the error about the GDP size and GDP growth was understood already. I posted before reading followup posts....

Edited by Sig
Can't delete it, so edited it out...

Ever thought that there is a rational reason why the country has kept it's citizens so much in the dark and uneducated? The answer is quite obvious .. CONTROL ! The economy relies on the vulnerable and the ignorant to slave away doing the jobs that the upper echelons refuse to do. The economy is finely balanced, heavily tipped on labour-intensive work, and of course educated citizens would not even entertain such menial work. If everyone was educated, where would it leave the country? Who would produce all the food, the valuable exports to prop up a country? Could there be an alternative solution? It's not easy to get the right balance, and Thailand doesn't have the ability to compete in other areas on the same level.