"Loveable" Western tourists get 70% discount for cleaning up the beach!

webfact

"Loveable" Western tourists get 70% discount for cleaning up the beach!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Siamstations

RANONG: -- A group of Western tourists in Ranong have been rewarded for clearing up a filthy beach in front of their resort.

The were given a 70% discount for their trouble.

Pictures of the group clearing up trash brought in by the monsoon appeared on popular fan page "Mem Pho Dam" along with comments from the resort that called the visitors "absolutely loveable".

Apparently the environment friendly tourists were getting up early every day to clear up the beach. They needed sacks because there was so much trash that had been tossed in the sea and washed up ashore.

The management were so happy they gave them 70% off, reported Siamstations.com.

The page elicited both praise from Thais for the tourists as well as for the resort for kindly giving them a discount for their efforts.

Source: Siamstations

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Here's an idea for the resort owners. Get someone to clean it up regularly and you won't have guests so disgusted with the place that they decide to start cleaning it on their holiday.

It's a menial task that thais don't want to do and with Prayuth's new laws and restriction on foreign labour, the Burmese, Cambodians and the like have left on mass so there is probably no one apart from paying tourists left to clean up the mess.

Gosh, I hope it wasn't up to70% off like the malls in Bangkok advertise.  'Cause it seems they're still charging double the average online price.

On a serious note, great to see a good deed, and I hope it catches on.  Kudos to the resort operators for rewarding them.  

And there's an ancient concept called "the task" where doing mind numbing work gives people an opportunity to reflect on their lives, their past, their future and their plans.  It's a liberating experience, but lots of people don't ever try it.  I've solved some big problems by freeing my brain from the everyday noise- while doing something of service to others.  I highly recommend it.

Sure, it's a menial task, but if they paid enough, I'm sure they'd have lots of Thai's clamoring for the jobs.  At $5-8 USD a day, not so many.  A person can make more than that selling just about anything on the street.

Edited by impulse

I was in Koh chang at the southern most beach over the water was a long peir,with many shops,i was appalled to see the Thai's had thrown all the foam lunch containers ,plastic bottles ect,into the water,when high tide came this then when wind and currents where right floated over to our beach over the bay,the place i stayed had two almost full time beach cleaaners who were Cambodian,i wonder if they are still there.There where bins on the peir too.

28 minutes ago, everett kendall said:

Did they have Work Permits?

Falang Volunteers after the tidal wave couldn' t help because they didnt hsve them.

The whole story is that falang volunteers after the tsunami showed up unannounced, in an area where pretty much every standing accommodation was already spoken for.  The government had no way of knowing who was a bona-fide rescue worker and who was a scavenger looking for goodies to loot, nor how they were going to get basic necessities in to feed the victims, never mind a bunch of newly minted foreign visitors.  

Anyone associated with an organization that could show 200,000 baht in assets in Thailand qualified for a temporary volunteer work permit.  IMO, any organization that didn't make advance arrangements with the government and have $6,000 registered in Thailand had no business showing up in a devastated area where they would need to be sheltered, fed and otherwise provided for.  

I applaud the volunteers' initiative, but I think the government did the right thing for 90+% of the volunteers, in light of conditions.  Sadly, I'm sure some of the guys who did show up could have helped save lives.  But I'm equally sure a lot of them would have been a net drain on the situation.  Lots of horror stories worldwide about NGO's taking up entire 5 star hotels, eating all the decent food, partying 20 hours a day and doing pretty much nothing beneficial.

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

The whole story is that falang volunteers after the tsunami showed up unannounced, in an area where pretty much every standing accommodation was already spoken for.  The government had no way of knowing who was a bona-fide rescue worker and who was a scavenger looking for goodies to loot, nor how they were going to get basic necessities in to feed the victims, never mind a bunch of newly minted foreign visitors.  

Anyone associated with an organization that could show 200,000 baht in assets in Thailand qualified for a temporary volunteer work permit.  IMO, any organization that didn't make advance arrangements with the government and have $6,000 registered in Thailand had no business showing up in a devastated area where they would need to be sheltered, fed and otherwise provided for.  

I applaud the volunteers' initiative, but I think the government did the right thing for 90+% of the volunteers, in light of conditions.  Sadly, I'm sure some of the guys who did show up could have helped save lives.  But I'm equally sure a lot of them would have been a net drain on the situation.  Lots of horror stories worldwide about NGO's taking up entire 5 star hotels, eating all the decent food, partying 20 hours a day and doing pretty much nothing beneficial.

Well mate you are right and mostly they are from UN based organizations. Big talks, parties and no work. 

1 minute ago, little mary sunshine said:

Sad when the Tourists and Guests have to

clean up the filth.  Where is the Resorts staff!

Someone's gotta post the pic's to the Thai social media.

I learned long ago in China that the locals love to watch foreigners doing manual labor.  Mostly because we do it so wrong...that we're fun to watch.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Why is it always tourists cleaning up Thailand?

Because thais love their country so much " they trash it " in other asian countries long before thailand boom start 80s, if you did not clean up beach every morning and night as you were packing your beach shop up + massage etc, and deck chairs umby's etc , you got a warning 3 rd time you lost your spot to whoever was next inplace " Bali kuta beach 70s.  

Edited by Mad mick
Spelling

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someone's gotta post the pic's to the Thai social media.

I learned long ago in China that the locals love to watch foreigners doing manual labor.  Mostly because we do it so wrong...that we're fun to watch.

"Mostly because we do it so wrong...that we're fun to watch."  (My italics). Doing it wrong or not, at least they are doing it!

The Thai government has a whole department full of people (sidelined for various reasons) who should be earning their keep by doing some real meaningful and contributory work! :whistling: No permits needed.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

NGO's, most of them anyway, are mostly wrongly motivated.

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

It is well documented that the government official held up aid trucks from entering Thailand immediately after the Tsunami and were demanding payments inorder to be allowed to enter the Kingdom. 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992052-loveable-western-tourists-get-70-discount-for-cleaning-up-the-beach/?utm_source=newsletter-20170712-1224&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

The immigration office informed us that the tourists in question had taxed for Tea Money for illegal work without work permit.

(30% of the price of the work permit)

12 minutes ago, Love66 said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992052-loveable-western-tourists-get-70-discount-for-cleaning-up-the-beach/?utm_source=newsletter-20170712-1224&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

The immigration office informed us that the tourists in question had taxed for Tea Money for illegal work without work permit.

(30% of the price of the work permit)

Maybe I am having a bad day but what does this mean?

28 minutes ago, DerekMarshall said:

It is well documented that the government official held up aid trucks from entering Thailand immediately after the Tsunami and were demanding payments inorder to be allowed to enter the Kingdom. 

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some of that going on, too.  Just like much needed buses and firetrucks.  Some things don't change just because there's a disaster. 

My point is that there were reasons beyond petulant work permit issues for not letting everyone claiming to be a volunteer into a hazardous and unsecured area right after a disaster wipes out the vast majority of the very infrastructure they'd be needing.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Why is it always tourists cleaning up Thailand?

because they are the only ones that seem to care.Thais are very adamant about their clean self's but are one of the most trashy people for any area outside of their own property.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's a menial task that thais don't want to do and with Prayuth's new laws and restriction on foreign labour, the Burmese, Cambodians and the like have left on mass so there is probably no one apart from paying tourists left to clean up the mess.

They have got work permits I suppose?:saai: