Flying Dublin to LGW - our experience

Over the past few months I have been arranging the various visas required for my Thai wife's trip abroad with me. 

We obtaimed our irish, uk family permit and schengen visa. 

Interestingly on our flight from Dublin to LGW there was no border controls - simply bussed from plane to luggage carousel and out the door. 

Somewhat surprised but oh well. 

Common travel area so no going through border control. I assume they keep an eye on the flights so immigration officers can process anyone should they choose.

The boarding staff at Dublin should have checked that paperwork was in order anyway.

Usually done by check-in staff or electronically if you use self-service. Nobody can fly without acceptable photo id, a passport is required for a non UK/Irish citizen. I suspect the authorities have all the information required from the airline and would intervene if they felt someone was dodgy!

There is no requirement for a passport for a British or Irish citizen but there is for anyone else. Monitoring of passengers may well be largely electronic nowadays! I assume that visas are monitored in the same way.

Everyone travelling between common travel area countries has to have photo id for security reasons (except over the land border).

Edited by bobrussell

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, bobrussell said:

Everyone travelling between common travel area countries has to have photo id for security reasons (except over the land border).

Whilst there are no longer any fixed border posts, the Immigration Gardaí do carry out random checks on people crossing by land from Northern Ireland; e.g. Irish police hold EU workers at Dundalk border.

The workers, seven Romanians and one Lithuanian, had no identification documents.

They were driven to Dundalk Garda (Police) station where they were held for several hours.

So even when entering the republic by land, one should have all the required paperwork!

UK Border Force do not currently carry out similar random checks; whether that will change post Brexit remains to be seen.