Thailand hotels

A1Str8

I travel a lot and stay at different hotels all the time. I prefer the expensive ones because I am cool. And I noticed that many of these upscale guesthouses such as Hilton, Marriott etc are constructed in such a way that I don't need to use the A/C. The whole building is covered in glass like for example the Hilton in Bkk, and one would assume that it's extremely hot inside the room but it's actually cool. The A/C is not turned on, but it feels like it is. I have noticed this abroad as well. They use some special material that doesn't allow the heat to penetrate.

Anybody knows what that is or what methods or material they use? I've never asked them. 

And why is it that the usage of solar panels are not so widespread in Thailand? With all the heat these people have access to, they could collect enough energy to run all the strip clubs without spending a dime. 

There are window covering films, made by 3M I think?, that reduce the transfer of infrared energy through the glass.  Maybe they use something like that?

On 13/07/2017 at 7:47 PM, A1Str8 said:

And I noticed that many of these upscale guesthouses such as Hilton, Marriott etc are constructed in such a way that I don't need to use the A/C. The whole building is covered in glass like for example the Hilton in Bkk, and one would assume that it's extremely hot inside the room but it's actually cool. The A/C is not turned on, but it feels like it is. I have noticed this abroad as well. They use some special material that doesn't allow the heat to penetrate.

I think that you are just mistaking the effect of all corridors and all surrounding rooms being air-conditioned. Even in my non-upscale condo I can tell when the people in units around mine have their air-con on.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:47 PM, A1Str8 said:

And I noticed that many of these upscale guesthouses such as Hilton, Marriott etc are constructed in such a way that I don't need to use the A/C.

Have you been on the roof or out the back?  There are giant AC units grinding away 24/7.

I am a project manager, building hotels for a living here. There is nothing special about the way they are constructed. Kitten Kong is correct - most of the building is air conditioned 24/7, so any individual room will stay relatively cooler even with the AC open.

Archived