Bangkok Bank Eating Non-Chip ATM Cards

Hello all, hopefully this is of some use to others:

Went into Bangkok Bank's ATM in Pattaya Central Festival a couple weeks ago and tried to use my ATM card (which I frequently use).  I typed in the PIN and requested a cash withdrawal.  After a moment, a message was flashed *very* quickly on the screen that I could not quite read it all, and it kept my card.

Fortunately this ATM was attached to the bank and I tried to go in to talk to them.  But they closed 1 minute before me walking in and told me I had to come back tomorrow.  The next morning I was back and asked for my card back.  After a few minutes they found it.  I asked them why the machine took it, and the conversation went like this:

Bank>  You type in wrong PIN too many times?

Me> No.

Bank> You not have money in bank?

Me> No.

Bank> You break card, it not work anymore?

Me> No.

Bank> I not know, but you can have card now and try again.

(Basically, everything they can do to say its my fault not theirs).  Then I said:

Before it took my card the screen flashed a message saying 'Account Suspended'.  (I was not sure, which is why I did not start with this, as the message flashed quickly, but I believe that's what it says).

So finally she went on to the computer and looked.  Fortunately I could see the screen, and it quite clearly indicated the card was suspended.  It turned out it was not a CHIP card and they are recalling ALL non-chip cards.  I asked why my GF's non-chip card was not recalled (she opened at same time as me), and the bank girl said it was being done over the course of the year.  I then asked why I did not get a message, she said that I should have gotten an SMS (no SMS, I double checked).

So there you go, you could have your non-CHIP debit card suddenly eaten at the ATM.  Be prepared!

Next:

I wanted a new card.  No problem she said.

I said I wanted Visa (not Unionpay).

She said they do not have but could order from Bangkok.  It would be here in one week.  It would cost 100THB (or 200, I honestly can't recall).

I said, why are they charging me.  She said it would be free for Unionpay.  I said I want Visa.

She made no arguments, no complaints, just matter-of-factly ordered me a VISA Chip Debit Card.  The option to order one is still available on the computer (I was watching her screen as she did the order and could see the option).

One week later the VISA ATM card arrived (it was in an envelope, so suggests it was sent via mail).  It was an ugly Rabbit VISA card (what will I do with this in Pattaya I have no idea.. I suppose I could hop around or go to the Bunny Bar?)  But at least it works and has the nice VISA logo on it.

As for the Unionpay grief, i'm not sure what's going on here... I'm thinking maybe Bangkok Bank is not phasing out VISA but rather some manager somewhere up the food chain gets a bigger kickback if Unionpay cards are given out instead of Visa so he's informed his staff to only push the Unionpay cards...... I also think they watch what's going on at Wells Fargo and get inspiration....

Anywho, Pattaya, VISA ATM card obtained without problems.

Same thing happened to my girlfriend last month. She got the UnionPay as she did not want to wait the VISA ATM card from Bangkok.

And now with chips cards you need a 6 digits PIN number.

10 hours ago, JayBird said:

It was an ugly Rabbit VISA card

I wonder if they are really running out of cards. The Rabbit / Bangkok Bank card is actually a dual-interface smart card, significantly more expensive than the regular chip card.

Oh, and it will work on the Skytrain next time you're in BKK :smile:

The 7 days on the Visa is now standard, I'm waiting for my new card to arrive on Monday... it's a positive as I'm finding that more and more places will only take a chip card, be it mostly overseas (couldn't use my last Bangkok Bank Visa in Malaysia besides an ATM) and even my local Japanese place in Chiang Mai now only accepts chip cards as well. 

As for Union Pay, Bangkok Bank has done a big deal with the Chinese company behind it hence why they are pushing it so heavily. One major problem though - lots of places simply don't take Union Pay cards, both in Thailand and overseas, except naturally China). 

3 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

Why people do not want Union pay ?

Because the number of places that accept it as payment is, shall we say, minimal, compared to Visa.

Just got around to visiting my branch today for a replacement Visa debit/ATM card, and got the anticipated "Can Not".  Union Pay only.  I told them I could wait a week or whatever for the Visa logo card.   Kid made a call, presumably to Bangkok main office (not sure) and said the same afterward - no more Visa debit cards.   Period. 

Been through this one time before and prevailed.  Just didn't have it in me today, so I walked out empty handed, and will start using my Krungsi accounts.

Came home and see on their website they still have Visa Debit cards, albeit in a minority position on the left margin now - main cards prominently displayed with photos are all Union Pay. 

Really annoying to see active promotions/offers specifically for Visa debit cards under the Be1st Promotion link. :angry:

Capture.JPG.672cb21d100d669748660837c5d116e8.JPG

Capture1.JPG.de6cffb2c436585d1dbf4960ef025991.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fcd4dcd1859e91e5057c6a8afa37beee.JPG

Same thing happened here 2 weeks ago. My card was retained by the ATM machine.  I reported this to the bank and was told BKK Bank have withdrawn their visa service and everything's now on UnionPay.  I mentioned that I need visa for online transactions, international flights, etc and was told "Sorry. Can not".  I was asked if I wanted to apply for a credit card to use for online purchases but they need a 50k deposit, which kind of defeats the purpose of a credit card.  The other option was to open an account with a different bank - they actually recommended SCB as they offer visa services to foreigners holding work permits.

On 14.7.2017 at 8:05 AM, cnx355 said:

And now with chips cards you need a 6 digits PIN number.

I don't.

Still a 4 digit pin after voluntary swapping quite a while ago.

Yes I know, I should change it :whistling:

I have a Be 1st VISA ATM card (I'm not sure if it is a debit card; I've never used it for such).  The card expires October 2019, however from what I have read above, that may not mean much if Bangkok Bank is phasing out the card.

I am not in Thailand at the moment, but will be there in about 48 hours.  Will I be able to withdraw money from an ATM, or should I wait to go to the bank to perform the transaction at the counter?

- if your card has a Visa logo and expiry date on it, it is a debit card (assuming it is not a credit card).

- the OP said the machine swallowed his card, so AYOR for cash withdrawals. Even under normal circumstances, never attempt more than two withdrawals on the same machine, and press the "Cancel" button immediately if you get any weird message on the screen.

agree !when pushed enough BKK bank will issue a Visa debit card ordered from Bangkok

But by god it take several branches and dozens of staff before this happens!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:15 PM, Gumballl said:

I have a Be 1st VISA ATM card (I'm not sure if it is a debit card; I've never used it for such).  The card expires October 2019, however from what I have read above, that may not mean much if Bangkok Bank is phasing out the card.

I am not in Thailand at the moment, but will be there in about 48 hours.  Will I be able to withdraw money from an ATM, or should I wait to go to the bank to perform the transaction at the counter?

Good point: My VISA Debit card was not due to expire for many more years in the future.  I was expecting that it would be forced into a Union Pay when it expired, but they swallowed it up many years prematurely.  And they indicated all non-chipped cards (regardless of expiry date) would be phased out this year.  So I would be cautious of being in a situation where you rely on using your non-chip Debit card.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread:

For those who are having problems getting a Visa card, has anyone tried *phoning* customer service and asking about getting a Visa card.  It's possible that they will confirm you can get one on the phone, and when you go into the branch you can simply dial-up customer service and have a three way conversation.

4 minutes ago, JayBird said:

At the risk of hijacking my own thread:

For those who are having problems getting a Visa card, has anyone tried *phoning* customer service and asking about getting a Visa card.  It's possible that they will confirm you can get one on the phone, and when you go into the branch you can simply dial-up customer service and have a three way conversation.

Yes. When my online payment to Air Asia and Tesco Lotus was refused I got on the phone. They said they checked my card and it should be fine for online purchases but before I tried again they recommended i try an ATM transaction first. I did this and got the message my card was being retained for suspected fraudulent use and to contact my bank. On doing so my bank told me that visa services had stopped and issues me a union pay card, which has limited online use and little acceptance outside of SE Asia

On 16/07/2017 at 7:17 PM, poohy said:

agree !when pushed enough BKK bank will issue a Visa debit card ordered from Bangkok

But by god it take several branches and dozens of staff before this happens!

They do have them on site usually... 

You have to threaten to close your accounts sometimes to get one... They've been trying to push these union cards for about a year now and they are absolutely useless 

Atms and point of sale terminals and even online shopping at places like lazada Thailand don't accept  them 

If my visa or Mastercards get eaten by the atm I will not be accepting any unionpay crap

34 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

They do have them on site usually... 

You have to threaten to close your accounts sometimes to get one... They've been trying to push these union cards for about a year now and they are absolutely useless 

Atms and point of sale terminals and even online shopping at places like lazada Thailand don't accept  them 

If my visa or Mastercards get eaten by the atm I will not be accepting any unionpay crap

My main branch in BKK flatly refused my other branch in prachuap said "cannot no hab " then they had a relief lady manager a few weeks ago i asked again  and no problem  ...... seems its who you ask  and it did have to come from BKK

21 minutes ago, poohy said:

My main branch in BKK flatly refused my other branch in prachuap said "cannot no hab " then they had a relief lady manager a few weeks ago i asked again  and no problem  ...... seems its who you ask  and it did have to come from BKK

Could be only senior staff are allowed them and junior staff are told to give everyone a unionpay.... 

If you make enough fuss they won't let you close accounts but really shouldn't have to

The one thing I have noticed is all the 7/11s in the central bkk area put a unionpay sticker on the counter last year for the Chinese customers

On 7/14/2017 at 3:16 PM, 55Jay said:

Just got around to visiting my branch today for a replacement Visa debit/ATM card, and got the anticipated "Can Not".  Union Pay only.  I told them I could wait a week or whatever for the Visa logo card.   Kid made a call, presumably to Bangkok main office (not sure) and said the same afterward - no more Visa debit cards.   Period. 

Been through this one time before and prevailed.  Just didn't have it in me today, so I walked out empty handed, and will start using my Krungsi accounts.

Came home and see on their website they still have Visa Debit cards, albeit in a minority position on the left margin now - main cards prominently displayed with photos are all Union Pay. 

Really annoying to see active promotions/offers specifically for Visa debit cards under the Be1st Promotion link. :angry:

Capture.JPG.672cb21d100d669748660837c5d116e8.JPG

Capture1.JPG.de6cffb2c436585d1dbf4960ef025991.JPG

Capture2.JPG.fcd4dcd1859e91e5057c6a8afa37beee.JPG

FYI, sent Bangkok Bank a couple inquiries from the iBanking message system.  Got a response and as others have said, and I knew as well, you can still request a Visa logo debit card from Bangkok. 

596f9952505ca_bkkinmailresp-Copy.JPG.03adcc5f36aa8ec93f7294a41747e19b.JPG