UAE says it is headed for 'long estrangement' with Qatar

webfact

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

I can't say I went that far but I was dubious of claims by some that Qatar was in a relatively weak position and would acquiesce in some face-saving manner.

I just sensed the mood was totally laid back no one was talking about it at work, few good jokes everything that went wrong was being blamed on the Saudis in jest.Even the FM interviews were brilliantly calm and logical. If they lift the Embargo it means a cheaper flight to Thailand, so in a very selfish way I'll be happy when everything is sorted out

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash confirmed this week that Trump’s “very, very successful” trip to the Gulf in May had helped trigger the decision by his country -- together with Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain -- to launch a political and economic assault on Qatar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-18/when-trump-goes-abroad-radical-change-follows-in-his-footsteps

As I recall, some members entertained notions that things might deteriorate to actual fighting. That, in the face of ongoing statements from all sides advocating a diplomatic solution of one sort or another. If the report is correct, then it is not particularly surprising. Even the original demands were, I suspect, more a shot at starting from a tough bargaining position then an realistic expectation that Qatar will fully comply.

Reports aside, things are still as they are, and can't see them being resolved without Qatar making some concessions, regardless of their meaningfulness. At the end, it will be back to square one, with some extra grudge on the side, Until the next time issues crop up.

49 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash confirmed this week that Trump’s “very, very successful” trip to the Gulf in May had helped trigger the decision by his country -- together with Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain -- to launch a political and economic assault on Qatar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-18/when-trump-goes-abroad-radical-change-follows-in-his-footsteps

The interesting part is how, to date, despite Trump's various statements, US foreign policy did not change. Other than Trump's words, there was no actual siding with Saudi Arabia and the others against Qatar. Both Department of State and Department of Defense kept a mostly similar line throughout the crisis, not matching the President's rhetoric, and advocating a more reasoned approach. Not that the confusion did much to promote US image in the region, but apparently it's not all Simple Trump Says.

After the Gulf War, there was a Kuwaiti man -- and least he was reported to be Kuwaiti -- who trapped between the border of Northern Iraq and Turkey.   Turkey wouldn't allow him entry and returning to Iraq was not an option (although the Northern border was under Kurdish Control, he had to go through Saddam controlled Iraq to get to Kuwait).  

I never found out what happened to him, but the guards on both sides gave him food and essentials.   His 'home' was under a bridge.   He was there a long time, as in years.

After the Gulf War, there was a Kuwaiti man -- and least he was reported to be Kuwaiti -- who trapped between the border of Northern Iraq and Turkey.   Turkey wouldn't allow him entry and returning to Iraq was not an option (although the Northern border was under Kurdish Control, he had to go through Saddam controlled Iraq to get to Kuwait).  

I never found out what happened to him, but the guards on both sides gave him food and essentials.   His 'home' was under a bridge.   He was there a long time, as in years.

There was a Qatari royal abducted in Iraq last year for 18 months. Getting him back home was one of the supposed sparks to this whole fire.

If you didn't hear anything more about it, then it very likely went well for the Kuwaiti.

25 minutes ago, coulson said:

There was a Qatari royal abducted in Iraq last year for 18 months. Getting him back home was one of the supposed sparks to this whole fire.

If you didn't hear anything more about it, then it very likely went well for the Kuwaiti.

Iraq claim they are still holding the ransom money that was paid