Internet

hocuspocus

Hello, can someone please give me a good alternative to 3BB internet. I am currently on 3BB with presumably 15mb/5mb and I find it is not sufficient for streaming tv. Yes I see 3BB advertising (for the same as what I am paying 590 Baht a month) 30mb/10mb, but can I get hold of them to ask why I am not getting the increased speed? No. Thanks in advance. Keith

4 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

but can I get hold of them to ask why I am not getting the increased speed? No.

We just went to their office and told them to change the speed to their current entry level plans of 50/10mbps.

Previous we were getting about 4mbps on a 10mbps ADSL account due to the old modem they previously gave us. They changed modem to VDSL and we now get a steady 50/10. The phone line was always never an issue.

22 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

Hello, can someone please give me a good alternative to 3BB internet. I am currently on 3BB with presumably 15mb/5mb and I find it is not sufficient for streaming tv. Yes I see 3BB advertising (for the same as what I am paying 590 Baht a month) 30mb/10mb, but can I get hold of them to ask why I am not getting the increased speed? No.

I find 3BB to be quite good. If you have a question about your package you would be better off going to a 3BB shop than trying to do it over the phone, though the phone support are good for sorting out technical problems.

You should ask whether the @inter supplement is available for your package or whether you can upgrade your package to one for which the @inter supplement is available. @inter seems to cost either 200 or 250B and is designed to improve your international connectivity.

I have just been upgraded from 18/1 ADSL to 50/20 VDSL with the @inter supplement.  The new package in total costs exactly the same as my old one (10,630B/year including VAT, with 8% pre-pay discount) but the results are much better.

22 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

You probably are getting 15mb to Bangkok , but not to U.K.  U.S.A etc.

And 15 Mbit/s is by far enough for TV streaming in the usual qualities (720p and even 1080p).

So it's indeed a specific bottleneck to the service/location that you want to use.

This "inter" package/addon might help to get better rates on overseas connections.

I've been with 3BB for at least 5 years now and no problems..  I'm on the 590Bt rate (plus VAT).. I've got ADSL.. and get 18 mb/s download  and near 2 on upload.. They are now offering VDSL ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL )  at the same price.. much faster .. it is worth asking for the upgrade if you are on ADSL.... they won't tell you.. you would have to ask.. might be worth a try..   I'm just setting up an Android box .. if my speed isn't up to it that is what I will do.. good luck..

I recommend internet from CAT. 3BB and True Move buy their bandwidth from CAT anyway. Cut out the middle man, get better internet for the same price. I got the 20mb fibre connection for 590, is significantly more reliable than my friend's 3BB connection across town at the same price. Only drawback I can see is their customer service is very slow, nothing like 3BB. 

TOT are putting in cable in our village now and I am wanting to get Australian TV and am told by JSAT in BKK that all I need is a cable for the router and more than 2 MBPs download and I will be right to go.

As I am not up to speed on this stuff or best company to go with, I am told 3BB is best and of we get 5 people wanting internet they will put in the cable, so I guess once the cable is in the street and the modem is in the house, I will ask JSAT to send me their modem for me to watch Australian TV, if its that simple ? 

Open to any other suggestions/corrections/feedback as I am in a grey area here.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

TOT are putting in cable in our village now and I am wanting to get Australian TV and am told by JSAT in BKK that all I need is a cable for the router and more than 2 MBPs download and I will be right to go.

As I am not up to speed on this stuff or best company to go with, I am told 3BB is best and of we get 5 people wanting internet they will put in the cable, so I guess once the cable is in the street and the modem is in the house, I will ask JSAT to send me their modem for me to watch Australian TV, if its that simple ? 

Open to any other suggestions/corrections/feedback as I am in a grey area here.

CAT ran a kilometer of cable to my house, with me as the only subscriber so far. TOT also buys international bandwidth from CAT, if I recall correctly.

They should pay me, I know I sound like a shill. But I've tried the other companies, only ever really been satisfied with CAT. Rather poor customer service, but great connection that makes me willing to endure it. (For example, I signed up with them at the new place, and took 3 weeks to get a tech out to set it up.)

40 minutes ago, johnnynmonic said:

This afternoon, kids playing online games, wife and I both relaxing with different streaming services all simultaneously (YouTube and Netflix). No buffering, no lag. No complaints.

..and who is your provider.. what type of connection and what speeds are you getting? 

Depends where you are and what is available. We recently got 3bb vdsl in the middle of nowhere/countryside and its 30mb download. Overall works quite well. 

If you are on adsl you should upgrade to vdsl. 

As others have aluded you wont get 30mb, etc to sites outside Thailand. If streaming video you should be able to set the buffer size somewhat larger to overcome gaps in your streaming.

But hey this is Thailand; we are pretty happy with our 3bb service, but if you are looking for perfection you are in the wrong place!

You might want to try an Ethernet cable and see if it works better. If that is the case, upgrade wifi drivers on your pc and get firmware upgraded on the router or replace it with a newer model. You should be using wireless N at a minimum; if on G or earlier, upgrade.

Edited by MaiChai

I hope people got a better deal than we did.  At the beginning of this year we signed up for BBB's top tier for 50 mb at 1,284 baht a month thinking we were getting fiber.   I went in a couple of weeks ago and saw that not only do I not have fiber, but I'm paying the fiber price for VDSL.   I asked us why they had been overcharging me all year and they said it was a new rate plan...........so I said put me on the new rate plan....I'm not paying double because you decided I'm a sucker.   After some arguing back and forth I became insistent (without yelling at them) and said we  wanted to be paying for what we are getting....then it "oh, then you have to sign up for the new plan", and asking my wife for all the data, id card etc just to be a pain in the ass.   Then they decided we'd have to come back and apply later, not today...............and the wife had to bring the modem so they could "adjust it".....Being in the phone/internet/tv businesses in the States I called her on it.   That made the wife nervous and the clerk mad so I finally said to hell with It.....maybe I'll come back some other time.  You don't have to touch the modem to change the billing to the correct rate.  A......oles.   I'll go back later when I'm feeling not quite so persnickety and see if they'll be more responsive (nicer).

Actually it's a good connection and I'm getting a steady 49/20 so one could hardly argue about quality.  We did endure some outages in the beginning but for the past few months it's run quite well with no problems.   I think they finally got enough equipment installed to service everyone who had signed up with them.

2 hours ago, TGIR said:

After some arguing back and forth I became insistent (without yelling at them) and said we  wanted to be paying for what we are getting....then it "oh, then you have to sign up for the new plan", and asking my wife for all the data, id card etc just to be a pain in the ass.   Then they decided we'd have to come back and apply later, not today...............and the wife had to bring the modem so they could "adjust it".....Being in the phone/internet/tv businesses in the States I called her on it.   That made the wife nervous and the clerk mad so I finally said to hell with It.....maybe I'll come back some other time.  You don't have to touch the modem to change the billing to the correct rate.  A......oles.

Actually 3BB do indeed offer at least two different packages which do require the login to be modified on the router to differentiate between them. There may be more than two, but if there are then I dont know about them.

My own package has the @inter option and this requires the addition of an "inter" suffix to my login to work.

You are basically asking for a gauranteed data rate. I can tell you now you won't get that unless you are prepared to pay a fortune. It means having a Quality of Service which customers do not get. What you get is a Best Effort service. It is normal

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got cable internet in the village after 20 months.

We saw TOT laying cable so we called them, said you need 5 people, we said we have 4, they said go and put your names down and when you find a 5th person, call us back, so the Mrs rang 3BB and said TOT was laying cable yiatta yiatta yiatta and we only have 4 people, they were here the same day, signing all 4 of us up, 2 days later we all have cable 30MB/10MB, suffice to say TOT just lost out big time, and we are stocked at the level of service thus far.

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Finally got cable internet in the village after 20 months.

We saw TOT laying cable so we called them, said you need 5 people, we said we have 4, they said go and put your names down and when you find a 5th person, call us back, so the Mrs rang 3BB and said TOT was laying cable yiatta yiatta yiatta and we only have 4 people, they were here the same day, signing all 4 of us up, 2 days later we all have cable 30MB/10MB, suffice to say TOT just lost out big time, and we are stocked at the level of service thus far.

You're better off for it anyway, TOT is terrible.

1 minute ago, johnnynmonic said:

You're better off for it anyway, TOT is terrible.

Yeh, did the research, everyone is for 3BB nd we were happy with their quick set up, they worked in the village all day till 7pm to set all 4 up.