Pump For Shower

chiangrai

I have a gas shower water heater and there is not getting enough water

pressure coming from my tank to run it.

The tank is up on a height  behind the house.There is enough pressure

for everything else just not enough for the shower.

The shower is on it's own 3/4 inch pipe coming from the tank,separate from

everything else else,

I was going to put an electric  pump just outside the bathroom but me Missus

says I should put it up at the tank.

My main question is where to put the pump but some advice on what type of pump 

would also help.

If it has to go by the tank I will also need some advice on how to get the electricity

up there,but for now...................

Where does the pump go.

Many of the common pressure pumps come with plastic shell covers, but I'd call them weather-resistant not weather proof. Besides there being electrical issues, the pumps rely on the water they carry to keep the pump parts cooled so they shouldn't be installed where they will receive direct sun.

From an electrical safety standpoint it needs to be outside the shower room.

They also can be quite noisy (a bit of a medium to high pitched whine when running).

You can place the pump anywhere on the water line after the tank. Anything after the pump will benefit from the pressure boost.

Just make sure the proposed location has access to electrical, isn't prone to flooding, and is protected from direct sun or rain downpour (or a simple enclosure built and placed over it).

Addendum:

I see a lot of "Automatic Shower Booster Water Pump Pressure Control" units available on eBay for use in the UK. These are sometimes inline pressure assist units that can be installed directly on the bathroom wall and connected to electrical.

But I've never seen them for sale here.

$_58.JPG  $_58.JPG  $_58.JPG

I have done the same before in Indonesia but have not looked here for a small pump nor have I seen one.

For a decent shower, you need about 1 bar pressure at the shower head so you'de have to raise the tank quite high, about 30 ft

You need one of these.

product3.jpg

The smallest one listed here is WP-85QS, 80W. Price is 3,500 -  4,000 baht.

You might consider a bigger one and do the whole house!

Edited by VocalNeal

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

For a decent shower, you need about 1 bar pressure at the shower head so you'de have to raise the tank quite high, about 30 ft

You need one of these.

product3.jpg

Readers should probably include an " -or- " in between the two listed options. Can do one or the other.

...and, yes, if you can find them, the smaller in-house inline 'booster/pressure assist' pumps.

I'm told that the pumps in Homepro are about 1800bht.

The one in the picture I posted above is about 1800bht

delivered on Ebay

I would love to put the pump in the shower room but don't know which one to buy and I won't gomuch more than 1800bht.

Does any body know if the pump I posted is for using inside the bathroom or can give me a link to what I need to buy.

17 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Are these what you mean....220V 100W Stainless Home Solar Water Heater Booster Automatic Pressure PUMP

220V-100W-Stainless-Home-Solar-Water-Heater-Booster-Automatic-Pressure-Pump

Can you use these in the shower room itself.

If you look at this, especially the diagram, there is no difference in the head, so all the pump has to do is circulate the water.  OR the rated lift stated is 7m. So useless for what you want. 

2 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Does any body know if the pump I posted is for using inside the bathroom or can give me a link to what I need to buy.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

So useless for what you want. 

The pump description says max 10 l/m, so pretty weak,

Stolen from the Internet:

Gravity fed taps on the ground floor would have approximately 0.4 - 0.5 bar pressure,

Gravity showers will only be just adequate enough at best.

A gravity shower on the ground floor with 0.5 bar pressure would have approximately 10 to 12 l/m (liters per minute) depending on the actual shower valve and shower head. If you want a good shower on a gravity system it will need to have a pump on it. Any pump producing a pressure of 1 bar or above would be fine for a single headed shower. If using body jets as well then you would be best to choose a 2.4 to 3 bar pump.

Municipal mains delivered water systems normally serve water between 2.5 to 3 bar pressure and would give good flow rates of 15 to 25 l/m.

The cost of a good whole-house water pump generally starts at 5,000 THB

The "Home" places have a Chinese constant pressure pump rated at 200W for about B1200 (to wit).  I use for irrigation on my wife's bamboo farm and it handles what we need.  I'm sure it would take care of a shower.  If the only place you have to put a pump is outside and in the weather, you could do what I have done - buy a large plastic bucket and cut out for the pipes and maybe air holes to cover the pump and protect from rain.

Thanks......I am some bit wiser now.I will go to homepro and get 

an inline pump with a minimum of 1bar pressure .

I only want to do the shower.I don't want the electricity to come on

every time we turn on a tap.

I will try to get it running before I install it to see how loud it is

and then decide where to put it.

I might have to start another post as I'm installing it but that's fine too.

Make sure you get an "automatic" pump, then it will start when the water flow does.

Running the pump dry won't show you how loud it is, it's the load from the water that makes the noise.

We had a little LuckyPro which really screamed under load, but the baby (non-auto) I got for the pond filter is much, much quieter.

17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Any pump producing a pressure of 1 bar or above would be fine for a single headed shower.

Not exactly what I said but does support my findings and experience. I had a shower head above a bathtub and the water had to pass through an electric water storage heater.