No More Punk Monks: Ordained Thai Buddhists will be forced to carry smart ID cards

snoop1130

No More Punk Monks: Ordained Thai Buddhists will be forced to carry smart ID cards

By Coconuts Bangkok

8745.JPG

A monk in Chiang Mai gives the finger to a tourist after being refused a donation in a story that went viral in 2015.

In the wake of scandals involving drunk monks, fake monks and awful abbots, Thai monks will now be forced to carry chip-embedded smart ID cards.

Starting in October, ID cards will be issued within three months of ordination. It’s been proposed that the same federal system that issues Thai national ID cards, which feature embedded chips, be used to issue monk IDs as a way to standardize production and control costs, reported Bangkok Post.

Thai monks have long carried paper identification documents, but these are easy to falsify and difficult to verify.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/no-punk-monks-ordained-thai-buddhists-will-forced-carry-smart-id-cards/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-7-14

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a classic photo; bet there was no sanction for that monk; that means he will keep doing it

loved the photo. he was just doing his job i suppose. whole monk thing needs to be canned, or at least ban the giving of money to buy merit. monks are not supposed to won anything anyway so why do they need money?

I feel that many monks in Thailand are just lazy sods who use their holy robes to scam through

Got some good ones,  but in general their just dudes In funny clothing who think the robe makes them special

I think the Buddha would not appove.

Edited by Juan B Tong

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

loved the photo. he was just doing his job i suppose. whole monk thing needs to be canned, or at least ban the giving of money to buy merit. monks are not supposed to won anything anyway so why do they need money?

IPhones are expensive? 

Sadly there  are as  yet few Thai  who  would  have the  temerity to  challenge  the  robes by  requesting an id  card.

Some of the  genuine  monks  can be  quite  dominating let  alone  the  swaggering pretenders.

The  card is  not  such a  bad idea  but probably limited  in effect.

If it  came  with some decent penalty for those snapped as  pretenders  it  might have  some  better effect. But..... :(