Things you don't do in Thailand because you know better

canuckamuck

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "farang" should never go to a Chiang Mai Karaoke lounge unless with a regular Thai customer. They'll give you a ridiculous huge bill written on a scrap of paper. 20-30 Thousand baht minimum. If you don't pay you will be threatened/stabbed by thugs with knives and the local bib are in on the scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2017 at 9:35 AM, gk10002000 said:

Don't yell and raise voice if you have any disagreement about just about anything, a bill dispute, bad service, or whatever.  It is not perceived well.  Use some language to get your point across as necessary, but yelling rarely helps.

Don't pay for a room without seeing it first.  There are exceptions, but too often you pay for a room and get the room near the noisy elevator, over the motorcycle parking lot, facing the main street, etc. 

Don't hop in a cab or a tuk tuk without fare agreed first.

Don't invest a lot of hard money in Thailand.  While things can be bought you will constantly be at risk and a target.  The risk reward benefits assessment is up to you

Wise words

Go into Makro, Global House, 7/11, Big C, any Pharmacist, and ask one of the staff if they have anything, or where you may find it if they dont. Unless it is right in front of them, they will say 'no hab'. And if you then ask where you might be able to get it, they will give you directions to a local chicken farm or golf course.  

Clearly in Thailand the management dont train the staff about what they have and where it is, and the staff make no attempt to find out.  Most places have English signs, so just walk around and try to find it yourself.  If you ask and then ignore them they will get upset, and if you actually then go and find it, they will get very upset. Dont ask. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:38 PM, maximillian said:

don't wai to everybody

don't honk your horn when angry about thai style driving

don't ignore dress codes

don't show you're angry, smile

I do chuckle to myself when I see "tourists" wai-ing the cashier at 7/11.  And sadly, I am guilty about honking my horn.  :-(

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

When you see a hopeless Chav from Bradford walking around Chiangmai at 2AM with a Ladyboy (he thinks is a woman) don't tell him. Either one will beat you to within an inch of your life!

How do you know that he thinks that she is a woman?