Poll: What should Phuket do about the deadly Patong Hill road?

rooster59

Make the road from Hasip Pi to Wat Chalong usable.  It would remove most of the traffic going over the hill to Chalong/Rawai.  Travel time also be reduced.  Go to google maps and check the distance from Don's BBQ to Wat Chalong,  8 km vs 18 km.  You need to click on the option for walking to see the road over the Nakkerd Hills.

20 hours ago, window said:

There has been a plan for sometime to mine a tunnel through the hill. doesn't seem to get past the plan stage.

Is that because the engineers (?) are still busy with the tunnel / underpass in Pattaya that is almost on schedule?

11 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Good, send all the buses, trucks etc that way and on to Patong.

Ban them from the hill.

Enjoy the journey after that.

:smile:

Nop they are banned going over the Kathu hill.They can reach patong via Kata and or Kamala.Try look on a phuket map first and  or maybe visit it Phuket in real before u place comments.

10 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nop they are banned going over the Kathu hill.They can reach patong via Kata and or Kamala.Try look on a phuket map first and  or maybe visit it Phuket in real before u place comments.

Wrong- they are only banned for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night. Not that this is actually enforced. Maybe YOU should check things out before commenting.

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

Wrong- they are only banned for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night. Not that this is actually enforced. Maybe YOU should check things out before commenting.

U need to read all post before break in.He commented on my proposal to dig a tunnel and meanwhile ban the hill for all trucks busses and tuktuks.However he thinks Patong can only be reach via the Kathu hill and or the ocean duhhhh!!

There have been at least 3 or 4 expensive studies made on the tunnel. A good earner for the companies who undertake them. I think no matter how much money Patong Council make all major decisions such as tunnel construction comes from Central govt.

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I used to live there but a long time ago, so maybe I am behind the times a bit. Nevertheless, something has to be done as it was happening then and it is still happening now... Call the hill what you want, but the press call it Patong hill I think, even if it is in Kathu district. You could go the long way round back then of course.

So what do you suggest? The only safe answer is a tunnel, as I have agreed with other posters.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I used to live there but a long time ago, so maybe I am behind the times a bit. Nevertheless, something has to be done as it was happening then and it is still happening now... Call the hill what you want, but the press call it Patong hill I think, even if it is in Kathu district. You could go the long way round back then of course.

So what do you suggest? The only safe answer is a tunnel, as I have agreed with other posters.

Yes tunnel is best..Then we call it Patong Tunnel.?

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

U need to read all post before break in.He commented on my proposal to dig a tunnel and meanwhile ban the hill for all trucks busses and tuktuks.However he thinks Patong can only be reach via the Kathu hill and or the ocean duhhhh!!

Err- I did read your post and what you wrote was WRONG about buses - I take it engrish not yua firt langage!

I quote "Nop they are banned going over the Kathu hill." Pretty clear what you said.

if you want to insult people get your facts (and grammar) right.  

If you really believe a tunnel will ever be built I have some great swampland for sale as well,. 

The biggest danger I see on that hill is the Patong City sign coming up from the Kathu side. The stone wall continues to lean outwards  more & more. It will be catastrophic when it goes which is only a matter of time unless something is done to shore it up.

11 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Err- I did read your post and what you wrote was WRONG about buses - I take it engrish not yua firt langage!

I quote "Nop they are banned going over the Kathu hill." Pretty clear what you said.

if you want to insult people get your facts (and grammar) right.  

If you really believe a tunnel will ever be built I have some great swampland for sale as well,. 

Not another airport site! Hang on while I get some shares in sand and trucks. Has it got snakes too? You must be sitting on a fortune...

Yeah, there's about as much chance of the tunnel as the aircraft carrier getting planes...

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Not another airport site! Hang on while I get some shares in sand and trucks. Has it got snakes too? You must be sitting on a fortune...

Yeah, there's about as much chance of the tunnel as the aircraft carrier getting planes...

Its coming because i have seen already computer animated images of the Patong tunnel don't worry?

Providing a durable solution to the problem of the "hill" would require massive infrastructure investment which would require Government support.

All the talk about tunnels etc is just so much hot air until such time  as National government commit to resolving the issue.

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Finding budget is a time consuming proces.

Just comes down to money as you say. They can find the money same as the submarines, depends on who gets it as to if and when it will be built.

The high speed railway is much the same, all those over passes ( no level crossings I hope) have to be built.

Contracts are the name of the game.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:25 AM, Cadbury said:

All trucks and buses using the hill should be made to have extra and more powerful amulets hanging in the drivers cabin.

39 years ago on our honeymoon, my wife and I took an "orange crush" bus across the mountains from Loei on the way to Chaing Mai.  Every corner with a 500 foot drop-off and many memorial spirit markers, the driver would let go of the steering wheel and Wai.  Bus with shot springs and no shocks.  I think my wife and I were the only passengers for awhile, except for a half-dozen monks riding free in the back. They had a good time, me not so much.

For those who don't know, "orange crush" buses are those local ones that meet head-on on the highway with other buses or 10-wheel trucks.  Used to be many locations across from police stations in the boonies where they parked the wreckage.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:53 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Its coming because i have seen already computer animated images of the Patong tunnel don't worry?

Its coming?....only 6 years ago, this month that it was announced that it was coming!

The tunnel will probably never see the light of day (!).  Yes, several computer animations can be found on the internet but they are just part of the distribution of funds granted for feasibility studies.

These fully funded studies are stand alone projects in themselves with goals other than an actual finished product.

Also, locals situated near the Patong entrance to the tunnel started their play for compensation very early and probably killed it off quickly.

I also recall some residents on the eastern side of the hill expressed concerns that a hole through the mountain would allow the next tsunami to flood through, putting their lives and property in jeopardy. 

The Thai system of self always plays a large part in projects such as this.