Legal Work?

mikesensei

Consulting Work - legal field?
Hi. I'm thinking to spend a length of time in Chiang Mai and catch up on life. But I'd still like to do something with some of my time while I'm there, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience or can suggest if there might be a need for a western (and western trained) lawyer/legal consultant in Chiang Mai. Maybe in the capacity as consulting counsel with an existing firm there or just in an ad hoc private capacity. Many years experience in the field, including Asia, but none in Thailand. Just something informal and part-time is what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure it's not possible, but hey, if you don't ask - you never know. Anyhow, thanks!

Have you checked the legality of working in the legal profession in Thailand?

Here is an extract of the ‘aliens act’

Prohibited Jobs for Foreigners in Thailand

A Foreigner can work in Thailand under certain conditions. He or she will normally need a valid visa (some visas exclude working, like a tourist visa) and a valid work permit (there are few exceptions). The main law related to Foreigners working in Thailand is called the Aliens Working Act (B.E. 2521 or 1978) and was recently modified in B.E. 2551 (2008). Foreigners are also restricted to have businesses in certain fields under the Foreign Business Act of 1999.

Foreigners (Aliens) are not permitted to work in the following positions:

(this is number 37 in the list)

37.Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.

PS;  This seems to be your second post on the same subject!

PPS;  As you claim to have many years experience in the legal world in Asia I am amazed that you do not appear to have done your homework on working legally in Thailand!

You may wish to contact Babseacle Foundation, a NGO engaged in pro bono legal aid work.  https://www.babseacle.org/thailand/

They arrange for qualified foreign volunteers to participate legally in their organization.  Some of the pro bono work they do is for low-income resident foreigners who do indeed need the services of lawyers from their home countries.  

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Why would anyone want legal help about an issue in Thailand from a person not licensed to practice law in Thailand and no experience in Thailand?

Just asking.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of six or seven Thai law firms that legally employ foreign-trained lawyers -- not to act as lawyers in Thailand,  but to act as associates to help their Thai lawyers communicate with foreign clients and to communicate with law firms overseas.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Just off the top of my head, I can think of six or seven Thai law firms that legally employ foreign-trained lawyers -- not to act as lawyers in Thailand,  but to act as associates to help their Thai lawyers communicate with foreign clients and to communicate with law firms overseas.

Surely a supposedly legally trained person would have done a little bit of research on the legality of this subject before this troll post.

Judging by the PM I received from the OP, I don't think this is troll post.  I think there are a couple of mis-informed cynics contributing to this thread.  As I said, I know of several Thai law firms that legally employ foreign lawyers -- not to practice law, but to serve as "customer service reps" for their foreign clients and to communicate with overseas law firms. And at least one NGO that gets legit volunteer visas for western lawyers.  One of the main functions of this NGO is to train Thai lawyers.  Training isn't "practicing law".

What makes this so difficult to understand?  Just because someone has a law degree doesn't mean they're practicing law in Thailand when they work or volunteer.  

Someone can't read -- the title of the thread is "Legal Work" and he opens with "Consulting work - legal field"  not "I want to practice law in Chiang Mai"  or "I want to litigate cases in Chiang Mai".  The latter two would clearly be prohibited.