What Is/are Hash House Harriers

i like the outdoors and i like to run a bit and i enjoy long walks in the countryside.

i like the idea of doing this with a group of people , however most of the people i know prefer to drive or watch tv.

and the thought of walking the thai countryside fills them (thai and falang alike ) with dread and horror (of heatstroke and wildlife)

someone recommended that i join the hash house harriers , but i have been told that they are a bunch of social inadequates with strange rituals and funny handshakes.

there are a couple of groups in my area.

should i avoid them like the plague , or should i just stroll alone.

any advice or hash house harrier experiences would be appreciated.

Well much as hate to wade into this potential flame fest.

The HHH is a paperchase with beer at the end of it. I've been an irregular attender with various clubs over the years and have at times enjoyed it immensly and almost got semi fit at one point. It's a great excuse to wander around the countryside. Whether its worth it in your case would probably depend on where you are and what clubs are available. My personal experience is that some of the clubs seem to cater to a limited social group while others are extremely entertaining.

in what way are they out of the ordinary , i'm just looking for a group of friendly ordinary folk to jog and walk with a couple of times a week....... and i'm not looking for flames against anyone.

the facts , just the facts.

What facts ?

What facts ?
i dont know what facts , thats why i posted the query , in order to find out.
with strange rituals and funny handshakes

i dont go in for clubs with rituals , funny handshakes and a boy scout or rugby club mentality etc.

The Hash House Harriers (or H3) and Harriets (the ladies) are a group of cross country runners that use the excuse of running to build up a thirst for the beer afterwards.

Usually, a run is set by "The Hare"... a person who has previously mapped out a trail using toilet paper, tin cans, tissue, coloured ribbon etc. Everyone who participates in the run usually start of at the same place... with members running off into all directions until the marked trail is found. The out goesthe cry "on-on" and evryone starts running in that direction. The trail is followed at a pace set by the individual runners until a check point is found... usually marked by a set of 3 ribbons, cans etc. This usually means a change in direction. The runners take off into all directions checking for the new trail until it is found... then the call of "on-on" is made and everyone joins in the pursuit. The trail can have a number of false trails leading to dead-ends... if one of these is found the cry of "on-back" is made... back to the checkpoint where hopefully someone has discovered the true trail.

The "Hare" usually stays in the middle of the group... to ensure that the slower runners do not get too far behind and to ensure that the correct trail is followed.

Young or old, fit or not, this type of run ensures that the fittest get some exercise (they're usually the ones bounding ahead checking out all the trails away from the checkpoints)... and the not so fit do not over-exert themselves (they're usually the ones resting at the checkpoints).

After a run, everyone gathers in the one spot to toast the Hare, make comments on the run, welcome new runners, and hand out penalties to anyone caught offending the unwrittin laws of Hash. These penalties usually take the form of one or more "down-downs"... which is a "skull" of icy cold beer... followed by tipping the glass/can/bottle upside down over your head to prove to all and sundry that you had in fact emptied it.

After 3 runs with a hash club, you are usually given your hash name. This is chosen by the current GM (Grand Master) and seconded by the members of the club. You have no choice with this name... it is bestowed upon you with great ceremony and hilarity... and you will be rewarded by having all the members sing you a song and you will have to perform the obligatory "down-down".

It's a lot of fun... and not taken at all seriously.

Go along sometime... and enjoy.

:o

What facts ?
i dont know what facts , thats why i posted the query , in order to find out.
with strange rituals and funny handshakes
i dont go in for clubs with rituals , funny handshakes and a boy scout or rugby club mentality etc.

As I don't know where you are it's a bit difficult to be specific.

The club I've been running with recently suits me, you turn up, run for an hour or more then get back to the car park and have a couple of drinks then it's up to you. I generally leave at that point but some stay for more beer and a meal at a cheap restaurant on the way back to town.

Other clubs I've been to have crappy runs as most of the hardcore are old farts then do all the funny handshake stuff.

Edited by lamphun

IT is good fun and you do not need to be super fit, run / walk it's your choice. There is a regular weekly hash meet around Pattaya for people who are interested.

Contact, Steve @

The Thistle Bar (big HHH banner above the place)

On Soi Post office.

Ace

Thanks, Jai Dee, for an informative and succinct explanation. I've heard about HHH but never figured out what they did or how they did it (until now).

And thanks to taxexile for asking the question in the first place.

Edited by jaithai

I 've been running a few times with the Sunday Hash of Bangkok... Loved it... everyone is really friendly and has a great sense of humour...

The Hash house in bangkok is at Noriega's, silom soi 4... You will find all details you need if you want to join.

they also organise Bike hash....