How to force Thai embassy in Phnom Penh to issue a non-B ?

Question.

We have a Cambodian national that we want to hire. The company is under the BOI regime, and we have a letter from the BOI stating that his work permit will be approved. Our lawyer says this is entirely equivalent to a WP3.

But the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh refuses to issue a non-B visa without a WP3. All they do is point to the list and close the window when you try and speak to them about it. But a BOI company can't get a WP3, so it is impossible to meet their demand. Basically, the Thai Embassy is saying that no Cambodian national can work for a BOI company.

Is there any way to force their hand and make them address this ludicrous position?

It might be easier for him to get a single entry tourist visa and then do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category B ) entry at immigration.

The embassy in Phnom Penh is known to be difficult to deal with. One option might be to try using an agent.

Ubonjoe's suggestion is (as always) spot on.

I went to Vientiane to get a non-B along with all the documentation needed for such. When I got there they said something was missing and it was coming to the end of the morning, and so the end of the time to get applications submitted for that day. I said fine, give me a tourist visa. After I got that, when I went back to Bangkok, we went to the Immigration office (which was then in Suan Phlu) and got it changed to a non-B. Then the WP was processed and everything was done. This was also for a BOI company.

3 hours ago, Monomial said:

Is there any way to force their hand and make them address this ludicrous position?

You could try raising the issue with the Minister at the DFA !  Otherwise I doubt there is any means of "forcing their hand"

Suggest the advice in post#2 is followed. 

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Is there any way to force their hand...

Would be really useful to know how an Embassy can be 'forced' to issue a visa!

agreed; i would do an 'end-run'  on this matter as suggested here in other posts; forget about this 'forcing' stuff

2 hours ago, SWW said:

I went to Vientiane to get a non-B along with all the documentation needed for such. When I got there they said something was missing and it was coming to the end of the morning, and so the end of the time to get applications submitted for that day. I said fine, give me a tourist visa. After I got that, when I went back to Bangkok, we went to the Immigration office (which was then in Suan Phlu) and got it changed to a non-B. Then the WP was processed and everything was done. This was also for a BOI company.

Do this

On 7/17/2017 at 1:54 PM, SWW said:

Depends on the embassy. I showed up in the afternoon once in Yangon, had one document missing (I think it was the WP3) but my ability to speak Thai, charming the officers and explaining that I needed the visa the next day (because 2 days later the embassy would be closed for a holiday) got me the visa even though technically they didn't even need to accept my application in the first place seeing I only arrived in the afternoon when applications are normally closed (afternoons are for pick up only). The much more popular Lao and Cambodian consulates/embassies are not likely to be this lenient and if the OP is a Cambodian national won't be able to apply anywhere outside Cambodia.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2017 at 1:54 PM, SWW said:

Sorry for the old post but i have a similar problem right now.

Short story, 

Finished contract last month.  Went to BOI office to get started with them (start new company under BOI).

In the meeting, they asked me to go Laos to get Tourist visa, comes back and they could change it back to Non-B.

Going Laos and I returned with a Tourist visa.  Going in for another meeting at BOI, they said " Oh you already went Laos! Why you didn't get Non-B? ".

Meeting with Immigration, Labor and BOI, no way they can change it locally from Tourist to Non-B (from SWW's post, he changed it in CM immigration!).

Now, I got the BOI letter of approval/recommendation in hands.  Planning to go Laos "again" to change my Tourist to Non-B with only the 2-pages BOI acceptance letter.

I'm wondering if this is enough paperwork?  I'm supposed to get a 3 months visa (studying opportunities and investment in Thailand) while they process my application and can start my DBD company registration (where I have 3 months to do so according to the document).

Anyone have experience in this situation?

Thx

I was not at CM - as stated I was in Bangkok at the old immigration office on Soi Suan Phlu (Sathon Soi 3), and it took an hour or two but I was able to get my tourist visa entry changed to a non-immigrant B. I went with an agent who handles such things for companies, who was there at the behest of the company I was then working for.

The current immigration office in Bangkok is Chaengwattana, so I would suggest going there to try to change your entry type. Alternatively, if your company is BOI you may be able to go to the one-stop centre at Chamchuri Square.

When changing jobs, it is not usually necessary to leave and get a new visa, if you are already in Thailand - a visa is merely permission to enter the country. If you have already entered Thailand, they are usually able to use your current extension and extend that. They say they can't, but all they mean is that it's more work for them. The last time I left Thailand to get a visa was the time I mentioned, and it was in 2009. I have had three different jobs since then.

8 hours ago, SWW said:

I was not at CM - as stated I was in Bangkok at the old immigration office on Soi Suan Phlu (Sathon Soi 3), and it took an hour or two but I was able to get my tourist visa entry changed to a non-immigrant B. I went with an agent who handles such things for companies, who was there at the behest of the company I was then working for.

The current immigration office in Bangkok is Chaengwattana, so I would suggest going there to try to change your entry type. Alternatively, if your company is BOI you may be able to go to the one-stop centre at Chamchuri Square.

When changing jobs, it is not usually necessary to leave and get a new visa, if you are already in Thailand - a visa is merely permission to enter the country. If you have already entered Thailand, they are usually able to use your current extension and extend that. They say they can't, but all they mean is that it's more work for them. The last time I left Thailand to get a visa was the time I mentioned, and it was in 2009. I have had three different jobs since then.

Thanks for the info...

I will try to go CW.  I tried at OSOS at Chamchuri and the director say she couldn't do it.  But agreed with your comment " more work for them " and my agent was not using nice words to her so i'm sure it didn't help the situation.

I just want to change my current Tourist visa to Non-B with the BOI paper I got.  Hopefully I can avoid a trip to Laos and god knows what they will say over there with only an acceptance letter.

23 hours ago, enkiki said:

Now, I got the BOI letter of approval/recommendation in hands.  Planning to go Laos "again" to change my Tourist to Non-B with only the 2-pages BOI acceptance letter.

Vientiane has issued non-b visas with a BOI letter before. They will likely issue a non-ib (I is for investment).

The are certainly familiar with the the letter. Be sure your take the original letter with you.

• Like 1

Slight deviation but in a similar context to a WP3 proxy. I am applying for a Non-B as a teacher in a language school.  

The embassy I applied to asked me for a Labour department letter. My language school which has processed numerous visas has never been asked for a Labour department letter for a Non-B application and are a bit apprehensive about it.  All their teachers got visas just based on the letter from the Educational Services department.  

I was clueless about which one it is but after much research believe it might be the WP3 approval.

Is a WP3 approval a requirement for a Non-B applying as a teacher?

More importantly, can it be issued for a language school?

10 hours ago, Respectheexperience said:

Is a WP3 approval a requirement for a Non-B applying as a teacher?

No is not a requirement. For a non-b visa application for teaching there is no requirement to have a work permit or proof of the application for one.

It is not shown as a requirement on the MFA website. See 2.4 here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

On 11/3/2018 at 7:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

No is not a requirement. For a non-b visa application for teaching there is no requirement to have a work permit or proof of the application for one.

It unfortunately didn't help my case. The embassy is still insisting on a Labour approval letter. 

Waiting on my school to get an approval letter. 

Question: Can a school file and get a WP3 approval, or is it like the BOI ?

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2018 at 7:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes they can if you are not in the country.

Which embassy wants the work permit application?

The WP3 actually worked out very well in my case. I only had to submit a medical certificate on arrival in Thailand and got my work permit sorted within the first week of arrival.

The staff at the consulate front office mentioned a lot of applicants with Non-B's have trouble with their WP application upon arrival hence they like to see the WP3 before granting the visa (even for a teaching position).

The WP3 is a Non-B requirement for all four consulates in India.  One never gets to interview/meet with the consuls. Everything is handled by VFS.