Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But it isn't harder for genuine tourists, only for the ones who claim that they are but do monthly border runs.

Genuine tourists come in for 2, 3 4 weeks etc maybe once or twice a year. The ones that are being checked on are the permanent "tourists" who cannot seem to get a longer term visa for some reason and do the border runs.

Standard attitude for people who believe because they are from UK, USA or somewhere and they believe they are so entitled to ignore or disregard the rules and regulations of any other country they think they are doing a favour by going there.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You don't seem to understand tourist visas such as Multi Entry Tourist visas where you can stay for up to 9 months, so it seems Thailand doesn't agree with your definition

Really?  Yes I do understand about METV and unlike you I took the time to refresh my memory and did a little research which you obviously didn't.

Then why are the people who are whining about being picked on not using those tourist visas?

Could this be the reason?

Is this enough information for you?

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern

Multiple Entries  (maximum stay up to 60 days per entry) 

A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application.

Visa application form completely filled out.

Two (2) recent (2 x 2 inches) photos of the applicant.

Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank.

A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy).
     - If you are self-employed, your self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand.

A photocopy of the confirmed hotel reservation in Thailand.

The £5,000 in your bank account for 6 months is around 217,500 thb at the forex rate of 43.5 thb/GBP.

A letter from your employer in the UK or your self assesment and company documentation as well.

People are whining about 20,000 baht yet IF they can comeup with this information and get a METV they won't get stopped at the Immigration will they?

Why not? Perhaps because they have a legal valid visa.

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

It is the 5K that is the killer for the scammers. 

If they don't have 460 GBP to bring into the country they certainly won't have 5,000 in the bank for 6 months or they could get a METV easily.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ah if only life was that simple

It is if you want it to be.

If you can satisfy the requirements then there is no problem.

If you can't then it is your problem and not Immigrations.

I don't understand what a problem is to carry 500 euro or pound or 600 USD in your pocket. It would be the best solution rather a desperate ATM searching in arrivals area. It sound quite stupid to me use ATM in order to withdraw cash in Thailand or anywhere abroad Not just you will get the worse exchanges rates, but you will be double charged by your home country bank and by thai local bank too.  Personally I always carried my funds in cash and I got the thai Baht at local money changer who give me the best exchanges rate. 

You are likely correct. Those expensive airfares are beyond the reach of the ne'er do well.

I guess they could just do what the extreme cheap charlies do which is just don't bother with visas, and then eventually once they've had enough of Thailand or run out of money they leave, but if they have no plans to return its an option

Really?  Yes I do understand about METV and unlike you I took the time to refresh my memory and did a little research which you obviously didn't.

Then why are the people who are whining about being picked on not using those tourist visas?

Could this be the reason?

Is this enough information for you?

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern

Multiple Entries  (maximum stay up to 60 days per entry) 

A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application.

Visa application form completely filled out.

Two (2) recent (2 x 2 inches) photos of the applicant.

Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank.

A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy).

- If you are self-employed, your self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand.

A photocopy of the confirmed hotel reservation in Thailand.

The £5,000 in your bank account for 6 months is around 217,500 thb at the forex rate of 43.5 thb/GBP.

A letter from your employer in the UK or your self assesment and company documentation as well.

People are whining about 20,000 baht yet IF they can comeup with this information and get a METV they won't get stopped at the Immigration will they?

Why not? Perhaps because they have a legal valid visa.

Do you understand the 9 month thing?

Fyi 5k isn't needed for 6 months

7 hours ago, jonclark said:

I would be curious to know if you can use the krung thai, bangkok bank phone apps which all show account balances in real time if these would be used as evidence of funds to support oneself. 

How many real tourists have thai bank accounts? I know zero.

Nothing more suspicous than a tourist who has a thai bank account lololol

18 minutes ago, roadrunner32 said:

I don't understand what a problem is to carry 500 euro or pound or 600 USD in your pocket. It would be the best solution rather a desperate ATM searching in arrivals area. It sound quite stupid to me use ATM in order to withdraw cash in Thailand or anywhere abroad Not just you will get the worse exchanges rates, but you will be double charged by your home country bank and by thai local bank too.  Personally I always carried my funds in cash and I got the thai Baht at local money changer who give me the best exchanges rate. 

What you need to do is ask around in your home country for a bank that can give u a credit or debit card that has zero fees when withdrawing abroad. 

For example "ica banken" in sweden.

One thing that hasn't yet been brought up in discussion, or within the government, is that there are different types of tourists. There are your ordinary tourists, who spend 1 to 2 weeks . They don't need a visa. Then the ones who travel around Asia more, and use the SETV visa. But there  are a lot more tourists who spend their winters here in Thailand, 3/4/5 months, getting away from the cold winters back home. Most of these are over 60, pensioners for the most part, have plenty of money to rent a nice condo, play golf and eat out every evening . They do not need an METV, and find it sometimes difficult to take border runs. Nothing in the way of visas are provided for them. Shame, as I think these are exactly the kind of " tourist" that the government wants, and needs. 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is a great idea.

When will YOU be going?

Don't forget to post the answer afterwards.

If you took the time to read and comprehend my question and my reference to "anyone at TVN", you might understand that I was referring to employees or administrators of TVN, you know, the site that is there to offer advice on Visas etc, and the also the operators of the TVN  tv news channel.   Surely, they have some clout in getting to the right people in Changwattana in order to get some specific answers to this post.  

Also, please understand that not all of us on here are located in Thailand, thus making it difficult to achieve what you are suggesting.  

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 minutes ago, geisha said:

One thing that hasn't yet been brought up in discussion, or within the government, is that there are different types of tourists. There are your ordinary tourists, who spend 1 to 2 weeks . They don't need a visa. Then the ones who travel around Asia more, and use the SETV visa. But there  are a lot more tourists who spend their winters here in Thailand, 3/4/5 months, getting away from the cold winters back home. Most of these are over 60, pensioners for the most part, have plenty of money to rent a nice condo, play golf and eat out every evening . They do not need an METV, and find it sometimes difficult to take border runs. Nothing in the way of visas are provided for them. Shame, as I think these are exactly the kind of " tourist" that the government wants, and needs. 

I'm no expert but what about a Non Imm OA. I'm a similar case to the one you describe, but do have an METV, and am sick & tired of the uncertainty of being allowed back into Thailand, I have one more entry to go on my METV and then I'll either get a Non Imm OA, or not bother and go back to Canada, then sadly instead of Thailand travel to the US or Europe for a change.

45 minutes ago, hobz said:

How many real tourists have thai bank accounts? I know zero.

Nothing more suspicous than a tourist who has a thai bank account lololol

A few years ago we could open an account with a tourist visa, without any problem it took a few minutes ... I did it when I went on vacation with all my money in my pocket and there was no security box in my hotel; A friend expat then advised me to open an account in Thailand; it is convenient for a tourist to have a Thai ATM card: no need to take too much cash on oneself, it is easy to pay in restaurants or Supermarkets ... Money can be deposited in advance for the next holiday or, once there, withdraw money from our home country account via ATM on the front of the bank and then enter the bank to deposit this money on our account ... So, yes, we can be tourist (and not make money in Thailand) but have an account in Thailand that serves as a purse!

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Exactly, I am one of them. I travel every winter to South-east Asia and visit several countries. I visit also the family of my Thai wife, but I never make a visa. Stay 30 days, go to another country and come back. But now they changed again the laws, 2 entries over land per year, which complicates the travel planning. My wife is from Khon Kaen, Isaan, so it is not far to Laos, easily done over land, faster then by plane. Stupid laws, so I must spend more money on flights or stay less in Thailand. My budget is 3000 UDS per month, so I am a quality tourist. Thai immigration and TAT are blind.

Just now, PeCeDe said:

I'll either get a Non Imm OA, or not bother and go back to Canada,

If you want an O-A visa and Canada is your country of origin you will have to return to obtain it. O-A visas are only issued in a persons country of origin or  country  of legal residence. 

2 minutes ago, AloisAmrein said:

Exactly, I am one of them. I travel every winter to South-east Asia and visit several countries. I visit also the family of my Thai wife, but I never make a visa. Stay 30 days, go to another country and come back. But now they changed again the laws, 2 entries over land per year, which complicates the travel planning. My wife is from Khon Kaen, Isaan, so it is not far to Laos, easily done over land, faster then by plane. Stupid laws, so I must spend more money on flights or stay less in Thailand. My budget is 3000 UDS per month, so I am a quality tourist. Thai immigration and TAT are blind.

Can tourists access the USA without having to navigate stupid laws?  (The answer in case you are shy --is NO) 

8 minutes ago, perthperson said:

If you want an O-A visa and Canada is your country of origin you will have to return to obtain it. O-A visas are only issued in a persons country of origin or  country  of legal residence. 

Thanks Perth, I'd forgotten that... 

5 minutes ago, AloisAmrein said:

I am not interested in Trump country.  I spend my money elsewhere.

Ok -- Tell me about other Western countries which do not have "stupid" laws associated with tourists. Which of them can be entered either with a visa exempt or with a visa on arrival by almost anyone? 

7 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Ok -- Tell me about other Western countries which do not have "stupid" laws associated with tourists. Which of them can be entered either with a visa exempt or visa on arrival by almost anyone? 

Tourists of many countries can enter Europe / Schengen without a visa and can stay up to 3 months. Even Thais can come  to Europe und move freely between countries in the Schengen countries, but they need a visa, valid 3 months. The sister of my wife has been here several times. Several nationalities outside from Europe can enter Schengen countries without visa, e.g. Brazil, Argentina. That's why Thai laws about visas and immigration are stupid. They not want people who spend money they prefer Chinese and Russians who work illegally in the country.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed, 20,000 is small beer, though I think it's pants if one produces proof of funds in Thailand in excess of that and is still refused entry.

However, I have always had that much, or more, on entry in cash and I believe it has always been a requirement, though previously unenforced.

It's at times like this that the "modern" traveler that relies on a CC is becoming a casualty of their distain for the old fashioned way of having real money.

Surely proof of funds in Thailand if one was on a tourist visa - or even an Ed visa would be slightly suspect?

I have at least $700 Benjimens every time I get off the plane in BKK while on my way to visit the motherland in Laos. I do it because I don't want to use the ATM at the airport. Besides, need spending money at NANA Plaza. Haha

3 minutes ago, AloisAmrein said:

Tourists of many countries can enter Europe / Schengen without a visa and can stay up to 3 months. Even Thais can come  to Europe und move freely between countries in the Schengen countries, but they need a visa, valid 3 months. The sister of my wife has been here several times. Several nationalities outside from Europe can enter Schengen countries without visa, e.g. Brazil, Argentina. That's why Thai laws about visas and immigration are stupid. They not want people who spend money they prefer Chinese and Russians who work illegally in the country.

Your attempt to dodge the question is noted.  Can you as a European gain visa free access to say  Australia or New Zealand ? 

Name the all the countries whose citizens , you claim, can gain visa free access to the Schengen area. Is the list as long as Thailands?  

As you seem to have a dislike of Thailand I suggest you stay well away ! 

Archived