Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Your attempt to dodge the question is noted.  Can you as a European gain visa free access to say  Australia or New Zealand ? 

Name the all the countries whose citizens , you claim, can gain visa free access to the Schengen area. Is the list as long as Thailands?  

As you seem to have a dislike of Thailand I suggest you stay well away ! 

You should read my previous posts before answering in an offensive way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

Many people today don't carry much cash. That doesn't mean they don't have access to lots of money.

30 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Ok -- Tell me about other Western countries which do not have "stupid" laws associated with tourists. Which of them can be entered either with a visa exempt or with a visa on arrival by almost anyone? 

Definately many other countries in the EU, Europe, Far West are far more restrictive, no whiming about that.

The point here is that for Thailand, even if the Thai Consulate gives you whatever type of A, B; C; D ;X ;Y; Z visa after all the scanning in your homeland, you are still at the mercy of the boy in his dark outfit behind his counter at the Airport, who can just refuse entry on any fallacious excuse. This does not happen elsewhere, where once you get your visa in your passport, no more hassling at immigration (unless an exception for a really valid and extreme reason).

• Like 2

Surely proof of funds in Thailand if one was on a tourist visa - or even an Ed visa would be slightly suspect?

Why?

Thailand in general, and Bangkok Bank in particular, welcomes customers on tourist visas to keep their money here. It can only mean you might spend it.

Just now, observer90210 said:

Definately many other countries in the EU, Europe, Far West are far more restrictive, no whiming about that.

The point here is that for Thailand, even if the Thai Consulate gives you whatever type of A, B; C; D ;X ;Y; Z visa after all the scanning in your homeland, you are still at the mercy of the boy in his dark outfit behind his counter at the Airport, who can just refuse entry on any fallacious excuse. This does not happen elsewhere, where once you get your visa in your passport, no more hassling at immigration (unless an exception for a really valid and extreme reason).

No matter which country you attempt to enter it is the Immigration Officer who makes the final decision about whether to admit you or not. Possession of a visa is not a guarantee that entry will be granted. Same the world over. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, perthperson said:

No matter which country you attempt to enter it is the Immigration Officer who makes the final decision about whether to admit you or not. Possession of a visa is not a guarantee that entry will be granted. Same the world over. 

Yes, but it is not applied on a basis of a highly mysterious profiling, that has suddenly emerged in our favorite playground!:cheesy:

Edited by observer90210

Yes, but it is not applied on a basis of a highly mysterious profiling, that has suddenly emerged in our favorite playground!

You must be naive if you believe that "mysterious profiling" is not undertaken by all countries. It might not be Politically Correct to admit such processes but such tactics are employed everywhere. It starts in many places with APIS and 'targets' mysteriously find they are denied boarding! 

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

You must be naive if you believe that "mysterious profiling" is not undertaken by all countries. It might not be Politically Correct to admit such processes but such tactics are employed everywhere. It starts in many places with APIS and 'targets' mysteriously find they are denied boarding! 

We could obviously bat and bowl on this till late, my dear fellow....allow me to take the intelligent path to conclude with your distinguished lines, and just hope that you do not run into any such unpleasant issue during your sojourns in Thailand!:welcomeani:

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Behind the internet, everybody is legal:cheesy:...and legal or not, you still remain a farang!

With respect you do not know if I am a  "farang" or not !  I might be from China or some other exotic non-farang place 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

With respect you do not know if I am a  "farang" or not !  I might be from China or some other exotic non-farang place 

With equal respect, may I suggest in that case you change your nick from PP to Shanghaiperson? or PekingDuck or similar to avoid such confusions in the future...:sleep:

12 hours ago, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

You don't see anything "onerous" about a surprise requirement to show that much cash, even if you have bank or other financial statements?!   You are one hard dude to impress!

And stop nattering about lifestyle and extravagance.  You've never heard of credit or debit cards?   Well since you apparently haven't, trust me, they definitely have heard of them in Thailand!

The time to make tourists aware of this requirement is upon issuing the visa, NOT when showing up at the immigration counter.   Duh!

Yet another case of fire, aim, ready...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

With equal respect, may I suggest in that case you change your nick from PP to Shanghaiperson? or PekingDuck or similar to avoid such confusions in the future...:sleep:

Are you not aware of the significant population of non-farang persons in Perth? 

Edited by perthperson
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

You don't see anything "onerous" about a surprise requirement to show that much cash, even if you have bank or other financial statements?!   You are one hard dude to impress!

And stop nattering about lifestyle and extravagance.  You've never heard of credit or debit cards?   Well since you apparently haven't, trust me, they definitely have heard of them in Thailand!

The time to make tourists aware of this requirement is upon issuing the visa, NOT when showing up at the immigration counter.   Duh!

Yet another case of fire, aim, ready...

but what if the tourist is exempt from asking a visa beforehand, under the benefit of the VOA scheme, issued at the immigration counter?

4 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Are you not aware of the significant population of non-frang persons in Perth? 

Not really...

But you seem a bit confused...we are talking farang and Thailand here, assorted with a nick that leads to believe you are a farang in Thailand and not on the issue of non farangs in Perth... but whatever...I'm sure you have a point. Good Night.

Edited by observer90210

but what if the tourist is exempt from asking a visa beforehand, under the benefit of the VOA scheme, issued at the immigration counter?

Good question.  I think you're talking about visa-exempt, not visa-on-arrival.  'Not the same thing.   OK then,  in the case of those flying in, let the airlines handle it the way they handle travelers without visas at check-in and have them at least advise if not actually check for the cash just as they check for the onward ticketing.   In the case of the border checkpoints, erect some hard-to-miss signage advising of the requirement before you get in line so that if you don't have the cash, you can go get the cash and then return to the border.

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

VOAs are only available to citizens of countries listed below, cost 2000Bht  and give a max of a 15 day stay. 

Thailand Visa on Arrival
List of countries eligible for the Visa on Arrival:

1. Andorra
  2. Bulgaria
  3. Bhutan
  4. China
  5. Cyprus
  6. Ethiopia
  7. India
  8. Kazakhstan
  9. Latvia
  10. Lithuania
  11. Maldives
  12. Malta
  13. Mauritius
  14. Romania
  15. San Marino
  16. Saudi Arabia
  17. Taiwan
  18. Ukraine
  19. Uzbekistan
Edited by perthperson
correction of typo

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

Good question.  I think you're talking about visa-exempt, not visa-on-arrival.  'Not the same thing.   OK then,  in the case of those flying in, let the airlines handle it the way they handle travelers without visas at check-in and have them at least advise if not actually check for the cash just as they check for the onward ticketing.   In the case of the border checkpoints, erect some hard-to-miss signage advising of the requirement before you get in line so that if you don't have the cash, you can go get the cash and then return to the border.

Yes, thanks for the very sensible answer, my mistake...as you very smartly understood, it was Visa Exempt I was refering....you have a good point in suggesting the Airlines to advise passengers and it could be enforced during the on line purchase for instance.....

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

That is true, but typically once you get a visa for entry (which may require providing documentation such as bank statements) those requirements that you were required to provide the embassy are not part of the query that may result you being blocked entry at the border.  What the border typically checks is things that are not available at the embassy/consulate when applying for a visa.  Things such as criminal records which may block you from entry, blacklisting, terrorist watch list etc. (also all things that the individual should already be aware of because if they were deported after a crime they would have been told they are persona-non-grata).  Or potentially a hard limit on the number of days allowed per year on a tourist visa (but that is not the case here because that is not what is implemented).

When you go to apply for a visa at the embassy they check these financial requirements.... if you don't have an onward ticket they require that you provide the documentation (bank book - recently updated with transactions) to prove you have the money available.  As such this requirement should not be a reason for refusal at the border, but former blacklisting would.  

Financial requirements for entry of visa waivers should of course be checked on entry and would be a valid reason for refusal of entry.

Some people seem to be going overboard with the back flips with regards to defending a policy that is both logically flawed, the goal of what they are stating for doing this action does not in any way match what the policy actually does.  I don't expect to be exempt from such requirements, but I expect consistency.  If you are required to provide proof to the embassy of financial resources and you are not allowed to use cash as proof -- you must provide a bank book.... I expect that proof to be accepted at border in the same manner. 

If someone is working illegally they are more likely to have cash in hand -- and less likely to have cash in the bank.  Then of course if you are a transnational criminal, it is more likely you have a wad of cash in hand -- more than enough to grease the wheels.

If the requirement needs to be updated, if 20,000 baht is not sufficient - so be it... but that requirement should already have been checked for tourist visa holders (but not for visa waivers).

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JAG said:

" People trying to enter with history of tourist visa entries appear to be the ones under the most amount of scrutiny. ED visa holders also are also the subject of similar scrutiny."

Hardly surprising is it?

That is what Type O and B Non Immigrant visas are for.

So, if I have a non immigrant O, then the 20k does not apply? I was going to forgo getting Baht at my stateside bank and just get some when I arrive.

Just checked the LA Consulate-General website to see if there was any mention at all of this THB20K requirement.  As expected, none (unless tucked away on one of the supposedly "English" pages that are actually in Thai as they have been for years, lol).  Then again, I don't think the website has been updated since they went to the METV (and mentions/references to the double- and triple-entry visas still exist here & there on the site).

2 minutes ago, XBroker said:

So, if I have a non immigrant O, then the 20k does not apply? I was going to forgo getting Baht at my stateside bank and just get some when I arrive.

I suspect the IOs are mainly interested in tourist-visa and tourist-visa exempt arrivals (with a history of same), but whether the regulation they're enforcing is specifically limited to them I don't know.  But in any case you don't have to have the cash in Thai baht.  As long as it's equivalent to THB20,000, any currency will supposedly do.  No need to go trying to exchange dollars for baht back in the states.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I suspect the IOs are mainly interested in tourist-visa and tourist-visa exempt arrivals (with a history of same), but whether the regulation they're enforcing is specifically limited to them I don't know.  But in any case you don't have to have the cash in Thai baht.  As long as it's equivalent to THB20,000, any currency will supposedly do.  No need to go trying to exchange dollars for baht back in the states.

Thank you. I was going to amend that to include, what if I have 1k in U.S. cash. I also imagine lay over stops have money changing places as well. From some of the vids I've seen. First time for me in Se Asia.

Edited by XBroker

Just now, XBroker said:

Thank you. I was going to amend that to include, what if I have 1k in U.S. cash.

But the one thing I DON'T think you should count on being able to do is visit an ATM to get cash if they ask for it and you don't already have it...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Who hops on an international flight with less than 20,000 baht in hard currency hidden away in case their ATM card gets eaten, their wallet gets stolen, or any one of a hundred other scenarios where USD, GBP, or Euro's are the only solution?

Most people who are less than 50 years old. Our younger have multiple debit/credit cards and can get emergency help from our banks.

1 minute ago, 11223344 said:

Most people who are less than 50 years old. Our younger have multiple debit/credit cards and can get emergency help from our banks.

'Don't think "younger" are any more likely - probably less in fact - to be carrying cash than those over 50, unless maybe traveling with wife & kids.  This cash requirement is ill thought-out and capricious, and earning Thailand yet more ridicule in the social media, yet is brought about by those who've been flouting the rules by using tourist visas, ED visas, and abusing visa-exempt to remain in the country indefinitely.  Those, and illegal workers of course, are who the IOs are actually gunning for - the rest are just caught in the same net.