'Time to get to work': Brexit negotiators start first round

webfact

'Time to get to work': Brexit negotiators start first round

tag-reuters.jpg

Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis leaves Downing Street, London, Britain July 11, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The British and EU Brexit negotiators met on Monday, pledging to "get down to work" in a first full round of talks on Britain's divorce terms from the European Union.

"We made a good start last month but we are now getting into the substance of the matter," British Brexit Secretary David Davis told reporters as he was welcomed at the European Commission in Brussels by the EU negotiator Michel Barnier.

"For us, it's incredibly important we now make good progress," added Davis, who held a first day of talks a month ago to agree an agenda, a year after Britons vote to leave the EU. "Now it's time to get down to work and to make this a successful negotiation," he added.

Barnier said: "We will now delve into the heart of the matter. We need to examine and compare our respective positions in order to make good progress."

Both men declined further comment, with Barnier saying they would brief the media on Thursday after their teams have spent four days tackling a range of priority issues.

(Reporting by Alastair Macdonald; @macdonaldrtr; editing by Philip Blenkinsop)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-17

For the first time last week Blair said something I could agree with him on.

Basically had the EU agreed to reform of the "freedom of movement" then we and Europe would not be in this mess.

It only needed tweaking, one had freedom of movement to work in a job that was above the minimum wage, or were able support themselves, any benefits should come from their own country until they had being paying tax for a fixed time.

I see that as not being just in the UK's interest...

Never thought I would agree with Blair on anything but I have to say begrudgingly so now.  Still think he should be hung by his b*lls though!

However don't expect the Brexiteers to consider this as an option, they are too scared their Brexit vote might be overturned.