Big Flying Insect

Shoeless Joe

One of these flew into the house this morning, it made me jump I can tell you!      :shock1:

Wingspan about 4" and about 4" long when it fluttered its wings it was bright red by the body on both sides. I released it onto some grass where it seemed happy before flying off.

Anyone know what it is?

Regards,

Joe

PS: This is NOT a picture of ME with said insect....555

big bug.jpg

Edited by Shoeless Joe
typo

I had one a few weeks ago on my pond wall.

this one was dead, hence the close ups.

i can only imagine it flew straight into a timber post and knocked itself out as there were no signs of an attack from something bigger

DSC_0589.thumb.JPG.dc106661ae7f4fcc6d2a0804107375da.JPG

looks a Cicada

the second one looks a type of locust

EDIT:

is this it?

Image result for Cicada a Cicada

now, to test your memory -  have you recently heard a high frequency screech coming from the trees?

(It might not be Tinitus after all)

they're much louder in the flesh than in some Youtube

Edited by tifino

You call that big...?  Check out the atlas moth (which is the inspiration for 'Mothra' from the old Japanese monster movies) my daughter caught last week ( I told her not to put it on her head, so she put it on her head):

image.jpg

Edited by flare

Did you know that cicadas spend a lot of their life under ground. Depending on species between 2 to 17 years!

We use to get swarms of them back in NZ in the summer months. Pretty harmless but a bit noisy.... they shed their exoskeleton  which you can find still clinging to trees.

One weird bug!

The first time I drove down to the south of France, I left the motorway and joined a minor road. It was blistering hot and I wound down the window only to be met by the sound of what I thought was a puncture in one of my tyres. Got out and realised that it was the sound of the Cicadas...