Transportation In Pattaya

midas

I'm moving from Bangkok to Pattaya in a couple of months. one thing

I was wondering was about transportation. I have only ever visited

Pattaya with relatively light luggage so could rely on the blue

taxi trucks that you just hop on and off as you need. can anyone tell me

if there are proper taxi's -for example if I wanted to travel from my

condo either to catch the new airport bus or even to the new Bangkok airport

with a heavy suitcase, are there any taxi services ?

There are no Taxis in Pattaya, like you are used from Bangkok. The Sangthew (Bahtbus) is the Taxi in Pattaya. But you can charter one just for you, if you want to go to the Busstation, this cost you more than if you share the Sangthew, but he will bring you direct to the Busstation. They have the exclusive Right of privat public Transport (given by the Bahtbus Mafia) in Pattaya :o Price will be around 100 Baht, more ore less depending of the Distance.

Differently, if you want to travel by Taxi to the Airport or Bangkok. There are Places all over Pattaya where you can book a proper Taxi or a Limousine. They will pick you up at your Place and bring you direct to the Airport or Bangkok. Prices are more or less fixed.

Enjoy your stay in Pattaya.

When wlking round Pattaya you will find dozens of little kiosks advertising taxis. These are really private saloon cars. Pick up business cards at each, note the phone numbers on your mobile and you will find that the person at the other end will almost always speak good English. Short journeys or long - within Pattaya or going to airport, Nong Nooch, Sri Racha Zoo, Sattahip, doesn't matter. They will quote a prce and you can take it or leave it.

I find it's better than buying my own car.

I live in Jomtien without a car close to the baht bus routes. Overall, not usually a major problem.

For shopping, there are baht bus taxis (overcharging) waiting at shopping malls such as Tesco and Carrefour.

However, I strongly feel the area needs a fleet of Bangkok style taxi meters. There are so many times when it would be convenient or even necessary to hail a cab. For example, for a medical appointment at Bangkok Pattaya hospital or to make a dinner reservation in a timely manner, or whenever you need to go somewhere off the main baht bus routes. The baht bus mafia is a scourge on Pattaya. Yes, indeed, why do so many expats and Thais feel the need to own cars and motos? Because they only have the baht bus mafia to handle their transport is why. A fleet of taxis on the streets would overall REDUCE the number of vehicles on the streets, or at the very least, slow the growth.

If it EVER happens that Bangkok style taxi meters are allowed in Pattaya, that will the day when there is a clear sign that mafia style corruption is really being addressed in Thailand. (Don't hold your breath!)

As long as I am dreaming, how about a skytrain type mass transit route from far out Jomtien to North Pattaya, close to the beach? Talk about reducing street traffic and pollution. Pattaya is now a major city but has the infrastructure of a village.

Edited by Jingthing

I live in Jomtien without a car close to the baht bus routes. Overall, not usually a major problem.

For shopping, there are baht bus taxis (overcharging) waiting at shopping malls such as Tesco and Carrefour.

However, I strongly feel the area needs a fleet of Bangkok style taxi meters. There are so many times when it would be convenient or even necessary to hail a cab. For example, for a medical appointment at Bangkok Pattaya hospital or to make a dinner reservation in a timely manner, or whenever you need to go somewhere off the main baht bus routes. The baht bus mafia is a scourge on Pattaya. Yes, indeed, why do so many expats and Thais feel the need to own cars and motos? Because they only have the baht bus mafia to handle their transport is why. A fleet of taxis on the streets would overall REDUCE the number of vehicles on the streets, or at the very least, slow the growth.

If it EVER happens that Bangkok style taxi meters are allowed in Pattaya, that will the day when there is a clear sign that mafia style corruption is really being addressed in Thailand. (Don't hold your breath!)

As long as I am dreaming, how about a skytrain type mass transit route from far out Jomtien to North Pattaya, close to the beach? Talk about reducing street traffic and pollution. Pattaya is now a major city but has the infrastructure of a village.

A simple way to start would be to allow the Bangkok taxies, who are down here waiting for a fare to the Airport or back to Bangkok, to pick up passengers using their meters. There would obviously be some problems such as drivers not knowing the area too well (maps might help) etc. But it would be useful to run a trial to guage demand.

Cynical old me feels that the baht bus drivers (who run the City) will not allow the authorities to do this.

When wlking round Pattaya you will find dozens of little kiosks advertising taxis. These are really private saloon cars. Pick up business cards at each, note the phone numbers on your mobile and you will find that the person at the other end will almost always speak good English. Short journeys or long - within Pattaya or going to airport, Nong Nooch, Sri Racha Zoo, Sattahip, doesn't matter. They will quote a prce and you can take it or leave it.

I find it's better than buying my own car.

At the moment I am using Ann for 3 hour shopping trips within Pattaya. She advertises new cars but they're not but mai pen rai. This morning she sent an old clunker with no seat belts but nice driver. We went as far south as Le Royal (do you want to know my impressions?) and as far north as Mr. Paint on Sukhumvit. B400 for 3 hours. Not bad. Of course, a lot of the time he was sitting still at le Royal. Tel 086-7951181, 086-0061618, 086-3747274, 085-9995607.

Everyone I know living in Pattaya has a car (and motorcycle). Unless you live right on one of the Songteaw routes not sure how you could survive without one. :o

TH

I do not live full-time in Pattaya, as I work abroad, but when at home I walk a ouple of kilometres to Tuk.com to catch baht busses and usually walk the length of Soi 17 to get back home in Suksabai. My wife uses a motor-bike, but unless it is raining ans I need to go out, then Shanks' pony is my preferred method of transport.

Walking to Tesco or Big C (Pattaya Tai) is no problem, but obviously I use a sawng thaew to get back with the weeks groceries.

In a couple of years, when (if) I retire, then I may buy a car, but that will be for touring Thailand as much as for local trips.

And I do use the private taxis for going to Pattaya Nua if I have to conduct business, also for trips out with the family. Sometimes I rent a car for the fortnight or so that I am home, but I don't find this cost effective if our daughter is at school during the week.

Everyone I know living in Pattaya has a car (and motorcycle). Unless you live right on one of the Songteaw routes not sure how you could survive without one. :o

TH

How does having a car or a motorcycle help if you're leaving for a long overseas trip ? :D

My question related to journeys to the airport or airport bus terminal - you are hardly

going to dump your vehicle there for weeks on end are you ? :D

The baht bus mafia is a scourge on Pattaya. Yes, indeed, why do so many expats and Thais feel the need to own cars and motos? Because they only have the baht bus mafia to handle their transport is why. A fleet of taxis on the streets would overall REDUCE the number of vehicles on the streets, or at the very least, slow the growth.

I own a condo in Jomtien but continue to live in a rented apartment in Bangkok simply because of the hassle using baht buses. I do not own a car, nor do I wish to, and lugging parcels on and off the bahtmobiles can be strenuous and frustrating. Also the drivers tend to be rude and often one must share a long ride with drunken farang. I enjoy a beautiful and quiet part of Bangkok, close to everything, and taxis lined up for my convenience when I need them.

It's really too bad about the bahtmobile mafia. I know many people who feel as I do.

The baht bus mafia is a scourge on Pattaya. Yes, indeed, why do so many expats and Thais feel the need to own cars and motos? Because they only have the baht bus mafia to handle their transport is why. A fleet of taxis on the streets would overall REDUCE the number of vehicles on the streets, or at the very least, slow the growth.

I own a condo in Jomtien but continue to live in a rented apartment in Bangkok simply because of the hassle using baht buses. I do not own a car, nor do I wish to, and lugging parcels on and off the bahtmobiles can be strenuous and frustrating. Also the drivers tend to be rude and often one must share a long ride with drunken farang. I enjoy a beautiful and quiet part of Bangkok, close to everything, and taxis lined up for my convenience when I need them.

It's really too bad about the bahtmobile mafia. I know many people who feel as I do.

Yes, I agree, many do feel the same way.

I am new in Thailand but still of course know that farangs have no say in Thai politics or policies.

However, Pattaya as everyone says, is in some ways not a typical Thai place, so I want to ask if there are any old Thai hands here who have an opinion on whether there is anything farangs can do to fight the potentially violent baht bus mafia in Pattaya? I can't imagine there is, certainly without risking your life, but wondered if anyone had any idea. Pattaya continues to attract thousands of foreign expats who are making it their new home. But it is a very flawed home. Those considering moving here, be warned.

BTW, overall I think Pattaya has alot to offer, and yes, beyond the famous night life. However, the transport situation is truly disgusting if you don't own a vehicle (or wish to). Short term tourists wouldn't really know this or really care.

Edited by Jingthing