Nate apologises for railway-track coin prank and may face charges

webfact

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

As has already been mentioned, the Lese Majeste laws in Thailand include foreign Monarchs and their immediate family.  If Nate used a British coin with a picture of HM Queen Elizabeth, then he has - according to Thai Law - committed LM.

nothing  like enforcing your  vile rules on other peoples relatively sane countries eh ( ps  dont mean u personally Simon)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes many of us did it back home. My favourite was the old English penny; finished up as big as a saucer!! Then we took them to Barking Creek and skimmed then across the river.

Surely the train has to be going quite fast to flatten coins.

Up here in the outer sticks the trains only move at 5/6 K per hour (if that). Plenty slow enough for the driver to stop and go pick up the coins or even even jump off, run in front, pick them up and jump back on when the train catches him up.

"Surely the train has to be going quite fast to flatten coins"

If the coin was the size of a beach ball then speed would make a difference. For a coin, it's more a case of rolling over it than colliding with it so it's the weight that counts.

8 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Pretty spiffy suit.

Better dressed than most English teachers :)

How many teachers back home wear suits? Even when I was in school, my teachers never wore suits. Just another cheap shot at English teachers. Feel better about yourself now? 

Just now, catman20 said:

how old is this prxk ? his behavior is of a 13 years old 

Well, he's making content to entertain over 3 million Thais and counting. What did you expect?

Under the labour law there are many items categorised that are not seen as work and one only need a valid visa that allow to work. A valid Visa based for example on a Non B or a Non O.

So what is the news?

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

doubt those coins caused that; we used to do this as kids in usa and it never harmed anything except the coins

did you check the wheels ?

Every force has a counter force.

you think the force needed to flatten the coins comes from nowhere ?

43 minutes ago, CLW said:

I think your friends main income is (amateur) modelling.
Or in Thai being a "pretty"

Yes it is, but my point was she gets paid a lot because she has over 13 thousand instagram followers.    Nate has far far more followers so it stand to reason he must be earning significantly more than my friend (who so far this year has bought a new BMW, a new Ducati and a new house in Bangkok.  She's currently in Florence, Italy, but has been to London twice this year and Hollywood twice this year also, as well as a few other countries).

I'm just trying to get some of the older members to understand that social media is so huge now that anyone with the right angle (or looks) can potentially make millions of baht if they put in the effort.

So he has a work permit to work in Thailand uploading youtube videos in doubt it. Whats the new law say about doing a different job from what your work permit says?

Also I can't believe there was a press conference for this talk about a waste of money and police time. This will just make the little twerp even more famous. I seriously hate the fool he really make my blood boil.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Does Thailand really need to issue a visa and WP to some nonse like this,which negatively affects the good standing of the rest of us. Let him go back home and do it there, maybe its more appreciated there,

I am certain he doesn't have a work permit to upload YouTube videos. Which means he is breaking the new regulations. I also just read on a different Thread about someone who wants to paint pictures and sell them the advice they got was she can't get a work permit with a employer. Unless she opens a Thai company and employees 4 Thai people I imagine this is the same for a youtuber. So I suppect he is breaking at least one law regarding working in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I am certain he doesn't have a work permit to upload YouTube videos. Which means he is breaking the new regulations. I also just read on a different Thread about someone who wants to paint pictures and sell them the advice they got was she can't get a work permit with a employer. Unless she opens a Thai company and employees 4 Thai people I imagine this is the same for a youtuber. So I suppect he is breaking at least one law regarding working in Thailand.

so are you basing this on anything stronger than supposition?

i didnt think so.

The usual over the top responses from the usual suspects. The guy has found the perfect way to make money in Thailand and to stay legit. He has hurt nor injured anyone other than a few moral compasses which are spinning out of control trying to find North.

Yeah I sure that fish he froze In liquid nitrogen is haveing a right laugh about it now.

I really couldn't care less what this guy gets up to (bar the cat and the scorpion incident which I didn't like).

There is a silver lining in this story though - 'Farangs' and Thais who have so much shared vitriol for this guy merely 'cos he's foreign and somewhat successful. Finally they are uniting through xenophobia and self-loathing. 

It's not because he is foreign or successful its because he successful at being a annoying obnoxious (insert obvious word here).

Dont understand why these expats are saying people are.jealous

Etc. 

The guys a jerk. He goes to kids at a college and makes fun of their english. Flash freezes a fish. Puts a scorpion with a cat. 

This is thailand and the acts against an animal are a big deal. As well as we all know the english isnt great but dont rub their face in it. I would think anyone like this is a pos. 

At the end of the day all this generalizes over to how thais think about westerners whether it is right, wrong, or whatever. If you do social media as a job in another country you have a responsibility and he is not taking this seriously. 

7 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

The SRT is yet another Thai bureaucracy to place itself if front of the world as a complete laughing stock.   How many tons of steel vs a 10 gram flat piece of metal??? In my childhood, I didn't know too many kids who hadn't flatten coins on rail tracks.  

This is utter nonsense.  The SRT would better spend their time monitoring the safety of their sub-standard tracks.  A coin is not going to derail a train; poor maintenance will.  

I f you allow me, its possible since he has hundred of thousands of young Thais following his videos, chances are some will try to do the same, putting themselves in danger playing on the railway track. 

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Advertising to Thais is huge money.  

I have a Thai friend who gets paid to pose with products on her Instagram account.   She travels all over the world doing it and makes a lot more money than you'd ever guess.   You can find her on Instagram by searching for Looknut Maxim 

As for Nate, he made enough to buy a new convertible Mercedes earlier this year.  Not bad for someone who's only 23.    Almost 4 million views on that video alone.

That video was a prank on his viewers. If you fast-forward to 09:36 he reveals the car was only hired and he didn't buy it because he can't afford a car that expensive.

so are you basing this on anything stronger than supposition?

i didnt think so.

I am basing it on the fact that there is no work permit for uploading youtube videos. Or that you can't do work different from what your work permit says. Anyway since I wrote that post it turns out he has a business visa and someone else pointed out that means taking part in business meatings and such. Not uploading youtube videos.

1 minute ago, katana said:

That video was a prank on his viewers. If you fast-forward to 09:36 he reveals the car was only hired and he didn't buy it because he can't afford a car that expensive.

Ah the same as the one where he pranked his girlfriend into thinking he'd bought her a Porsche.

I don't speak Thai so had no idea what he was saying.    If there is one thing that annoys me about him it is that he doesn't do bilingual videos so I can enjoy them more.

I still stand by my assertion that he's making serious bank doing these videos.

4 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I am basing it on the fact that there is no work permit for uploading youtube videos. Or that you can't do work different from what your work permit says. Anyway since I wrote that post it turns out he has a business visa and someone else pointed out that means taking part in business meatings and such. Not uploading youtube videos.

has youtube been established as work?

please show me where that has been established?

42 minutes ago, juice777 said:

It's not because he is foreign or successful its because he successful at being a annoying obnoxious (insert obvious word here).

Sure, he's annoying. But what does that mean in the grand scheme of things? He's best just ignored. 

Would love to see a story about Thai netizens being outraged by the Red Bull guy and people signing a petition to have the chief of police fired, etc. 

Sure, he's annoying. But what does that mean in the grand scheme of things? He's best just ignored. 

Would love to see a story about Thai netizens being outraged by the Red Bull guy and people signing a petition to have the chief of police fired, etc. 

Correct, just ignore him, don't even look at his videos, I've never seen one, and never wanted to.
He's not daft, the more publicity he gets, the more money he will make.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Heaven FORBID that you have any success in Thailand.

While I agree that he's a <deleted>'er, I have nothing against him.

Just an idiot kid is all.....And weren't we all at some point?

We just had the good fortune that Youtube didn't exist. I'm 50 BTW.

haha stole my thunder with that one. I did a few things that I wouldn't want certain people to know about... My biggest surprise looking at video's today was the massive investment required - crowds of top brass convening and walking around outside to recreate the murder scene is replaced with bigger crowds recreating a squished coin tragedy.  Strangely, this is so much fun that my son had the chance to buy a coin and have it rollered into a kind of tin badge... maybe the owner of this business is pushing for a result.

There were dozens of top brass officials involved, panel interviews in front of TV cameras - the works. This guy's being treated more seriously than the guy they don't want us thinking about - you know, the one that mows police down and drags them around under his Ferrari and is then allowed to take luxury holidays around the world while they sort out paperwork...

Really over the top here - whatever I thought of Nate now is replaced by horror at the overpowering image of Authoritarianism smashing a single cockroach with a nuclear war.

The big issue of coins damaging train tracks is pretty laughable, and as for trespassing - I can't imagine they'd have thought of it themselves without a few hours behind closed doors brainstorming in front of a whiteboard 'Trumping up charges'.

Major Crisis???

It's becoming a major crisis - yes. Criminalising a minor prankster and wasting a whole lot of resources that could be better employed catching bad drivers.

Edited by ben2talk

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I f you allow me, its possible since he has hundred of thousands of young Thais following his videos, chances are some will try to do the same, putting themselves in danger playing on the railway track. 

Very true Railways are an extremely dangerous environment to be in for the untrained

Edited by Dave67

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Ah the same as the one where he pranked his girlfriend into thinking he'd bought her a Porsche.

I don't speak Thai so had no idea what he was saying.    If there is one thing that annoys me about him it is that he doesn't do bilingual videos so I can enjoy them more.

I still stand by my assertion that he's making serious bank doing these videos.

he's making bank, but NOT millions...

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

So he has a work permit to work in Thailand uploading youtube videos in doubt it. Whats the new law say about doing a different job from what your work permit says?

Also I can't believe there was a press conference for this talk about a waste of money and police time. This will just make the little twerp even more famous. I seriously hate the fool he really make my blood boil.

he does NOT have a work permit, just a non-b visa