Working on a Tr visa

I am currently working on North eastern Thailand on a tourist visa that's valid until 26 july July and I have been in Thailand for two months now just started working as a teacher.my school has never employed a foreigner before.kindly help me on what to do for I fear an overstay and my school is a municipal school very slow on decision making.

39 minutes ago, buick said:

is 26 july the end of your initial 60 day entry ?  or did you already get the 30 day extension at your local immigration office ? (effectively giving you 90 days in country).

if you've already got the extension, sounds like you need to go to laos and get a new tourist visa from a thai consulate there.

edit:  by the way, i commend the OP for not using the usual 'i have friend who'

26th july is the end of my 60days so I can get an extra 30days on the same visa.what do I need to apply for an extension and can I do it at the provincial immigration office im almost 400kms from bangkok

4 minutes ago, jnrdekinyua said:

26th july is the end of my 60days so I can get an extra 30days on the same visa.what do I need to apply for an extension and can I do it at the provincial immigration office im almost 400kms from bangkok

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry for a fee of 1900 baht. It can be done at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the application form.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chippendale said:

the desire to avoid paying taxes to a venal kleptocracy,

As opposed to a benign kleptocracy?

I seriously doubt many who break the law have such supposedly  lofty motivation. Do these modern day Robin Hoods donate their tax-free savings to charitable causes or just add an extra case of Chang to the weekly shopping?

• Like 2

We all are grown ups (supposedly lol). We all take responsibility for the actions we take in life. We are all diffrent therefore it follows we all look at the risks we take diffrently. Some see freefall/base jumping as an extremley dangerous pursuit. Some see working on a non working visa as serious and dangerous. Others see the same as non dangerous and invigorating. Taking certain steps before doing anything reduces any risks to any activity. In other words whats good for one is not good for another. However if you bring an illegal activity to the thai visa table and ask people to eat and coment on said activity be prepared to be villified. 

Keep your own council is best advise. In the op's case i would have asked how and what i need to do to be able to teach here as ive been offered a job,  but at the moment im on a TR visa. Then advise would stream your way without the vilification.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jnrdekinyua said:

what do I need to apply for an extension

you need the following (someone help me out if i've missed something):

TM7 form

photo

copy of passport pages (personal info page, entry stamp page, visa page)

copy of TM6 (your arrival/departure card)

it is a standard process.  very rare for someone to be refused.  some offices are busier than others so not sure how long it might take. 

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I hope all the illegal teachers get deported as their is no control what so ever that they aren't convicted of being a sex offender.

No words. Lets tar all with the same brush eh.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

If you want to work, you need a Non-B Visa, a work permit, and an eventual extension by reason of employment for the duration of your contract. No ifs and or buts about it. If you are caught working illegally, you will likely be detained (imprisoned), fined, deported, and blacklisted from re-entering Thailand.

Tell your school if they cannot make you legal, there are many schools that will.Do NOT continue to violate the laws.

Are you quite sure the extension of permission to stay is a requirement?

I know plenty of people here with WP's and multi-entry non-imm visas working legally who just exit every 90 days.

Be very careful how you go about the process already outlined above.

Do not talk about your previous working.

I have just returned from Immigration yesterday & they are tightening the screws.

Do not listen to ones above that say "Don't worry about being legal" The Labour Dept are getting tough

as well. Go & get legal, it is not difficult & I am sure if you are a good teacher your school will help you.

On the salary you are getting tax will be minimal & you should feel good about paying it as you would pay in your home country.

35 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I hope all the illegal teachers get deported as their is no control what so ever that they aren't convicted of being a sex offender.

Give the rather poor standards that the Thai police employ for background checks there is no guarantee that the legal ones aren't either.  On that basis shouldn't all the legal teachers be deported as well? 

32 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Are you quite sure the extension of permission to stay is a requirement?

I know plenty of people here with WP's and multi-entry non-imm visas working legally who just exit every 90 days.

Agree with you, I don't think it is a requirement.

However, I do think that the Thai government has meant that continuous stays should be on extension of stay rather than ME visa, so it would not surprise me if they start looking at that in the future.

I know getting visas and stuff can be a bot of a hassle, but there are rules and laws. I do not understand people coming to Thailand, or any other country, who fail to get the right visas. You are working illegally and you know the saying....if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Agree with you, I don't think it is a requirement.

However, I do think that the Thai government has meant that continuous stays should be on extension of stay rather than ME visa, so it would not surprise me if they start looking at that in the future.

You are right. The system is designed so that someone living and working in the country extends their permit to stay, and the ME visa is for people living abroad that visit frequently for work. Fortunately it is generally not enforced and living/working using a ME visa is tolerated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Fortunately it is generally not enforced and living/working using a ME visa is tolerated.

Normally those who are working here full time and using a ME Non B visa to do so, cannot meet the requirements for an extension of stay based on working, either due to low salary or the employer cannot provide sufficient documentation.

Makes no sense to work here on a ME visa long term, both for the employer and the employee, unless you have to!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1