How long is the "Letter of Residence" good for?

giddyup

I'll be renewing my Thai drivers licence shortly and I know I need to obtain the Letter of Residence from immigration first, but because I'm colour blind I may need several attempts at the colour test before I pass. Wondering how long will the Transport Dept accept that letter before it becomes invalid?

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, juehoe said:

You can make the test several times that day. In most cases, documents are valid for about a month. Many things are dependent from the local officials

I would imagine it would depend on how many are also doing the test that day before I can do it "several times".

At the risk of rocking the boat, there's always the tried and tested 'extra consideration' method of obtaining or renewing a Thai DL that will obviate the need to pass the color blind test and most definitely will result in the granting of a Thai DL well before the end of any given day and certainly before any implied 'statute of limitations' apply to the Immigration letter.

Good luck sir!

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

At the risk of rocking the boat, there's always the tried and tested 'extra consideration' method of obtaining or renewing a Thai DL that will obviate the need to pass the color blind test and most definitely will result in the granting of a Thai DL well before the end of any given day and certainly before any implied 'statute of limitations' apply to the Immigration letter.

Good luck sir!

Perhaps you can PM me as to what this "extra consideration" method might be. If it involves so called "tea money" I very much doubt if that's possible at Pattaya transport office.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Good luck sir!

Still waiting for clarification.

Still waiting for clarification.

The rest are made in groups. I enjoyed them 2 times already. You have always time to try several times.

For the validity of the documents ask the local officials.

When I got my license at Pathum Thani DLT some old Thai guy was struggling with the colour test, after 2 failed attempts they allowed his wife to stand next to him and " prompt " him !

I hope you might be afforded the same courtesy.

Good luck !

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I got my license at Pathum Thani DLT some old Thai guy was struggling with the colour test, after 2 failed attempts they allowed his wife to stand next to him and " prompt " him !

I hope you might be afforded the same courtesy.

Good luck !

The tester heard my missus prompting me last time and threatened to fail me if she continued, but I did get a pass.

24 minutes ago, juehoe said:

The rest are made in groups. I enjoyed them 2 times already. You have always time to try several times.

For the validity of the documents ask the local officials.

I was waiting for clarification from NanLaew.

On 19/07/2017 at 1:04 AM, giddyup said:

Wondering how long will the Transport Dept accept that letter before it becomes invalid?

Not exactly related but i went to get a new letter of residence from immigration where they stated 'why didn't you use old one'? I did not answer that it was no longer valid because he was talking to my GF while i sat like a vegetable. He then printed out a piece of paper, nothing like the original, and told her this was very important, don't lose it (no cost). I can only assume he thought i had lost the original

I was still using it over a year later as my letter of residence without any problem

I would love to know what it is if anyone has any ideas what it is. i cannot show it on here as its in Thailand and i am not there

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Great that you can pass the colour thing at all.....neat.   Do you just rely on "pot luck"?

The letter lasts for 30 days.

It's a stab in the dark.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, giddyup said:

Perhaps you can PM me as to what this "extra consideration" method might be. If it involves so called "tea money" I very much doubt if that's possible at Pattaya transport office.

Another one suggesting a member engages in an illegal activity.  Wonder if he does it himself? No wonder some get bad names.:wai:

Just now, tryasimight said:

How long is the "Letter of Residence" good for?         

Mine was good up until the missus caught me shagging her sister.

Another feeble attempt at humour.

Strange, my Thai partner rang the Transport Dept. this morning and they told her 90 days.

This is Thailand. There are official and local rules and regulations. So always ask your local officials what they want.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Strange, my Thai partner rang the Transport Dept. this morning and they told her 90 days.

I went to the office near Pattaya .  Things will vary at different offices. This is common throughout Thailand.

3 minutes ago, how241 said:

Things will vary at different offices. This is common throughout Thailand.

The same applies to the 'extra consideration' I mentioned earlier and which it seems you've been waiting with bated breath for enlightenment? Unfortunately, it is way, way too delicate a matter for any foreigner to address directly and certainly proscribed in these hallowed pages.

I understand from other posts that you have a Thai partner?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The same applies to the 'extra consideration' I mentioned earlier and which it seems you've been waiting with bated breath for enlightenment? Unfortunately, it is way, way too delicate a matter for any foreigner to address directly and certainly proscribed in these hallowed pages.

Correct.