Legalize documents at the ministry of foreign affairs

I am having some problems to legalize my educational degree at the ministry of foreign affairs in Chaengwattana.

As it's quite urgent do get it done,does anyone knows a "fast track system " or person to help me get it done asap? 

Appreciated  any info.

You cannot legalize a degree at the department of consular affairs unless it it was issued here.

The can certify translations and other documents done here.

You can only legalize a degree from outside the country at your embassy or in the country where it was issued.

First step - see if your Embassy will certify the document.  If they will, you can then get an MFA stamp certifying the Embassy's signature is valid. 

All the translators near embassy-row will know the drill with the MFA (even if no translation is involved), and could help if you need something certified by the MFA and then mailed to you - but you will have to do the Embassy part before they could help.  And if in Bangkok, it is easier / faster to do the 2nd, MFA-step, yourself. 

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

First step - see if your Embassy will certify the document.  If they will, you can then get an MFA stamp certifying the Embassy's signature is valid. 

All the translators near embassy-row will know the drill with the MFA (even if no translation is involved), and could help if you need something certified by the MFA and then mailed to you - but you will have to do the Embassy part before they could help.  And if in Bangkok, it is easier / faster to do the 2nd, MFA-step, yourself. 

Do you mean that they normally hang around outside several embassies or just by the ministry of foreigner affairs itself? 

Edited by Eibarres

13 minutes ago, Eibarres said:

Do you mean that they normally hang around outside several embassies or just by the ministry of foreigner affairs itself?

There is a translator service inside the MFA building and at the entrance a lot of people who will approach you to ask if you need any help with something.

I prefer to call it the location where certifications are done the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. The main offices of the MFA are in a different location.

There is a flow chart on their website here click the English version to enlarge it. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html  

Map for its location is here. https://goo.gl/maps/tLh8GcupMpR2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eibarres said:

I have not been to the MFA office - others report you can get services there.  I am familiar with the ones near Phloen Chit BTS station.  There are many translator-offices in that area - easy to go right after visiting your embassy, without a trip out past the last BTS to the MFA Dept of Consular Affairs.

Edited by JackThompson

Firstly, you don't need to translate educational qualifications. I found this out when applying for citizenship.

Secondly, you could translate it yourself as there is not a "certifying body" in Thailand for translators. I know this as I work as one.

You can get things verified at the MOFA.

• 6 months later...

I am having a somewhat similar problem. I just had my Marriage Certificate certified by the Canadian Consular Services.

Now I need the Certificate translated and then have the MFA certify it.

I am being hung up by the service a friend recommended, as they are too busy to answer my email and to give me a price quotation. 

Can anyone recommend a translation service near/at the MFA building (other than BHI Media) ? 

Thanks 

@sendintheclowns.....  There is a translation shop inside the MFA Consular building.  it is on the second floor directly in front of you as you reach the top of the escalator.  The 'shop' is run by officers who work for the MFA Legalisation Department (they work in the shop as a second job).  They have ready made templates which they can fill in with your specific details fairly quickly.  Their prices are about the same as you would pay outside.  The bonus being that in the unlikely event that there is a problem with legalisation, they will sort it out very quickly as they are on site.  I am given to understand that they can also arrange to have the document legalised at an extra cost.

Hope this helps.

MFA-Translation-Shop.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/07/2017 at 2:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

I prefer to call it the location where certifications are done the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. The main offices of the MFA are in a different location.

There is a flow chart on their website here click the English version to enlarge it. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html  

Call it what you want its still the MFA

8 hours ago, Ditto said:
On 7/19/2017 at 2:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

Sure, but don't you think it is prudent to refer to it in terms that make it more likely those needing the service will go to the correct office?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ditto said:

If you stop a taxi in Bangkok and ask to be take you to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), the betting is 10-2-1 that you will end up at the main MFA building located on Thanon Si Ayutthaya near the centre of Bangkok.  The Legalisation Division which is part of the Department Consular Affairs does not ‘live’ there, they ‘live about 25km away on the Chang Watthana Road.

So asking for the MFA could be a waste of time and a costly taxis fare.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

(related subject) I need to get my Thai Police Check Notarized, (before I can get an Embassy Stamp from the Korean Embassy)

I don't need it 'legalized'.

The Korean Embassy told me to go to the MFA to do this. But, the help I need is do I get the notarized stamp at the MFA headquarters or at the Consular building as the above post as stated.

Since I'm up in SakonNakhon working, any help to save extra trips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. (first post ever in a forum)

Not sure what you can get done.

Is the police clearance in Thai. Perhaps it needs to be translated and the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department.

This is what they will do for a police clearance certificate.

Rough translation of this page. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/79609-การรับรอง---เอกสารสำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติ.html

Certificate - a document the police    are 

- Certificate of conduct
- a certificate of no criminal record.

Approval 

1. English documents                  - stamp of the authorized signatory  
                                                           - "Certified genuine signature of ..."

2. Thai                      - language case - History of prosecution 
    - Original Thai - "Seen at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs"  
    - English translation - "Seen at the Minsitry of Foreign Affairs" 

Chart of the procedures and fees. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html

Info for doing it by mail: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/72113-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์---Mailing-Service.html

Application form for the service download. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/แบบฟอร์มคำขอรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร - 60 E(2).doc

Thanks Ubonjoe.

I pick up Police Check Monday, then have two days In BKK to hopefully get everything done. the Charts and links helped.

Yeah, i just think the Korean Embassy needs some sort of 'official stamp' from the MFA. Should have enough time to get it all sorted out. 

thanks again!

14 hours ago, cyrenius90 said:

..... But, the help I need is do I get the notarized stamp at the MFA headquarters or at the Consular building as the above post as stated.

FYI - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) headquarters are located Thanon Si Ayutthaya near the centre of Bangkok.  Do not go there as they are the diplomatic headquarters and will not be able to deal with your request.  You will need to go to the MFA Department of Consular Affairs (Legalisation Division) building to get your document(s) 'certified'.  This is located on the Chang Watthana Road on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I would endorse Ubonjoe's comments and information that he provided above (post #17).  It can be done by post, or by personal attendance.  If you want to DIY in one day you will need to submit your documents before 09:30am to be able to collect after 2.00pm  The building opens at 7:00am although they wont let you up to the Legalisation Department until 08:30am.  This will mean a long wait but there is a food hall and coffee shops to while away the hours.  Alternative is to submit documents and get them to post them back to you by EMS at a small extra cost - they will arrive back in a couple of days.

Good luck. 

• 4 months later...

if anyone is still interested.....

you can get the police clearance done for 100 baht.  you need your passport + copies (do not need certified copy), and a letter from the company hiring you (the reason for the report).  the nice officers will take your fingerprints and then digital photos.  the report will be in english with a statement "for the authorities of xxxxx country only". 

when you apply, you get a pickup notice dated 6 weeks later.  the application lady told me i could get expedited service for an additional 2500 baht.

if the korean embassy is anything like the chinese embassy, they will authenticate documents in english only, and only with a legalization stamp from the ministry of foreign affairs.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, I need to translate and legalise my dad's permanent residency document urgently for a UK visa. The problem he is disabled and I would have to do this and my Thai is very limited. Someone mentioned on this thread that there is a translation office right where the legalisation happens. Where is the location? What would I say to a taxi and can this be done in a day? Also would this translation office sort out the certification and legalisation? Is there an easier way using lawyers?

Thanks. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

23 hours ago, thika said:

Hi everyone, I need to translate and legalise my dad's permanent residency document urgently for a UK visa. The problem he is disabled and I would have to do this and my Thai is very limited. Someone mentioned on this thread that there is a translation office right where the legalisation happens. Where is the location? What would I say to a taxi and can this be done in a day? Also would this translation office sort out the certification and legalisation? Is there an easier way using lawyers?

Thanks. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

There is a translations service shop located on the 2nd floor of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Consular Affairs – Legalisation Division building located on Chang Watthana Road on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Getting there will depend upon where you are coming from.  If you are in Bangkok, take the BTS to Mo Chit.  Descend from the station of the park side (that’s the side you get out of the train) and go to the taxi rank.  Just ask the driver to take you to the Consular Affairs building in Chang Watthana.  It’s a fairly regular trip for them so should not present you with any problems.  It is a long way so don’t be alarmed.  The trip will cost you about 120 THB, depending upon traffic conditions.

FYI….. There are also a number of ‘freelance’ translators who will offer their services as you enter the building.

The staff in the translation shop are actually MFA employees who work in the shop on a part time basis.  The bonus with using them is that if there is any problem when the document is being legalised, they are in the best position to get it sorted quickly.

The translation process will depend upon the complexity of the document, the number of pages and the shop’s current workload.  I am given to understand that the shop has a large range of document ‘templates’, so if your document is one of them, then they only need to add the specifics e.g. name, DOB etc. and the process could be completed very quickly.  On the other hand, if your document is not in their existing range of templates it could possibly take a day to process.

Once the document has been translated it can then be submitted to the Legalisation Office located on the 3rd floor. 

The quickest that you can get a document legalised is the same day.  However, in order to use the same day service, the document needs to be submitted to the office before 09:30am.  You then collect it after 2:00pm that day. 

The translation shop can arrange for your document to be legalised.  I don’t know if they are able to get it legalised on the same day.  What they can arrange is for the Legalisation Office to return your document to you by EMS postal service which is very reliable and saves you waiting around all day or possibly having to go back the next day to collect it.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Currently planning to get married to my Thai gf. I have a questions regarding translation and certification of the required documents. hope someone can help me clear some things up.

In order to obtain the affirmation to marry from my Embassy, i need to hand over an 'unmarried statement' from my Thai gf(that she obtains from her local amphoer) This document has to be translated from Thai to English and legalized/certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, before I can hand it in at my Embassy.

Now my question is; Does my Thai gf has to get the translation and the legalize/certify stamps herself in person (at the MFA)

Or is it possible for me to do it myself as a foreigner, even though it is her Thai document?

Thanks in advance ????

Cheers.

21 minutes ago, Filterkoffie said:

Now my question is; Does my Thai gf has to get the translation and the legalize/certify stamps herself in person (at the MFA)

Or is it possible for me to do it myself as a foreigner, even though it is her Thai document?

You can do it if you have a signed copy for her ID card and house book registry.

You can also pay the translation service to do it for you,

On 9/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Filterkoffie said:

Hi Guys,

Currently planning to get married to my Thai gf. I have a questions regarding translation and certification of the required documents. hope someone can help me clear some things up.

In order to obtain the affirmation to marry from my Embassy, i need to hand over an 'unmarried statement' from my Thai gf(that she obtains from her local amphoer) This document has to be translated from Thai to English and legalized/certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, before I can hand it in at my Embassy.

Thanks in advance ????

Cheers.

i believe you will also need a "statement of authority" signed by your girlfriend to allow you to get the form legalized for her.

that will require a couple of tax stamps affixed to the statement, available from the copy dude on the second floor at the chang wattana ministry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Them or at most translation services.

Do you happen to know what time these translation services open in the morning and how fast they get the translations done? (So just only the ''unmarried/single statement'')

This might be a long shot, but do you think it would be possible to arrive there at around 8am on monday (7oct) and get the translation done before 9.30, so I can receive it the same day. Reason is that I can only make an appointment at my Embassy on Tuesday 8oct early in the morning. Otherwise I have to wait another 2 weeks to be able to make an appointment at my Embassy. Want to get this done as quickly as possible ????

27 minutes ago, Filterkoffie said:

Do you happen to know what time these translation services open in the morning and how fast they get the translations done? (So just only the ''unmarried/single statement'')

This might be a long shot, but do you think it would be possible to arrive there at around 8am on monday (7oct) and get the translation done before 9.30, so I can receive it the same day. Reason is that I can only make an appointment at my Embassy on Tuesday 8oct early in the morning. Otherwise I have to wait another 2 weeks to be able to make an appointment at my Embassy. Want to get this done as quickly as possible ????

Not sure what time they open.

Perhaps contact a translation service about sending them the document by EMS tomorrow so they could get it done before Monday.

The documents must be submitted before 9:30 to get same day service the Consular Affairs Department.